Talk

Advanced search

Kathleen?

(37 Posts)
Steph1502 Sun 24-May-15 22:27:28

I love Kate. My MIL is Kathleen so I thought OH would be really up for this name but he says no he would want Kathleen and I can shorten to Kate if I want but officially Kathleen on birth certificate. But I don't really want my baby being known as Kathleen because some people would still call her that. Does that make sense? What do you all think? I'm not sure if Kathleen is too old fashioned and I think Kate is much prettier x

ImperialBlether Sun 24-May-15 22:28:47

I really don't like Kathleen. I love Kate, though and love Caitlin, too.

Zebda Sun 24-May-15 22:29:26

Kathleen is a middle aged librarian or office manager...hard to imagine a baby. Can you not go with kathleen as a middle name if you dont like it enough?

Steph1502 Sun 24-May-15 22:29:32

Yes I'm in the same boat as you... I still think Kate is a lovely tribute to his mum though x

Steph1502 Sun 24-May-15 22:30:21

No I already have another middle name (separate thread) x

FatAli Sun 24-May-15 22:30:23

I like Kate, although tbh the Kate Middleton thing would put me off using it.

Not a fan of Kathleen at all.

Steph1502 Sun 24-May-15 22:31:02

See the Kate Middleton thing I actually like. Lol

Zebda Sun 24-May-15 22:31:20

Kate/Katie/Caitlin are all lovely..

WorraLiberty Sun 24-May-15 22:33:34

Kathleen is quite old fashioned.

My Mum was a Kathleen and would be 85yrs old if she were alive.

Mind you, she was known as 'Kitty' all her life.

I really like Kate and Katie.

CrystalMcPistol Sun 24-May-15 22:34:26

I'm not really into giving kids the same first name as a living relative, I think they deserve their own fresh name to start life with.

Steph1502 Sun 24-May-15 22:39:27

I've always liked Kate and it flows with my other 3DCs names. I just thought it would be fitting with my MIL and she would be pleased we dedicated the name to her. My oldest DD is a variation of my gran's name but it's different enough that it's all her own. My OHs family are very into recycling names lol. He was named after his uncle and his older brother after his father and his sister is also Kathleen lol x

getbusyliving Sun 24-May-15 22:55:51

Mil has a namesake in her own daughter, so I'd insist on Kate as there are enough Kathleen'swink

Steph1502 Sun 24-May-15 23:00:05

Very good point thank you lol x

CrystalMcPistol Sun 24-May-15 23:03:01

Her own daughter is a Kathleen too? In that case no way. I'm always suspicious of people who have loads of namesakes.

BertrandRussell Sun 24-May-15 23:05:45

I'm Cathleen. But I have never been anything but Kate. If I had been younger, I probably would have changed the spelling to Cate because the only thing thT has ever called me even the slightest difficulty is having a different initial to my signature. But when I was young, Cate did not exist as an option!

Marcipex Sun 24-May-15 23:05:58

Don't use it if you don't like it! I ended up with a dreary old-lady name in the same way.
Go for Kate, it's pretty and timeless.

Steph1502 Sun 24-May-15 23:06:24

Lol fair enough. I think I'll just keep on with Kate. He will grow to love the name as much as he loves her anyway x

Steph1502 Sun 24-May-15 23:07:37

I agree Marci it's definitely timeless

JustAScreenName Sun 24-May-15 23:13:52

I love Kathleen and all (or most) of its potential nicknames. Kate, Katie, Kathy, Kat, Kitty... all nice.

I love Caitlín too but only if it's pronounced correctly, as kat-leen or caught-leen.

Steph1502 Sun 24-May-15 23:51:01

Wouldn't use Caitlin as we have one on each side already and not a fan of Katie... Tbh I'm just totally stuck on Kate lol

looki Sun 24-May-15 23:58:42

Ironically I really dislike Katie but like Kate but around here there are so many Kate/Katies that it got to a point where I wondered if it was compulsary to use it as a name where I am originally from (Ireland). Hearing it used so often made it a very unimaginative and futile moniker where every child will be known as Kate/Katie X in school.

Steph1502 Mon 25-May-15 00:03:17

Ah I think geography does matter when choosing a name. I don't know anyone who has recently named their child Kate/Katie. And I'm the same I'm not a fan of Katie but love Kate. Don't know why

AlfAlf Mon 25-May-15 00:14:11

I really like it, but it's a family name for me too so I'm biased. My aunt is a Kathleen but mostly called Kit, which imo is quite cool and androgynous-sounding. My great aunt is Kitty and my cousin is Katie.
I've a friend Kathy also, which is lovely.
It's a good classic name with a lot of good nn potential grin

CrystalMcPistol Mon 25-May-15 00:18:54

I don't dislike Kathleen, it has an olde worlde Irish charm. By 'olde worlde' obviously I mean 1936 grin

But her granny and aunt also being called Kathleen is overkill.

1944girl Mon 25-May-15 00:23:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now