Talk

Advanced search

Phi'Bee

(93 Posts)
SleepyWasp Sat 02-May-15 11:53:34

Someone who I know vaguely, and who I have as a friend on FB has just announced the birth of their daughter. Lovely squishy little girl.

They have called her Phi'Bee, and I must admit my face kind of went confused shock hmm when I saw her name.

It's made me genuinely intrigued though. Has anyone else given their child such an unconventional spelling of a name? If so, what were your motivations? What does your child think about it?

My name is one that was pretty popular amongst my generation, but that has a number of accepted variations in spelling. As a child/teen, I used to hate people using the wrong spelling, but also got annoyed with having to spell it out to make sure people used the right one.

I'm much less bothered as an adult, but I still can't imagine going through life as a Phi'Bee (or similar) - having to spell it out constantly, and then see people's faces go hmm or hear them say 'oh, that's...interesting.'

BigFatPanda Sat 02-May-15 11:54:56

That's not unconventional that's stupid! confusedhmm

SleepyWasp Sat 02-May-15 11:55:31

Oh, and sadly I'm not friends with Will and Kate.

This is not the new princess grin

BlueBananas Sat 02-May-15 11:55:59

You're joking?! How ridiculous!
DS is Cameron and DP genuinely wanted to spell it Cam'ron hmm I informed him that I hadn't give birth to a rapper and that 'e' would be sufficient thankyou

Creatureofthenight Sat 02-May-15 11:56:15

What Panda said.

SleepyWasp Sat 02-May-15 12:03:06

Nope, not joking unfortunately.

Not unless the mum and dad have got a wicked sense of humour, and are introducing her as Phi'Bee for a giggle.

Maybe we'll get another FB update soon saying 'don't worry, we're not totally stupid, she's called Phoebe. Can't believe all you asshats who call ourselves our friends said nothing though grin'

[crosses fingers in hope]

[never gonna happen]

DextersMistress Sat 02-May-15 12:04:25

grin at its not the new princess.

That is truly awful though, poor kid.

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Sat 02-May-15 12:05:05

Maybe it's pronounced F-aye-bee? grin

Buttercup27 Sat 02-May-15 12:05:07

Imagine trying to full in online paperwork etc when she's older, that's going to be a nightmare!

DrWhooves Sat 02-May-15 12:05:59

I know someone who recently called their newborn son Blu. As in Blu Tack hmm.

namechange0dq8 Sat 02-May-15 12:07:59

Having punctuation in your name is always good fun when using websites.

SleepyWasp Sat 02-May-15 12:17:12

BluBananas, I flipping love Cam'ron! I imagine him wearing a massive t-shirt, flatpeak cap, and an obscene number of chunky fake gold chains around his neck.
Shame that common sense prevailed really grin

florascotia Sat 02-May-15 12:23:58

Agree about punctuation in names causing problems with computers. Could really be a nightmare, especially as there is a standard spelling of the name already in existence.

I know this spectacularly missing the point - and in some ways it's lovely that parents are so delighted by a new baby that they want to give him/her a special name - but the apostrophe doesn't make sense. In English spelling it is used to indicate that letters have been left out, which (in Phi'Bee) they haven't been. Nor does the capital B; capitals indicate the start of a new word, which (in this case) 'Bee' isn't. Also, using standard English pronounciation, 'Phi' followed by a consonant would be pronounced as in 'Phillip', not as 'Fee'. So Phi'Bee = 'Fibby' = uncomfortably close to 'liar'.

SoldierBear Sat 02-May-15 12:33:32

Agree with Flora's explanation of the pronunciation, BUT it looks like it should be said "Fi-Bee". Which might even be worse.

BikeRunSki Sat 02-May-15 12:37:55

What a missed opportunity for using Greek symbols!
<phi symbol >'B

SleepyWasp Sat 02-May-15 12:38:16

Yes, I agree with comments over pronunciation.

It took me a few seconds to work out that they meant Phoebe.

I've come across a Pheobe before, and the presumably accidental misspelling was bad enough. Can't get my head round why you'd do it on purpose.

BigFatPanda Sat 02-May-15 12:49:59

Hang on. I vaguely remember a thread like this before about two years ago! OP I think your friends name is actually not unique!

BigFatPanda Sat 02-May-15 12:50:53

Or maybe it was Feebee? Either way, they're both terrible spellings of a lovely name! grin

WavyGlass Sat 02-May-15 12:59:38

I always look at names involving apostrophes and think of them being produced with a sort of throat-clearing/hiccup/glottal stop where the apostrophe is, to indicate something left out.

With luck they're joking.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sat 02-May-15 13:18:56

I'm still waiting (I think) for the first L8on but I'm sure it wont be long...

Behooven Sat 02-May-15 13:22:19

Oh dear, poor child

Bobian123 Sat 02-May-15 13:26:52

A friend of a friend taught a girl in primary school with the name La-a. She asked the mum how it was pronounced.

Ladasha.

OneMagnumisneverenough Sat 02-May-15 13:46:32

Ooh La-a's mother is definitely a candidate for a son L8on then grin

LocalEditorEssex Sat 02-May-15 13:49:54

I give you a new one I have been introduced to recently.....

Chenaid

Instead of Sinead obviously.

BlueBananas Sat 02-May-15 13:51:30

Le-a is a well known urban myth, wondered how long before someone's friend of a friend told the take on here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now