Talk

Advanced search

Bummer Kate & Wills nicked my top name!

(23 Posts)
IWantDogger Mon 04-May-15 21:06:50

So Dd due in 6 wks, Charlotte/Lottie has always been a favourite and I was working on DH. Now they've picked it I'm a bit put off - am I right in thjnking George had a spike in popularity after they had theirs?

urterriblemuriel Mon 04-May-15 21:27:33

I wouldn't be put off - it's a classical beautiful name and will probably remain in the top 20 lists for years to come. There might be a short spike in popularity but if you love the name go for it. If ever anyone comments, just say you had your heart set on it for ages before the birth...which is the truth!

I also doubt that the princess will ever be known publically as Lottie

FannyPlant Mon 04-May-15 21:28:39

THE BASTARDS!!! grin I was hoping they'd pick Leia. What a wasted opportunity.

Hulababy Mon 04-May-15 21:31:38

It was already number 21 in the top 100 baby girl names (last one to be published) so I don't think a spike in popularity will be that big a deal tbh.

Penguinotterfoxbadger Mon 04-May-15 21:33:14

I don't think it will spike particularly but I would be put off by the association.

FlumptyDumpty Mon 04-May-15 21:36:47

So gutted too - been planning to call mine Charlotte Elizabeth for months. Now worried there'll be a million Charlottes her age and people will think I'm dumb enough to copy the Royals. angry

The bastards!

ProfessorPickles Mon 04-May-15 21:36:52

I'm sure I read earlier that there was a drop in popularity for the name George after the birth of Prince George!

Lunastarfish Mon 04-May-15 22:20:14

I wouldn't worry, Charlotte like George has been popular for ages so I don't there will be any significant increase in the amount of babies called it. It wouldn't even occur to me if a friend named her child Charlotte.

LittleIda Mon 04-May-15 22:26:53

When you say you are working on your dh, does that mean he's not keen on it? If so I'd look for something else

Allthatnonsense Mon 04-May-15 23:18:22

Charlotte and George are too popular to be automatically associated with the royals. Stick to Charlotte, just don't decorate her room in Union Jack bunting.

Guin1 Tue 05-May-15 04:30:29

The England/Wales name rankings for George were:
2009: 11th
2010: 9th
2011: 12th
2012: 12th
2013: 10th

So you can't really say that the choice of George by W&K (mid 2013) has changed anything yet.

The England/Wales name rankings for Charlotte have been:
2009: 14th
2010: 20th
2011: 21st
2012: 20th
2013: 21st

So there's not really much room for a spike anyway.
And it has been top 5 in Australia and NZ since 2009. And 11th in US (2013).

AngryBeaver Tue 05-May-15 04:36:04

My SIL has a little boy called George and a baby called Charlotte!! She's a bit miffed wink

stopitcaroline Tue 05-May-15 05:00:43

Caroline is a nice alternative to Charlotte :D I'm not biased at all!

sweetpeame Tue 05-May-15 08:05:22

I wouldn't worry about it at all. As previous posters have pointed out Charlotte is already popular! I doubt it's going to jump up from 21st to 1st most popular just because of Kate and Wills. Even if it becomes slightly more popular there probably isn't much difference in reality of picking a name that's top 20 versus one that's top 10 (or even top 5). It's one of those names where you can't really guess the age of the person who has it ie. Charlotte could be 90, 30 or 3!

IWantDogger Tue 05-May-15 09:23:00

Ok thanks for your views, maybe it doesn't need to be struck off just yet. To the poster that asked about DH - yes he wasn't initially that keen but coming round, the problem is this time round (dd3) there are literally no names we both love! If it were just me picking I might go for something a bit more unusual but I really thought/think he will like Charlitte as its classic and is along the same lines as our other two daughters.

Starlight9 Tue 05-May-15 11:18:27

I wanted to call my daughter Catherine but was put off as it is Kate Middleton's name! Not that I am against the royals, just didn't want to be seen as copying. Charlotte is a gorgeous name, it was one of my 'girls' names this time (but I am having a boy) I love George but am put off for the same reason x

hawkmcqueen Tue 05-May-15 18:05:32

I have a 15 month old Charlotte so time will tell if an ongoing association is made (oh Charlotte like the Princess! Type of statement). It obviously has been today! I got there first though!

islandinthestream Thu 07-May-15 09:47:33

I think it would be a shame if you missed out on the name you wanted because you were worried people might think you were copying Will and Kate. It's such a classic anyway. I don't believe there was a spike after George, quite the opposite as people abandoned their name choice for fear of seeming unoriginal. Stick to your guns!!

IvoryMadonna Thu 07-May-15 11:46:01

It really doesn't matter as Charlotte is already a popular name. It would be a different matter if it was something unusual, like when Princess Anne chose Zara for her daughter.

Kaekae Sun 10-May-15 11:16:20

Go for it, I know loads of Charlotte's/Lottie's. As others have said it would be different if it was a very unusual name.

GobblersKnob Sun 10-May-15 11:25:44

I also know two people with a George and a Charlotte they are very popular names, and I know loads of Georges and Charlottes generally of all ages.

My ndn had a ds the week before Prince George was born and had called him George smile

CruCru Sun 10-May-15 23:02:54

I know loads of Charlottes. Wouldn't let it put you off.

waceystills Mon 11-May-15 10:37:30

I very nearly abandoned George after they used it but I changed my mind at the last minute as I was still letting their choice influence my own by not having it, IYSWIM?

I felt the need to point out he was named after his Great-Grandad at first and not the royal baby but, like others have pointed out it never rose in popularity, and I have stopped defending the choice now anyway.

(Doesn't help that my DS's middle name is also Alexander, same as his Grandad & the royal baby!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now