Oliver too close to Olivia?

(21 Posts)
lillaura00 Wed 27-May-15 06:33:04

hi, my partner and I really like the name Oliver for our little boy, but I have a sister called Olivia. do you think they are too close? I have an aunt with the same name as myself but I've always thought this is odd (especially as my mum doesn't like her sister all that much). should I be worried? we're trying to find a name we like that fits with the middle name of Michael

icklekid Wed 27-May-15 06:39:36

I thought you were going to say you had a dd called Olivia which might be a bit similar but an Aunt- think thats fine doubt anyone will make a link!

winkywinkola Wed 27-May-15 06:49:55

I wouldn't worry a jot what other relatives are called and how those relatives feel about other relatives of a similar name.

You like the name? Use it. It's lovely.

HoggleHoggle Wed 27-May-15 06:50:38

I agree - for siblings it would be waaaaay too much, but for an aunt/nephew I don't think it's an issue at all.

OurGlass Wed 27-May-15 07:45:32

Going to out myself but I am an Olivia and my brother is called Oliver. Never caused any problems for us. Bit annoying when we lived at home andused to get letters as our initials were the same but on the whole it's fine and it always makes people interested.

QueefOfTheDamned Wed 27-May-15 07:56:40

I know twins called Oliver and Olivia which warrants a hmm IMO but your situation is just fine.

reuset Wed 27-May-15 09:52:57

In your situation is fine

manicinsomniac Thu 28-May-15 01:04:28

For an Aunt it's fine

I have a cousin called Samantha and one of my other cousins (her brother) called his son Samuel. Samantha was honoured, not annoyed.

FireCanal Thu 28-May-15 01:10:58

Aunt - nephew is fine. Siblings less so!

ShadowFire Thu 28-May-15 01:13:55

Oliver and Olivia are very similar names, but I think it's fine if you're talking about a nephew and aunt.

Although I do think people are likely to assume that you've named your son Oliver in honour of your sister.

abram12 Thu 28-May-15 02:33:49

Absolutely fine! I'm not sure many ppl would make the connection!

vulgarwretch Thu 28-May-15 02:52:23

My nephew has a name which is a male version of mine. He is 8 and I only noticed the connection a couple of years ago. So, you're fine.

mathanxiety Thu 28-May-15 06:17:28

What's wrong with using family names? Many people are honoured, as Manicinsomniac says.

AwfulBeryl Thu 28-May-15 08:16:41

Ah, I think it's lovely. I would be over the moon if my family did this. I don't think it's strange at all.

wesH Thu 28-May-15 16:51:30

Of course it's similar, Oliver is literally the male version of Olivia. But I don't see how it would be a problem with an aunt-nephew relationship

DramaAlpaca Thu 28-May-15 16:52:43

In your situation, fine.

cheymommyaz Thu 25-Jun-15 20:11:13

2 close i think dont like matchy sib names

scribblegirl Thu 25-Jun-15 20:14:05

Chey - RTFT

I get your worry OP. I have a sister called Jennifer (very much a Jenny) and I want to use Genevieve. DD would likely be a 'Jen' too (though Gen, but sounds same..) for me it's too close, but with the gender difference I think you'd be ok. I get it though!

PallasCat Fri 26-Jun-15 17:23:34

I think you are worrying unduly. If a connection is drawn, it would only be flattering and respectful. Many families make connections like this deliberately. If you're choosing the name because you like it rather than out of tribute, that's no reason for you to avoid doing something that often happens anyway!
It's a lovely name, BTW. smile

ouryve Fri 26-Jun-15 17:30:03

They would be for siblings (I remember someone with twins called Mark and Marcus!) but not for a child and their aunt!

FuzzyWizard Fri 26-Jun-15 17:34:38

Identical twin girls called Christine and Christina.... I struggled with that one. How is anyone meant to get their names right!

Oliver and Olivia is fine for nephew aunt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now