Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Name Regret......?

(37 Posts)
UsedToBeASize10 Mon 09-Feb-15 23:20:19

Here's the dilemma, in short:

Got one DD. Desperately wanted to use my fave name for her but partner just couldn't get along with it. What we ended up doing was picking something we both thought was ok for her first name, family name in the middle and THEN my choice as the second middle name. At the time, this seemed ok. I was afraid there might never be and more DD's and consoled myself with the idea that, well, at least it had been used somewhere.

Current situation = just given birth to DD2. I think you can guess where I am going with this. The name that DD1 has for her second middle name is still my favourite. I have tried exploring 'sound a likes' and names with a nickname potential that's similar. But in my heart of hearts, I know there will always be a pang of regret if I don't use it. I lay awake last night next to unnamed DD2 and explained how I felt. He simply replied - 'Well, that's one of DD1's names, so it's not feasible to use it for DD2.' So,I have half heartlessly announced my alternative but she is not yet registered so I can still change my I mind.....

What I want to know is:
Do you think I can still use it without taking it off DD1's birth certificate?
Will DD1 wonder why she wasn't 'good enough' to have the name in the first place? I know it would bother me.
Has anyone else had this dilemma and if so, what did you do?

It has gotten to the point now where I am avoiding joining mummies groups etc for fear that I will meet a LO with this name and won't be able to stop myself feeling resentful. Yes, it is that bad.

Advice please ��

reuset Mon 09-Feb-15 23:24:54

Can you tell us the names? That might help

If you do decide to recycle, then I wouldn't bother to remove the name from your first daughter's birth certificate.

minipie Mon 09-Feb-15 23:36:56

I wouldn't be bothered about the fact it's dd1's second middle name. You could give dd2 a second middle name which is dd1's first name so they balance.

However I'd be more worried about the fact you'd be giving dd2 your much loved "dream name" where dd1 only has a name you think is ok. Seems a bit unfair... I know this will seem a bit illogical in some ways but if dd1 only gets an ok name then maybe dd2 should only get an ok name too?

would love to know the names...

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Mon 09-Feb-15 23:40:06

I say go for it. It sounds like you really love the name and I think you'll regret it if you don't use it.

Beyoncescat Mon 09-Feb-15 23:46:41

My first name is my sisters first middle name. Never a problem.

UsedToBeASize10 Tue 10-Feb-15 00:07:31

Names are Esme (my number 1) and Eliza (alternative). A friend of a friend has a little Eliza and I noticed that her nickname was 'Ezzie' which I really liked. It sort of sold it to me. 'For' Eliza, I feel it is ever so slightly less 'of the moment' - more classic maybe - and NOT Twilighty (OH's main concern, aside from the fact that he thought it was just too old ladyish). I just don't know if I love the alternative enough to use it. Being as I HATE the nicknames El/Ellie, I feel I will have to work hard to ensure that Ez/Ezzie is introduced early on and kind of sticks. And honestly, do you hear the word 'lie' very prominently in the name? This is also a concern!

Effic Tue 10-Feb-15 00:18:11

Yes you can hear 'lie' as part of Eliza because that group of letters in Eliza makes that sound - it has never occurred to me till you typed it as lie to link it to that!

I think both Ese and Eliza are lovely and agree with other poster that if you make DD2 Eliza something else Esme surname then it will not cause any upset as it follows the pattern of DD1. And you don't need to tell either DD that one is a favoured name! Just that you liked both Esme & Eliza - so you decided as you were lucky enough to have 2 daughters to use them both!

AbbyCadabby Tue 10-Feb-15 00:21:44

That's usually how it is for the second born child if it's the same sex as the first though, minipie, i.e. He second one gets the second best name as the parents used their favourite on the first child. Certainly if my second turns out to be a boy, he will have our second-choice boy's name as we used our favourite boy's name on our firstborn.

OP, I see no issue with siblings sharing names, especially a second middle name, and especially if the second child's second middle name is the first child's first name - something nice to share.

fizzycolagurlie Tue 10-Feb-15 00:33:29

I think you can use it. There was a thread on here once where a woman had two DS and they were called something like James Caleb and Caleb James. I kid you not. At least with your DDs the first child has another 2nd name, so its not going to sound so obvious.

