Henry, Reuben, Joshua, Theo... completely lacking inspiration for DC2.

(39 Posts)
ShootTheMoon Wed 27-May-15 15:36:37

We're expecting a DS this time around and neither DH nor I can find a name that we love, much less one that we can agree on.

DD has a Shakepearean name which is classic, underused but familiar, and in general something we're very happy with. I'd love to get close to this feeling with a name for DS.

I had Henry high on my list with DD but it's extremely popular in our area, and the name of two of our friends, so I just don't think we can do it.

Surname is very commonly used, beginning with 'W' and three syllables. Therefore we can't really use 'Robin' after the recently deceased actor.

In theory I'd love a space/nature themed name, or another literary name. Otherwise, we're vaguely considering Reuben, Joshua, Max and Theo but I'd love some suggestions - maybe you'll think of something we haven't seen!

squigglehead Wed 27-May-15 17:04:20

You maybe have similar taste to me (from your posted names at least!) so...

Zachary
Dexter
Felix
Ezra

...are all names we've considered alongside Joshua, Theo, Reuben and Robin wink

squigglehead Wed 27-May-15 17:10:16

Elijah too!

getbusyliving Wed 27-May-15 17:31:52

Augustus nn Gus?

BartholomewCrouch Wed 27-May-15 17:43:06

Gregory

Douglas

Christopher/Kit

ShootTheMoon Wed 27-May-15 17:54:10

Thanks squiggle - you've hit on some others I have thought about! DH complains when I suggest names with X and Z - he says the poor child will be doomed to be at the end of the alphabet! I do like Ezra.

ShootTheMoon Wed 27-May-15 17:56:22

Getbusy I like that - I have a classics background - but there is at least one in our village already!

Bartholomew, thank you - not so keen on the first two but I'm a big fan of Kit. It's only one letter different from my name though so might be a bit too close.

getbusyliving Wed 27-May-15 18:06:20

How about Hector, similar to Henry
Or
Constantine
Edison
Eli
Malachi
Johann/Hans?

ShootTheMoon Wed 27-May-15 18:10:49

Edison and Eli/Elijah are fab smile

getbusyliving Wed 27-May-15 18:22:46

smile

ConfusedInBath Wed 27-May-15 22:06:42

Gulliver.

BartholomewCrouch Wed 27-May-15 22:22:52

Laurence/Laurie

Marcus

Julian

Sebastian

ShootTheMoon Thu 28-May-15 07:28:59

You've hit on several I liked, Bartholomew, thanks.

ShootTheMoon Thu 28-May-15 10:37:11

and I've just been reminded that I also really like Rowan. But there is already a famous (religious) Rowan with our surname. Hmm.

Sophronia Thu 28-May-15 12:55:27

Leo
Orion
Atticus
Jasper
Tristan
Roman
Jago
Lysander
Rex
Nathaniel
Corin
Marius
Fabian
Oberon
Archer
Cosmo
Magnus
Evren
Jude
Rory
Tobias
Arlo
Dorian
Holden
Rufus
Gabriel

ShootTheMoon Thu 28-May-15 13:19:34

sophronia, thank you. I like the idea of so many of those names, particularly Orion, Archer, Cosmo, Magnus, but I'm just not sure we can pull them off as a family. By which I mostly mean DH has already vetoed them!

mrspremise Thu 28-May-15 17:27:34

Rory is a fantastic name and hasn't been overused like Some names recently ( Harry, Charlie and Joshua , I'm looking at you... wink )

FiveExclamations Thu 28-May-15 17:33:32

Owen
Hugh
Hugo
Hubert
Nicholas
Oswald
Walter

FiveExclamations Thu 28-May-15 17:37:37

And a few lesser used monarch's names:

Edgar
Harold
Stephen

MrsCorr Thu 28-May-15 18:25:20

I've got a Reuben, he's 13 weeks old & completely suits his name! We were unsure for so long but glad that's what we settle on.

Other names we considered (& I'm keeping in mind for any other babies that come alongwink)
Rory
Brody
Dexter
Dylan (after Bob Dylan but it's been so popular in last few years)
Jackson
Nicholas

pumpkinpie5 Thu 28-May-15 18:33:59

I was going to say hector or arlo!

ZingDramaQueenOfSheeba Thu 28-May-15 18:40:24

our boys are called:
Joshua David
Samuel Aaron
Michael Jacob
Noah Matthew
Isaac Benjamin
Elijah Timothy
(also have a DDsmile )

I love Reuben, Raphael & Jonathan (we couldn't use them) as well as Levi, Ezekiel, Abraham and Jonah.
I love Biblical names

applecatchers36 Thu 28-May-15 18:41:06

Otto
Oliver
Jacob
Isaac
Toby
Leon

TheWildRumpyPumpus Thu 28-May-15 18:57:47

I have a Theo and a Nathaniel - both great names if I do say so myself!

carabos Thu 28-May-15 19:19:01

I have a Joshua. He's 29 so it was very unusual then, bit common too popular now grin but I still love it. Theo is great, as is Isaac. What about Asa?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now