Talk

Advanced search

Lily Elizabeth

(28 Posts)
swancourt Wed 03-Jun-15 22:30:03

Opinions?

VixxFace Wed 03-Jun-15 22:30:54

Sounds a bit repetitive.The lily and elee.

mappemonde Wed 03-Jun-15 22:31:41

An elizabeth I know has lily-beth as a pet name so it sounds repetitious to my ears. Very pretty names though.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Wed 03-Jun-15 22:33:02

L L L L L L

Sorry, needs a name in the middle if you want to use both

meringue33 Wed 03-Jun-15 22:35:08

I know a Lily short for Elizabeth so wouldn't have both ifswim

Stinkersmum Wed 03-Jun-15 22:40:04

Yeah, lily is used as short version of Elizabeth so no.

Theas18 Wed 03-Jun-15 22:41:16

Way too many l s.

I don't have a speech problem and I get tongue fatigue saying it.

Also begs the nickname Ellie - of which there are many at the moment.

But your baby your name and it isn't awfulatvall just tricky.

fatbottomgirl67 Wed 03-Jun-15 22:46:18

What about lily Bethan ( welsh name for Elizabeth )

MrsHathaway Wed 03-Jun-15 22:47:45

Yy to Lily as diminutive of Elizabeth. You can use both without making a tongue twister!

ScorpioMermaid Wed 03-Jun-15 22:48:23

My name has a repetitive L sound like that and it gets on my nerves.. Always has since being a child. I drop the second part purposely so I don't have to say it sad

ChannelingFlop Wed 03-Jun-15 22:49:52

Yes, lily is Elizabeth. It would be like calling them Kate Katherine.

fourchetteoff Wed 03-Jun-15 22:53:34

As the others say. It's a bit strange because of the 'repetition'. You can always call her Elizabeth Something and just use Lily as short for Elizabeth, especially as it gives her flexibility in later life..

Mumoftwoyoungkids Wed 03-Jun-15 22:54:02

Two lovely lovely names. (Both were on our list.) But don't work together as too repetitive.

longbottom Wed 03-Jun-15 22:56:16

I love it! Both names are in my two daughters names smile

BackforGood Wed 03-Jun-15 23:03:54

Most peple dont use their middle name most of the time though, so day to day would she be Lily?
Nice enough name, bu I visit a lot of Nurseries and it seems every 3rd child (well, girl) is currently called Lily, or Lily-Mae

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 03-Jun-15 23:42:20

Doesn't flow at all. Agree it's very repetitive. Sorry don't like.

nooka Thu 04-Jun-15 02:47:13

Lily is a name in it's own right (from the flower). I'd be surprised to meet a Lily who was really an Elizabeth, and think you can have both without that being an issue. Elizabeth has so many diminutives, I really don't think it is at all like Kate Katherine (to me the equivalent would be more Lizzie Elizabeth).

It is very popular though, and yes perhaps too many 'l's. Depends a bit on your surname whether that's an issue, I don't think people often use the full name without the surname

Stinkersmum Thu 04-Jun-15 06:03:45

My mother is an Elizabeth that goes by Lily. Very common in Ireland.

MairzyDoats Thu 04-Jun-15 06:10:53

I really like it, but then I love both names. And it's not as though people will call her by her full name all the time is it? Lily Beth is an adorable nickname.

iusedtobecool Thu 04-Jun-15 06:23:08

Funny, I have this dilemma too. If I have a little girl, I wanted to use both names as middle names which have family connections. I do realise that one is a version of the other. Gorgeous names though.

AuntieStella Thu 04-Jun-15 06:37:47

It's a well-known nn, because the Queen was Lillibet to family as a little girl.

I think names that are an homage to her are increasingly frequent, not just Elizabeth itself, but also Gloria.

nooka Thu 04-Jun-15 06:42:16

Lily has been in the top five names for that last ten years (if you include all the hypothenated versions) and a widely used name for many years before that I doubt very much that most people calling their dd's Lily are thinking of the queen!

AuntieStella Thu 04-Jun-15 06:50:17

No, most won't, and I never meant that for just Lily.

I meant to refer only to the two names that are such a royalist combination (because of Lillibet being such an rare nn), and that this must be a positive to many because Queenly names seem to be on the up.

nooka Thu 04-Jun-15 06:58:59

I think Elizabeth is on the decline at the moment names.darkgreener.com/#elisabeth although the combinations based on Eliza are definitely on the increase names.darkgreener.com/#eliza

sweetpeame Thu 04-Jun-15 09:30:11

It sounds like a bit of a mouthful to me so I wouldn't put them together necessarily. In saying that I'm of the opinion (often stated!) that middle names are irrelevant for the majority of people so ultimately it doesn't matter. Re. Lily, although it's very popular according to the stats, I only know two in nursery/toddler groups/friends children etc in London where we live so I wouldn't let that put you off necessarily. Weirdly I seem to come across more children with recurring "unusual" names grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now