Advanced search

Sophia too popular?!

(23 Posts)
Silver45 Wed 10-Jun-15 17:44:37

What do you think?

Silver45 Wed 10-Jun-15 20:32:55

Anyone?

MadauntofA Wed 10-Jun-15 20:37:01

My DD's name, she is 10 and we have only come across 1 other over the last few years, not sure about new babies if you are planning on calling yours Sophia?

Only1scoop Wed 10-Jun-15 20:38:04

It's really popular at the moment but also a timeless classic.

Beautiful

tellmemore1982 Wed 10-Jun-15 20:41:34

It's very popular along with Sophie, at least a couple in most classes at the moment

wigglesrock Wed 10-Jun-15 20:53:25

I have a 10 year old one, although it spelt differently. She's the only one in her primary school, although there will be 3 starting in September. I don't know many baby ones. Its a lovely name.

DampAndRotten Wed 10-Jun-15 21:11:48

It depends if you mind..

It is very popular but it's also very beautiful. My own name was the most popular girl's name in the year I was born and it's never bothered me. I was "different" at school for plenty of reasons and tbh was grateful that my name wasn't something else that marked me as the odd one out.

Rox19 Wed 10-Jun-15 23:51:34

The new Isabella
I'd avoid
It's everywhere where there's girls aged 0-10: there will be a guaranteed evie, Isabella and Sophia

TheNewStatesman Thu 11-Jun-15 03:00:03

What do you mean by "too", though?

It's REALLY popular. But it is a very nice name, nothing wrong with it.

It depends on whether you want a popular name or not.

Silver45 Thu 11-Jun-15 06:21:21

I suppose I mean 'too popular' in that I don't want her to be surrounded by other Sophia's in her class etc. I wish I could think of an alternative I like as much!

2boys2girls Thu 11-Jun-15 06:27:16

It's popular but I guarantee what ever name you choose you'll hear a lot ... If you love go for it

bluewisteria Thu 11-Jun-15 06:48:18

Cordelia is one of my favourites, not too popular, has a similar tone to Sophia.

bluewisteria Thu 11-Jun-15 06:54:06

Oh, and our nursery has lots of Sophie's and Sophia's, all under 3.5 years. It's a small nursery too.
It might be less popular the year your child is born but there will definitely be some in the school, maybe her class/year depending in how big it is. No idea if it is more popular in some areas than others but we are in the South West if that helps.
I think it is a beautiful name though. Would be on our short list if not so popular. But as others have said, use it unless popularity really bothers you.

AuntieStella Thu 11-Jun-15 07:04:49

It's in very frequent use: If you add together Sophie/Sophia/Sofia, it's been the top name for some time.

Does that bother you?

Because remember the number of baby girls given the 'top' name is about half the number it was a few of decades ago, and that also needs to be set against a much larger population.

Also, remember that if you choose a name knowing there'll be a few others around, you won't really notice if you meet one. If you choose an unusual name, and Sod's law means there is another one on the next street (who will end up going to same clubs, same school etc) you may have a different reaction.

BeautifulStars93 Thu 11-Jun-15 07:46:43

people say its popular. I only know 1 x

GoodbyeToAllOfThat Thu 11-Jun-15 15:26:26

There are probably about 20 Sophias around at my kids' school. I certainly would avoid it.

PallasCat Thu 11-Jun-15 15:28:18

Beautiful name, but if you want a one-of-a-kind, it's not the one.

Silver45 Thu 11-Jun-15 18:22:20

So tricky. I'm none the wiser. I love it but don't want my daughter to be one of many in a classroom. I LOVE it though...!!

Ludways Thu 11-Jun-15 18:33:28

I gave my dd a name which wasn't in the top 50 for the year she was born or the next year, 3 years later it was number 1. You really just don't know what's going to happen. You just have to go with what you love.

waxweasel Fri 12-Jun-15 23:19:28

I have met so, so many toddler Sophias. In any toddler group of say 10 girls, 2 or 3 will invariably be called Sophia or Sophie. It's a shame because I love it too and it was on our shortlist for DD.
We're in SE London and I think part of the reason it seems so prevalent is because as well as being popular with British parents atm it is also seemingly top of some other big ethnic groups' name lists right now - I know quite a few Russian/Serbian/Italian/Spanish Sophia/Sofia/Sofijas all of toddler age round here. But if you love it, go for it!
Also my DD calls her friend Sofia 'Fia', which I think is a lovely nickname smile

Bluepetra Sun 14-Jun-15 00:11:44

I think it's a lovely soft feminine name.

TheJunctionBaby Sun 14-Jun-15 01:08:06

I love it. Go for what you love

swancourt Mon 15-Jun-15 08:53:31

Go for the name you love. Don't worry about popularity. There are hundreds of names and even the most popular names aren't as popular as you might think. Lovely name smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now