'Filler' middle names for boys

(32 Posts)
katiegg Wed 03-Jun-15 23:37:39

I am in no way meaning this post to be offensive or rude, just genuinely curious.

Friend and I have been chatting this evening about baby names, and particularly middle names. We were talking about how there seems to be some names that are very popular as middle names or as the second part of a double-barrel first name - Rose, May/Mae, Rae, Joy... and if I think back to when I was a child, it seemed every other girl had Louise as their middle name.

We were wondering if this is specifically a trend in girls names as we can't think of any equivalents for boys names?

stillsingingintherain Wed 03-Jun-15 23:46:03

I thinkk James is fairly common for a middle name and Lee (although not so much these days with Lee).

Its def not a 'thing' like it is with girls though!

stillsingingintherain Wed 03-Jun-15 23:47:19

Ps my middle name is Louise grin

TheNewStatesman Thu 04-Jun-15 02:10:29

I think there is more of a tendency to give boys middle names taken from family members.

seaoflove Thu 04-Jun-15 02:20:06

It's definitely more of a trend with girl's middle names - Rose, Grace, May (and variants) seem to be the main ones.

My middle name is Louise as well grin

katiegg Thu 04-Jun-15 09:17:28

that's interesting that it seems to mainly be a trend with girls names.

I used to be insanely jealous of the girls at school who had Louise as I middle name. I hated my middle name and went through I phase of telling people my middle name was Louise until I got caught out!

FunkyPeacock Thu 04-Jun-15 09:27:14

My DS has John as his middle name and I jokingly refer to this as 'generic boys middle name'!

We used it as it is the middle name of DH, my Dad & late FIL

I know it is not very inspirational but it's a strong classic name IMO and flows well between DS's first name & our surname

TheTravellingLemon Thu 04-Jun-15 09:44:45

My DS has the middle name John too smile

CordeliaFrost Thu 04-Jun-15 10:11:30

I think it's James.

In my son's nursery class, there are eight boys, and half of them have James as a middle name.

littleostrich Thu 04-Jun-15 10:13:03

I know a lot of babies / toddlers with James as a middle name too.

LotsaDots Thu 04-Jun-15 10:40:03

I always wanted a middle name and felt left out at school when all the girls had louise or jane or something. I'm over it nowgrin

LotsaDots Thu 04-Jun-15 10:40:52

yes James I think is a well used middle name for boys

Evanna13 Thu 04-Jun-15 10:43:53

James came to mind for me, its a lovely name.

flowery Thu 04-Jun-15 10:47:01

I never see the point in "filler" middle names purely for the sake of it tbh. If there's not a name you want to give your child for an actual reason, why bother?

seaoflove Thu 04-Jun-15 11:40:22

I agree flowery. I hate my middle name because it's so bland and meaningless. But like Rose and Grace and May, Louise was just one of those names that flowed well with whatever was put in front of it, which is why it was so popular.

I wish my parents had come up with something better!

Legionofboom Thu 04-Jun-15 12:48:43

I would say that John was the male equivalent of Louise and James is now the male equivalent of Rose or Grace.

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 04-Jun-15 12:54:11

Both my children have got common middle names you'd consider to be 'fillers' but it's because they are named after Grandparents. Nothing to do with current trends!

CordeliaFrost Thu 04-Jun-15 13:43:22

AlwaysDancing - there will, of course, always be people like yourself, who use these names for family reasons (and not as 'fillers'). Your children will know that, they will know their middle names have meaning, as opposed to just being the 'default' choice as they are for some.

My niece's middle name is Rose, which is for family reasons, and when anyone ever asks my SIL what DN's middle name is she finds herself saying, "Rose - after my grandmother - not because everyone else is doing it!" grin

RaaRaaTheLion Thu 04-Jun-15 13:48:03

DD has Joy as a middle name because it's my grandmothers name, and her first two initials are what my late grandfather was known as.

I think it's far less common for boys to have 'filler' middle names though, although -James seems on the up.

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 04-Jun-15 14:03:59

Rose - after my grandmother - not because everyone else is doing it!"
I've found myself saying the same grin

mewkins Thu 04-Jun-15 14:13:26

I have Louise as a middle name and every girl my age had either that or Ann. However in my case it was linked to my godmother so not a filler really.
Most boys my age had their dad's name or grandad's if they were a second son. My theory is that parents want to give girls 'pretty names' while for boys they want to carry on family naming traditions. I have a few friends though who have family names or even their mum's maiden name as a middle name.

katiegg Thu 04-Jun-15 14:46:25

oh I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to cause offence to anyone who has used these names. I know they are often used because of family significance. Filler middle names is probably the wrong term, names that are popular as middle names might have been better. And popular names are popular for a reason smile

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 04-Jun-15 15:15:37

No offence taken katiegg I understand what you mean about certain middle names being very popular in different decades

EmmaWoodlouse Thu 04-Jun-15 16:32:02

I'd say mainly James and John too, although I also happen to know quite a few little boys with David as a middle name at the moment.

Moffit Sat 06-Jun-15 22:38:56

My daughter has the middle name May, but she was named after DH grandmother and I didn't know it was so popular until after she was named! It does seem more common amongst girls than boys, we are looking to family names again as middle names when we name DC2. But I do know two boys with James and John.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now