Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Will people think of Buffy?!

(54 Posts)
VikingLady Sun 15-Feb-15 11:03:46

We're at 34w pg now, and the need for a girl's name is getting desperate! We're both picky but liking different names, but I thought we had finally decided on Cordelia.

But I told a friend who immediately thought Buffy. DH then said that was what someone in his office said as well. Will everyone think that? Is it still popular? I just thought Shakespeare, but I freely admit I'm pretty put of touch!

Help! I don't want to have to find another name!

VixxFace Sun 15-Feb-15 11:24:24

What is the link between Cordelia and buffy?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 15-Feb-15 11:26:01

I like it but yes I would think.of buffy grin

I'd still use it though. just don't let her become a shallow whiny bitch like her namesake

BalancingStick Sun 15-Feb-15 11:26:34

I thought King Lear - not aware of any Buffy link!

thatstoast Sun 15-Feb-15 11:30:31

Yes, I would think of Buffy but also Shakespeare. Cordelia is a favourite girls name of mine. I had a boy and gave him a name of a character in buffy.

VikingLady Sun 15-Feb-15 11:31:52

2/3 wouldn't so far....

She's a particularly shallow, whiny, self absorbed cheerleader bully in Buffy. Although she gets a bit better in Angel smile

Leeds2 Sun 15-Feb-15 11:32:33

I wouldn't know the connection to Buffy.

There is a Cordelia at DD's school known as Cords. Sometimes Cordy.

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Sun 15-Feb-15 11:34:44

Yeah, I'd probably think buffy but it doesn't matter. Pretty much any name will have either a famous person, or a character or someone from history that will have that name and people will have that little brain flash when you hear something that you can relate to something else you know - iyswim.

Your only other option is to make one up grin

Koalafications Sun 15-Feb-15 11:34:58

She's so much better in Angel, not just a bit...

I would think of Buffy and King Lear.

It's a beautiful name. Go with it.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 15-Feb-15 11:36:13

I was a Buffy fan, but i wouldn't immediately think of it when meeting a baby Cordelia. Maybe a teenage one because her parents may well have been taken with the name when watching the show.

It is a lovely name.

museumum Sun 15-Feb-15 11:36:38

People over 30 might think of buffy but very few younger and none of your daughters peer group.
Cordelia was quite cool in angel anyway.

VixxFace Sun 15-Feb-15 11:37:00

Is Buffy still showing then? It was popular when I was in school.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 15-Feb-15 11:38:45

Wouldn't spot the connection at all. Lovely name.

iklboo Sun 15-Feb-15 11:38:53

If you hadn't put Buffy in the title I wouldn't have made the connection immediately. I would have thought Shakespeare first.

Koalafications Sun 15-Feb-15 11:40:36

VixxFace it's on Netflix smile Angel isn't, though sad

PastPerfect Sun 15-Feb-15 11:40:50

It's my DDs middle name - I had no idea that there was a Buffy link

RitaOrange Sun 15-Feb-15 11:42:43

Haha I read that were going to call your DD Buffy grin
Buffy is a dogs name

craazyperson Sun 15-Feb-15 11:46:19

I thought planet of the apes then realised that was cornelia. I wouldn't have known the buffy connection if I hadn't read this thread i also think it's a lovely name, if I was you I wouldn't let it put me off.

Nospringflower Sun 15-Feb-15 11:51:52

Never heard of Buffy so no, wouldn't make me think of anything.

HorraceTheOtter Sun 15-Feb-15 11:54:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 15-Feb-15 11:56:24

The only Cordelia I can think of is Cordelia Fine

Primaryteach87 Sun 15-Feb-15 11:58:14

FWIW I do think of Buffy, but I think of her in Angel - where is really quite awesome, clever, caring, capable force of nature. So only positive connotations.

McKayz Sun 15-Feb-15 11:58:23

I would think Buffy straight away. But it is a lovely name.

Nervo Sun 15-Feb-15 11:58:43

I watched Buffy.

However, my first thought was 'lovely' as Buffy was too many years ago for me to remember names. Only Cordelia I am aware of is Cordelia Fine (author).

IsadoraQuagmire Sun 15-Feb-15 11:59:11

Buffy is on cable every day and it's a cult TV show, so not being around when it was originally shown is irrelevant. I'm 18 and it's one of my favorite shows.
Anyway, I'd think of King Lear first, and probably the next thing I'd think of is Anne of Green Gables (she always wanted to be called Cordelia instead of Anne, and her best friend Diana named her first daughter Anne Cordelia)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: