Talk

Advanced search

Surprise baby no4 - need some Irish baby boy name help!

(37 Posts)
sunny75 Fri 08-May-15 10:55:34

Hi Ladies, I'm half way through a surprise pregnancy with DS3 (baby no.4) - and thought finding some names may help me get more used of the idea.

I'm Irish decent, so our first 3 children have the following names; Lorcan, Dervla, and Quinn. We've always gone for names that can be sounded out phonetically as we live in the UK, and wanted this name to fit in with our other children.

My ideas so far for new baby boy are:

Daithi (Gaelic - but has anyone heard of using Dahy as an alternative spelling?)
Torin (is this too similar to Lorcan and Quinn?)
Senan (again too similar?)

Any comments or suggestions very welcome.

Big thanks x

Maryz Fri 08-May-15 11:09:40

Don't spell it Dahy - if you are going to go Irish please get the spelling right, and it needs a fada as well. Though I see your older children don't have Irish spellings either.

I don't think Torin is Irish, is it?

If you want easy to spell, try Declan, Ronan, Cian (all an like Lorcan, though). What about Ferdia, or Setanta to be different (I love the name Setanta, I wish I'd had the courage to use it).

TheAuthoress Fri 08-May-15 11:11:11

What about Ciaran, Ruari (Rory) or Cillian?

Belazu84 Fri 08-May-15 11:26:10

Cormac - love this name

Flywheel Fri 08-May-15 11:30:13

Senan is great. Also Conal or Cillian.

IvoryMadonna Fri 08-May-15 11:33:09

Lots here

I don't think the names you mention are similar at all, apart from ending with the same letter.

3luckystars Fri 08-May-15 12:33:31

I like Senan.

Ferghal might be nice too. I really like the name Cathal and think it would be smashing with the other names.

DramaAlpaca Fri 08-May-15 12:38:09

I love Senan & it's fine with your other names.

Rory, Ronan, Cormac & Cian are all good suggestions.

wigglesrock Fri 08-May-15 12:40:55

Dara
Donal
Conal

One of my dds goes to school with a Senan it's lovely. Please don't use Dahy - it just looks silly and is makes a bit of a mockery of wanting to use Irish names but with your own unique spelling.

ragged Fri 08-May-15 12:52:22

Cormac, Macaulay.
Dahy would work for me for reasons you give, but purists will be sniffy about it.

IvoryMadonna Fri 08-May-15 12:59:57

I wouldn't know how to pronounce Dahy. Da-hee? Dah-hee? Day-hee? Day? I've never seen the name before, and doubt I'm alone there.

ragged Fri 08-May-15 13:08:55

Maybe OP should use a more phonetic spelling, go full on since the purists will hate any deviation can never make them happy, anyway.

3luckystars Fri 08-May-15 13:11:17

I think you are right about that Ivory Madonna. Daithi is pronounced DawHee.

There is a y in the Irish alphabet so it wouldn't be right to spell it any other way.

3luckystars Fri 08-May-15 13:14:26

Sorry, that should have read "there is no Y in the Irish Alphabet" I am not sure really what a purist is, but I don't think I am one. I am just Irish and offering my opinion. I am definitely not sniffy! smile

Anyway I hope the OP gets a great name after this thread because the others are lovely. Good luck.

Floggingmolly Fri 08-May-15 13:18:18

Don't spell it Dahy, it looks ridiculous.

Newquay Fri 08-May-15 13:23:22

Sean (Shaun)?

Devora Fri 08-May-15 13:30:15

Oisin?

ImperialBlether Fri 08-May-15 13:31:13

TheAuthoress, you mention Ciaran and Ruari... Are you friends with someone in North Wales?

Hadron21 Fri 08-May-15 13:32:53

I love Cormac.

Rubymay Fri 08-May-15 13:50:46

Ciaran, Conor, Liam, fiacra, Eoghan, Liam
Cahill, Dairy, Daragh, Patrick, Padraig,
Cian, Killian, Darcy, Peadar, Tadhg,
Dermot, Seamus.

squoosh Fri 08-May-15 14:15:27

Dahy would not work. English people would pronounce it as day-hee, Irish people would have no clue it was even supposed to be an Anglo version of Daithí. I certainly wouldn't have made the connection.

I've never heard of Torin.

Call him Cormac, that's a good solid name.

Cillian
Ferdia
Ardal
Rory
Finbarr
Donal
Fergus

5446 Fri 08-May-15 14:26:37

Love Cormac and Cillian.

Conan
Finnian
Cathal
Eoin

bouncingbelle Fri 08-May-15 14:51:40

Dominick?

sunny75 Fri 08-May-15 16:33:49

Thank-you so much, I did have the feeling the Daithi spelt any other way wouldn't work. I love the name but we've purposely made sure all our other children's names work phonetically.

Senan is lovely, although when I mentioned it to someone they thought of 'semen' -which worried me that this would be a school playground taunt! I'm still really liking it though, and not thinking of that at all. Could that just be one person with a naughtier mind than me?

Cormac is very nice also.

There are some really lovely suggestions - which I really appreciate x

jugglingmonkey Fri 08-May-15 19:28:03

How about Daire (Dara), or Tadhg (Tai-g)? I know a Tadhg in real life, think it's a great name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now