I love the name Esme too.

Canyouforgiveher Tue 10-Feb-15 00:35:44

if you give dd2 Esme as a first name, then maybe give her Eliza as a second middle name - so you can tell both girls you liked the idea of them having one linked name? or is that too awful twinny sounding? maybe it is.

My dd1 got my absolute fav name and my dd2 got my second absolute fav name. DD2 is fine with it. I am the second daughter and so I presume I got the second fav name - so glad I did as my sister's name is not one to want.

Fuckmath Tue 10-Feb-15 00:40:30

I think you should use Esme as it sounds like you will regret it if not and really want to use it.

If worried about dd1 having part of her name taken off her then I like the suggestion of calling dd2 "Esme, middlename, dd1 first name " to balance it

Levismum Tue 10-Feb-15 00:41:30

My first ds has 3 names.
My seconds ds has ds1 3rd name as his first name...hope that makes sense!

Do not compromise if it's causing you this much worry. My dd has a nice name but i wish I'd given her my dream name...

Blahia Tue 10-Feb-15 01:56:01

Has your partner come around to Esmr then? I think it's fine to use, and yes you could then use your first daughter's first name as your second daughter's second middle name.... But only if you're not acing anyone children, as it would get very complicated if you then had a third daughter as the two first are 'linked' name wise, if you see what I mean!?

If you feel she is an Esme, then convince your hisband, it seems like the end of the world because you're extra emotional having just given bieth, but really I think it's completely fine to use it smile

Congratulations on Baby Esme ;) x

StaircaseAtTheUniversity Tue 10-Feb-15 02:33:21

I think you're overthinking this. If you love it that much and your DH can be persuaded, use it. No one else will think anything of it apart from maybe a passing "oh they must have really liked that name.." I went to school with two girls whose names were something like (changing as not to out me) Rebecca Helena and Helena Louise. All I ever thought was that the hirks parents must have loved the name Helena. No more than that.

StaircaseAtTheUniversity Tue 10-Feb-15 02:33:58

Girls, not Hirks!!!!

Blahia Tue 10-Feb-15 07:40:30

Just reread my message.

'But only if you're not acing anyone children', should be:

But only if you're not having any more children.... In case that made no sense! Lol

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 10-Feb-15 07:45:04

I actually much prefer Eliza smile.

Is your DH happy to use Esme this time round? If so then go for it. Make DD2's second middle name the same as DD1's first name.

pinkpeoniesplease Tue 10-Feb-15 07:59:36

I'd use Esmée I bet nobody knows my kids middle names, who would even question it?? Go with your heart.

minipie Tue 10-Feb-15 08:29:08

That's a fair point Abby. in our case we genuinely had two names we liked equally (the name we are going to give dd2, we very nearly gave to dd1) but I guess that's rare.

Esme is a lovely name and the Twilight thing wouldn't have occurred to me (even though I've read/seen the books and films) I think Twilight fever is over now.

Eliza is a good name too and I don't think of "lie" when I hear it. Elise is a nice option too and could still be Ezzie. But if you love Esme then use it.

Artandco Tue 10-Feb-15 08:33:26

Personally I prefer Eliza

Or consider:

Elsie, Elise, Esmerelda ( with esme as nn),

ClashCityRocker Tue 10-Feb-15 08:42:00

I think you're overthinking it.

Call her what you like. If they do ever question it, just say, I liked it for dd1, dad didn't, so we chose Eliza instead.

By the time dd2 came around, we both liked Esme, so called dd2 that. Or you could just say that when dd1 turned up, she didn't look like an Esme.

I don't think it will be a big issue. I wouldn't put dd1s name as a middle name either, tbh, unless you particularly want to.

ClashCityRocker Tue 10-Feb-15 08:42:35

Ezra?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 10-Feb-15 08:43:45

By the way DH has just vetoed my second favourite girls name for DD2 so I get that it's disappointing when you can't use a name you've got your heart set on. I don't want him to have to put up with a name he's not keen on though so back to the drawing board!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 10-Feb-15 08:44:10

Isn't Ezra a boys name?

Malabrig0 Tue 10-Feb-15 08:50:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: