Talk

Advanced search

Luke or Thomas

(31 Posts)
Evanna13 Wed 03-Jun-15 10:08:56

I thought I had decided on the name Luke for a boy as I like that it is simple, classic and cannot be shortened with a nickname.
I have a love hate relationship with the name Thomas. I like that it is a classic name, not too popular where I live but I do not like the nickname Tom.
Which do you prefer? The full names will be:
Luke Francis
Thomas James
I will not go with Luke Thomas as I want a middle name with family history (Francis or James).
Our choice for a girl is Anna.
Thank you.

PandaMummyofOne Wed 03-Jun-15 10:09:47

Thomas James, but then I have a Thomas Jack so obviously I am a little biased.

SpendSpendSpend Wed 03-Jun-15 10:12:06

I prefer Luke

stillsingingintherain Wed 03-Jun-15 10:22:13

If you dont like Tom you really cant use Thomas! He will be known as Tom, maybe not a first but definitely at secondary school and adulthood.

Luke is quite sweet but I personally prefer Luca

stillsingingintherain Wed 03-Jun-15 10:23:16

Luca James - perfect! smile

stillsingingintherain Wed 03-Jun-15 10:23:45

Or Lucas

WaferInMyCoffee Wed 03-Jun-15 10:25:57

These were the two names I was torn between using as a middle name for my son! I chose Luke. If you don't like Tom then definitely go for Luke, cos I think it is almost inevitable that a Thomas will become Tom at some point.

I love the name Luke.

LemonYellowSun Wed 03-Jun-15 10:27:08

I really like Luke Francis. Its a lovely strong name. Better than the more popular versions like Lucas and Luca in my opinion.

If you don't like Tom, then I think you should steer clear of Thomas.

Evanna13 Wed 03-Jun-15 10:36:50

Thanks so much for all the replies.
I do really like Luca but I think it is a bit trendy where I live at the moment and I would prefer to go with something classic.

SylvaniansAtEase Wed 03-Jun-15 10:51:05

I much prefer Thomas, but to be honest if you dislike Tom I wouldn't use it.

I think Luke is pretty weak as a 'classic' name - I know by origin it couldn't be more classic, but I'd bracket it in with names like Liam - somehow more fashion-y than classic - if that makes sense. Nice though!

I irrationally dislike Francis - I find it jarring, it comes across as too feminine perhaps - but even leaving that aside James is so much better.

Thomas James, but Luke James if you really hate Tom. Could you spell it Thom??

Sophronia Wed 03-Jun-15 11:24:03

Luke Francis is great. Thomas is a lovely name too but I think Tom would be inevitable. Do you like Tommy?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 03-Jun-15 11:26:42

Much prefer Luke to Thomas.

I love Tom, but conversely really dislike the full Thomas.

Evanna13 Wed 03-Jun-15 11:34:42

Unfortunately I like Tommy even less than Tom!
I think it will have to be Luke. I do feel that Luke is a classic, it is a strong biblical name - one of the four evangalists along with Matthew, Mark and John. I have not chosen it for religious reasons though...I just like the name.

reuset Wed 03-Jun-15 12:20:29

Thomas. But you have to like Tom really, or at least be able to tolerate it.

I like Francis for the first name

PebblesBamBam Wed 03-Jun-15 12:21:04

Agree with other replies that I really wouldn't use Thomas if you don't like Tom, it will be inevitable. Luke is lovely.

BikeRunSki Wed 03-Jun-15 12:50:56

I much prefer Luke to Thomas too. It manages to be both known, but little used.

KitZacJak Wed 03-Jun-15 12:58:04

Thomas is extremely popular where I live. I like Luke yet not many people seem to use it, however there seems to be a lot of Lucas, Luca and Louis around.

CruCru Wed 03-Jun-15 17:36:26

Luke is a nice name. I like Thomas but it is one of those names (like Matthew, Michael, Joshua) where there is an obvious and inescapable nickname.

akorda Wed 03-Jun-15 18:22:11

Luke is lovely! Thomas is too, but Luke is much more unusual these days.

Lucy61 Wed 03-Jun-15 18:25:04

Luke is lovely.

Wheresmypassport Wed 03-Jun-15 18:27:31

My DS is Thomas and has a friend called Luke. We never shorten his name to Tom and neither does he, but Ive noticed people calling him Tom the older he gets (10). I don't mind Tom but he doesn't look lik a Tom in my opinion. I can't stand Tommy though. If you really hate the name Tom you may be better going for Luke.

Surf25 Wed 03-Jun-15 20:42:21

Luke. Great name.

CPtart Wed 03-Jun-15 20:53:38

Luke (biased). Timeless, classless and not easily shortened. Luca and Lucas far more daddy IMO, and Lucas very popular. My nephew is Thomas James, he gets Tom at school whether his parents like it or not.

CPtart Wed 03-Jun-15 20:55:25

Faddy not daddy!

Stinkersmum Wed 03-Jun-15 22:49:06

Both are lovely. Not Luca though. Reminds me of the Susanne Vega song. Not good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now