Talk

Advanced search

Cai

(33 Posts)
casey101 Tue 28-Apr-15 17:19:57

Hi guys what do you think of the name Cai- pronounced Kye. I wanted to spell it with the C as it's the Welsh spelling and he'll be born in Wales, then moving to England. It means happy/ rejoice in welsh...

temporarilyjerry Tue 28-Apr-15 18:05:00

Bizarrely I like it spelled Cai, but not Kai chav.

Madbengalmum Tue 28-Apr-15 18:06:16

Sorry, i dont like it

Snowflake15 Tue 28-Apr-15 18:08:10

I like we're choosing Malachi nickname Cai

florascotia Tue 28-Apr-15 18:10:13

Can Welsh Mumsnetters help here with the meaning of the name? Most experts say it comes either from the Welsh 'cad' = battle or (via old stories of King Arthur - Sir Kay was his foster-brother) from the Roman name Caius. But is there another more recent Welsh meaning, perhaps .....?

BuriedSardine Tue 28-Apr-15 18:10:56

Whai?

I think it's awful sorry.

Montsti Tue 28-Apr-15 18:16:12

I'm not a big fan of the name and I know lots of Kais. I do like Malachi though ��.

sweetpeame Tue 28-Apr-15 19:26:45

Never met a Cai/Kai in person but it's popular in Germany (spelt Kai). DH (German) suggested it for DS but I wasn't keen. Don't mind it as a name, just not my taste.

Ztastic Tue 28-Apr-15 19:39:00

Personally I think it's a bit chavvy, trying too hard to be cool, a bit like Reiss too. That might be a regional bias on my part. At the end of the day if you love it that's the main thing which is why I'm not telling anyone the names I have lined up for dc3. Once baby is here and you name them people accept that they become that name. Everyone's taste is so different.

burgatroyd Tue 28-Apr-15 19:39:05

It sounds like the noise a castrated crow would make.

Cai... Cai... Cai...

AlmaMartyr Tue 28-Apr-15 19:43:20

I've not seen that spelling before but quite like it smile

The name Kai always reminds me of The Snow Queen (Hans Christian Anderson) which is a nice association, loved that book when I was little. The name has a nice meaning too!

florascotia Tue 28-Apr-15 20:12:45

Confusingly, 'Kai' in Danish and other Nordic/Germanic languages seems to have several possible origins/meanings: www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Kai_m

mojo17 Tue 28-Apr-15 20:23:26

It is indeed a beautifully regal Welsh name
Originally spelled with the C
using a K means it could be from the continent so people would think you had Danish or German origins
The Kye spelling to looks so odd and just reminds me of ky jelly sorry to offend

casey101 Tue 28-Apr-15 21:31:31

Thanks everyone so far for your comments.. smile

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Apr-15 11:30:24

I like it with that spelling.

Elllimam Wed 29-Apr-15 11:44:13

I like Caius smile nick name Cai?

casey101 Wed 29-Apr-15 12:18:10

Thank you- it's funny because I thought right the next comment I will go by that one, positive or negative and they were both positive. thanks all smile Think if I loved a name I wouldnt care but because there is not one I love I am going for one I like but not sure of but do like x

sherbetpips Wed 29-Apr-15 12:23:25

its my neighbours dogs name, its a staffy cross.

PattyPenguin Wed 29-Apr-15 17:03:50

Cai is Welsh, from the Latin Caius. It's not an unusual name in Wales at all - witness Cai Williams from Blaenafon on The Voice.

It's the name of one of Arthur's knights in the (rather fab) medieval Welsh tale "Culhwch ac Olwen".

In English it's traditionally Kay - you know, "Sir Kay", Arthur's foster brother, son of Sir Ector.

Can't imagine anyone calling their son Kay, mind.

anxiousannie10 Wed 29-Apr-15 17:24:35

It makes me think of, cry, every time I hear it.

casey101 Wed 29-Apr-15 17:29:10

anxiousannie10 and sherbertpips haha that made me smile! there are lots of names make me think of weird things but prob wont say as dont want to offend! and PattyPenguin thank you for that v interesting

Takver Wed 29-Apr-15 17:32:09

I love Cai. We're in Wales and it's definitely a 'normal' name without being overly frequent (unlike Rhys!). Simple and classic to my mind. And spellable if you're going to move to England grin

OhtoblazeswithElvira Wed 29-Apr-15 17:36:10

I love it and we considered it for DS (DP vetoed it as "too short" hmm ). We live in a fairly Welsh-speaking area and Cai is relatively fashionable.

Cai is one if my favourite characters on the Mabinogion. With the c spelling, pronounced kye and the Welsh / Latin connection I see it not as chavvy but as a regal, legendary, mythical name for a sexy knight

Hth

MyBootsAreMuddy Wed 29-Apr-15 17:36:31

When I hear the name Kai/Cai it makes me go confusedgrinas in my native language kai = food so it just sounds weird to my ear.

casey101 Wed 29-Apr-15 19:18:48

Thank you Takver we are hoping to move back to Wales someday so that is even better and Ohto...that has absolutely made my day thank you so much! Yey! smile smile and MyBoots haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now