Advanced search

(11 Posts)
MishMooshAndMogwai Sat 07-Feb-15 23:20:31

As in Senna.

For me and where we live (rural midlands) it would be pronounced Eye-er-TON.

For DP and his family (north west) it'd be EYE'er-t'n.

I prefer his pronunciation but sound weird saying it like that myself, it just doesn't fit with my accent and it won't with our friends, his sister, my family, the school etc who will all pronounce it with the emphasis on the TON.

I'm over thinking this aren't i? We're not even set on the name and don't even know its a boy. It's just that our difference in accents seem to make a big difference to a name in my head.

I think the hormones are taking over

Sophronia Sat 07-Feb-15 23:34:08

I know Senna pronounced it 'eye-er-ton', but I've only ever heard it said like 'air-ton' in the UK, and I know two.

MishMooshAndMogwai Sat 07-Feb-15 23:47:26

Ooo I think I like air-ton better, I'll have to wait til tomorrow to here dp say it!

squoosh Sun 08-Feb-15 00:41:34

'As in Senna'

Ummm, well then you'd all be pronouncing it air-ton wouldn't you?

Stokes Sun 08-Feb-15 11:17:58

Senna pronounced it eye-er-ton. Murray Walker at one point changed to use the correct pronunciation but got abuse from fans for being uppity and "not pronouncing it like us". He changed back and then Senna asked him why he wasn't saying it properly any more!

reuset Sun 08-Feb-15 13:19:41

Never heard of Senna connection.

Tom Ayrton, Jules Verne, I have heard of, however. Pronounced Air-ton. I'm not convinced it makes a great first name, pronunciation issues aside.

SilkStalkings Sun 08-Feb-15 19:03:15

What about Hareton? Like in Wuthering Heights?

MishMooshAndMogwai Sun 08-Feb-15 23:40:47

grin stokes, I'll have to watch the dvd again and see how many different pronounciations I can hear on it.

Squoosh- If what stokes says is true then 'as in Senna' would mean that we'd all be pronouncing it eye-er-ton.

It's not so much a case of naming him after Senna to be honest, although Dp is a fan, more that that's the only occasion Id heard it to use as an example.

I am very wary of the differences our accents make on a name though and interested on different pronunciations and perceptions people have on them.

Not a fan of hareton tbh, I don't think it really looks like a name and wuthering heights isn't an interst of Dp or I.

reuset Mon 09-Feb-15 01:02:16

Air-ton will be the most common, because of the surname, and the place.

fizzycolagurlie Mon 09-Feb-15 03:43:43

Take it from someone with a difficult first name and an impossible married last name. It makes your life a minor misery. go for something people won't stumble over ALWAYS. It doesn't have to be completely simple or over used but it does need to be something people can say

MishMooshAndMogwai Mon 09-Feb-15 07:25:50

Fizzy- I have a very common first name and a fairly unusual surname, neither of which anyone seems to be able to spell so I can see your point there, mines bad enough.

Is it a place too reuset? People might assume a significance there might they.

The more im saying it, the more im putting myself off Ayrton- much to dps disappointment. Ah well, back to the drawing board! Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now