Talk

Advanced search

Toby and Theo are crazily popular!

(44 Posts)
haleandhearty Fri 29-May-15 21:28:36

Every other baby/toddler I meet has one of the above names!
Why have they suddenly become so popular? Where did they come from?
Is there a celeb/Eastenders connection I'm missing?

Just out of interest really!

HuftysTrain Sat 30-May-15 02:50:56

Have they? Where I live there seems to be a law passed that states all make babies must be called Oscar with the caveat that if you don't fancy Oscar you may choose George instead.

I love Toby and Theo.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 30-May-15 03:03:10

Oscar here too! Don't know any Toby's

madwomanbackintheattic Sat 30-May-15 03:05:23

Really? They were my boy's names for dd1 fifteen years ago... Weird.

GooodMythicalMorning Sat 30-May-15 03:44:05

Yes. Toby is very popular where I live.

Newshoesplease Sat 30-May-15 03:54:35

I have a Theo's who's 6.i confess. I started the trend grin

Newshoesplease Sat 30-May-15 03:54:54

Theo*

AuntieStella Sat 30-May-15 06:46:09

I think they must have turned into hardy perennials. There are boys of each name in my DSes (teens) classes.

FlyDragonfly1 Sat 30-May-15 10:23:05

There are an abundance of Oscars and Olivers where I live. I know one Tobias (Toby) and one Theo, but they're both 20!

reuset Sat 30-May-15 10:29:15

Don't know about celebs.

But Toby's been really popular for at least a couple of decades. I have noticed it getting more so, it sort of plateaued recently in stat terms.

Theo is what I'd call more the fashion. No idea why. Though it's an appealing name I suppose Theodore I like too and Theodora

WinterBabyof89 Sat 30-May-15 10:36:19

There are two Theos in my son's preschool class - one of them is mine!

My DH picked it. It'll likely continue to grow in popularity for a while but think it will eventually die down - doubt it will become a 'classic' like Harry or Jack.. But who knows!?

Don't know any Tobys though.

JugglingLife Sat 30-May-15 10:38:27

My Theo's 7 now, he's the only one in the school that I'm aware of. The plan was to call him Teddy as a nick name, never did though.

FluffyJawsOfDoom Sat 30-May-15 11:35:44

Theo is a popular footballer I think?

MamaLazarou Sat 30-May-15 11:40:29

I don't know any Theos or Tobys. Every single baby boy of my acquaintance is called Ethan!

codandchipstwice Sat 30-May-15 11:45:03

My Theo is 10 and only Theo I knew back then was 50+. Was a toss up between that and Thomas, and there's only him and one other in his 350+ school. Wanted to call his sister Dorothy until realised was in effect the same name

Maladicta Sat 30-May-15 11:50:06

My Toby's the only one at his infant school, there's one at juniors.
I know a couple of Theos but certainly not to the level I'd say made them fashionable.

changingagain Sat 30-May-15 16:17:37

I like Theo (Theodore) for DS, I first heard it as the main character in a book I read last year. MN is putting me off though as so many people say it's over used. I thought it was unusual before looking on here but DS will be our first and we don't know that many young children.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 30-May-15 16:55:22

I beg to differ. Where I'm from, there's an abundance of Harrys Alfies Charlies Oscars Olivers.
I've only met one Theo. He was a lovely little boy and never met a Toby. Both beautiful and as far as I'm concerned under used names.
If I hear another baby boy named one of the ones I've quoted above I swear I'll scream. FGS they're not the only boys names on the planet. Broaden your horizons. See further!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 30-May-15 17:22:34

Think I might live in the same place as you liveinalighthouse! Either that or there are lots of unimaginative people in the country!

Sophronia Sat 30-May-15 17:39:52

I don't know any Theos, and the only Toby I know is 22. Where I live it's Oscar and Oliver, and Finn seems to be quite popular too.

Excitingtimesahead Sat 30-May-15 17:48:25

I have a theo who is 2, he is the only one I've come across in our area.

TheDetective Sat 30-May-15 17:50:57

Oh bloody hell! I have an Ethan, an Oscar, and being induced tomorrow and have Toby as a serious contender for top of the list. strikes off list and moves down to Jonah grin

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 30-May-15 18:32:24

Fantastic news. Good luck, Detective

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sat 30-May-15 18:34:37

My Theo is 7, we know one 6 year old but that's it, throughout nursery and the 2 schools he's been at.

Only know one Tobey, he's 11.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 30-May-15 18:35:41

Lots of Theos here, but not met a little Toby yet. Only famous Theos I can think of are Walcott and the one off the chipmunks.
There's loads of Maxs where I live. Maximilian, Maximus etc but all end up being called Max

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now