Advanced search

Seasonal Names out of Season?

(24 Posts)
RhiannonElward Fri 13-Feb-15 21:34:30

I need some thoughts on this, I have a name that I want my baby to have Eira Elizabeth, but Eira means snow and the baby is due in October. Has anyone else given their DC a weather inappropriate name? Is it weird enough that I have to think of something else?

abigail12 Fri 13-Feb-15 21:44:18

How do you pronounce it? Is it Irish?

RhiannonElward Fri 13-Feb-15 21:50:19

It's Welsh, and actually the pronunciation varies from East to West. In the East it is said Ayra (with the ay rhyming with hay) and the west it is pronounced eye-ra. I'm from West Wales, but now live near Cardiff and I think I prefer the Eastern way of saying it.

RabbitSaysWoof Fri 13-Feb-15 22:01:19

I don't think it matters at all. I thought someone will want to call there feb baby Summer when I clicked in.
Its a pretty name it wouldn't put me off.

D0nnaO Sat 14-Feb-15 08:24:39

my goddaughter is Summer & she was born in October. I really don't think it matters, you've chosen a lovely name smile

RhiannonElward Sat 14-Feb-15 10:37:37

Thanks for your thoughts, I was hoping you were going to say that smile. Now to persuade dp, at least I have 35 weeks to do that...

Benchmark Sat 14-Feb-15 14:22:10

What a lovely name! Go for it!

Jackieharris Sat 14-Feb-15 14:25:24

I doubt if all the Aprils Mays and June's were born in those months.

I wouldn't let it sway you.

GoodtoBetter Sat 14-Feb-15 14:29:28

ooooh, OP, I know a Welsh Eirian! it's a name I've never come across except this one person. does it also mean snow?
eira is lovely btw.
The Eirian I know pronounces it EYE-ree-ann

RhiannonElward Sat 14-Feb-15 14:49:28

Good we nearly named our first son Eirian, it means bright (as in sparkling, not clever). I think the root is the same for Eira and Eirian though smile

GoodtoBetter Sat 14-Feb-15 15:17:16

The Eirian I know is female, is it a unisex name?

RhiannonElward Sat 14-Feb-15 15:29:37

Yes, it's unisex, I think it's more common in females though smile

TempsPerdu Sat 14-Feb-15 15:32:10

Pretty name! No, I don't think a name meaning snow is a problem at all in October. Personally wouldn't use e.g. April in October, or Summer in December, but Eira is more abstract and less obviously linked to a month/season. I say go for it!

Notmymonkeys Sat 14-Feb-15 16:46:09

I wanted to call dc1 April but dp wouldn't let me because the baby was due in April. Turns out I bake 37-weekers so was actually born in March. I would have fought my corner but he was a boy smile

Eira is a lovely name. Do it!

fishfingerSarnies Sat 14-Feb-15 21:03:21

It could easily snow in Octobe, beautiful name.

fishfingerSarnies Sat 14-Feb-15 21:05:35

I would have liked it for dd but our surname means white... Snow White, nope not good.

Blahia Sun 15-Feb-15 08:34:59

I think it's completely fine smile beaufyiful name, I've never heard it before x

StrawberryCheese Sun 15-Feb-15 11:42:16

I think it's a lovely name and don't think it is odd to use it for an October born. I may even put it on my name list for our late September baby smile

RhiannonElward Sun 15-Feb-15 13:34:22

Well I'm very glad it's gone down so well, and it's helping to persuade dp so thank you all smile

fattymcfatfat Sun 15-Feb-15 13:37:21

gorgeous name and for what its worth my ds was born in October and it snowed the day he was born

skylark2 Sun 15-Feb-15 14:17:08

I think it's okay when it's an association - DD has a Christmas associated name and was born in the summer. Surely not every single Holly, Ivy, Noel, Natalie etc. can have a Christmas birthday?

I wouldn't use a direct name at the "wrong" time (for instance calling a child Summer when they're born in winter).

Luciferbox Sun 15-Feb-15 17:53:06

I like this name for DC2 but I'm due in July so sadly I've ruled it out. I think October would be fine.

Qwebec Sun 15-Feb-15 19:03:01

I dont think it is a problem not even a Winter born in the summer, you ca just say she/he was conceived or most of the pregnancy was in said season.
But if you have a problem with the meaning snow and need something more concrete, there are mountains with everlasting snow. So a snow related name is good all year!

rockinrobintweet Sun 15-Feb-15 23:05:01

such a beautiful name. I love the name Winter for a girl but Dd was born in June and it was a bit too inappropriate!!! I think you should go for it!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now