please help me to love one of these names

(50 Posts)
ch1134 Sun 10-May-15 07:16:52

I'm struggling with boys names.
Please don't tell me which ones you dislike and why. .. as I already dislike so many.
These are the ones I do like... which one could I grow to love?

Joel
Ray
William
Daniel
Edwin

Happy to get suggestions of others.
Thank you.

Catsahoy Sun 10-May-15 07:27:39

You will love the name you choose because it becomes so much a part of the little baby boy that is growing and amazing you.

It took us ages to pick a name for ds but now I absolutely love it and can't imagine any other name would suit him.

Catsahoy Sun 10-May-15 07:29:07

Btw my current favourites are Lachlan, Quentin and Austin. Must be the ending! Good luck.

LorryHen Sun 10-May-15 07:38:46

I've picked Joel for my ds.

My partner suggested it and the more I thought about it I do really like the name.

It isn't that common, it's not in the top 100 names anymore, but it isn't too unusual.

Maybe it would be best to wait and see which one suits him most. It might make you love a name if it suits him lots.

Icedfinger Sun 10-May-15 07:51:38

I like Daniel, it's classic and modern. He can be Dan or Danny as he grows older.

bakingtins Sun 10-May-15 08:07:47

I like Joel, William and Daniel. Joel is a bit more unusual without being out there.
You will love the name whichever you pick, because it belongs to your son. I've had to compromise on my children's names because DH and I have very different taste, I love them all now and can't imagine how they could be called anything else.

Shybairns Sun 10-May-15 08:13:59

I also like Joel, William an Daniel. Imagine your child at every age and see if you feel like the name fits? Can you see the spotty self conscious lad carrying off a more obscure name? Or the business man introducing himself at a meeting?

ButterflyOfFreedom Sun 10-May-15 08:15:01

Joel & Daniel are both fab!
They would have been on our shortlist if they weren't ready in the family.

I also love Nathan, Leon and Joseph.

Floggingmolly Sun 10-May-15 08:18:28

I love Joel.

pilates Sun 10-May-15 08:20:06

William and Edwin.

I like the nn Will and Ed.

VenusVanDamme Sun 10-May-15 09:34:36

I love Daniel and, although not I name I would have thought of, I think Joel from your list is lovely too.

ch1134 Sun 10-May-15 09:36:46

Thank you all. This is helping. Starting to sway towards a little baby Dan.

Belazu84 Sun 10-May-15 10:48:28

I think Daniel is a great choice! Weirdly, you don't meet many little Daniels either.

ZenNudist Sun 10-May-15 10:53:34

I love William and Daniel. Strong nn Will and Dan. I would call a ds3 William if I had one.

Momagain1 Sun 10-May-15 10:55:16

Narrowing it down that far is really enough for now. When he gets here, see what fits.

janeelliott Sun 10-May-15 10:56:20

I like Daniel! But there's no rush to pick now, wait until you meet him. When my baby was born his name became obvious as soon as we saw him.
Here are some names I like:
Victor
Louis
Gabriel
Zachary
Felix
James
Leo

MythicalChicken Sun 10-May-15 11:00:41

I like Ray. It's very cool.

ch1134 Sun 10-May-15 11:02:27

Thanks, some good advice. My only issue with Dan is that my favourite girl's name is Anna. So having a Dan rules out a future Anna!

MrsSheRa Sun 10-May-15 11:04:01

I like Joel and Daniel.

I think the name Elliott is beautiful.

Momagain1 Sun 10-May-15 11:04:04

My youngest brother is Daniel. nn Dan as a child, my father was firmly against Danny for some reason and corrected anyone who tried it.

My oldest children are only 5 and 7 years younger than him, and called him
DanDan for some forgotten reason. Once he was A Legal Adult, but they were still childish teens, they would use it to destroy his pompousity when he tried to be all wise elder on them.

Momagain1 Sun 10-May-15 11:05:24

You can use Daniel if you avoid Dan. Takes firmness for the first 6 months with all the grandparents and aunts and uncles.

But I see your point.

AuntieStella Sun 10-May-15 11:08:19

Joel - lovely name
Ray - old man in the wrong sort of way
William - good, traditional name
Daniel - lovely
Edwin - OK, but if you want an Ed name that's not Edward, how about Edmund?

HarryLimeFoxtrot Sun 10-May-15 11:11:26

I really like Edwin.

tictactoad Sun 10-May-15 11:18:09

William. I'd have had it for ds1 had BIL not got there first hmm

It is a middle name for son 2 smile

IvoryMadonna Sun 10-May-15 12:08:22

Ray all the way! Raymond is a Norman French name and makes me think of medieval kings and counts and the Crusades, I love it. And it's very pan-European, with variations like Ramon, Redmond, Raimundo etc.

Then there are lots of cool Rays from music and film: Ray Charles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ray Liotta, Ray Winstone. Oh and there's Ray Bradbury, Sugar Ray Robinson ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now