Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Looking to an international name

(14 Posts)
MadameMayberry Mon 02-Feb-15 16:18:34

Hi. I'm white British and my husband is Indian heritage. We'd really like a name that works in different cultures - rather than a traditional English or Indian name. A good example of this Maya for a girl, which is my niece's name. Any ideas? We don't know if we are having a boy or girl yet. I think boys' names are especially tricky. Any ideas? Thanks!

Lunastarfish Mon 02-Feb-15 18:20:52

Dillon/Dylan for a boy
Layla for a girl

NotMrsTumble Mon 02-Feb-15 18:29:23

Rohan for a boy is scots/Irish (gaelic) and also hindi/sanskrit. Jasmine for a girl?

VixxFace Mon 02-Feb-15 19:29:40

jasmine

Vastra Mon 02-Feb-15 19:53:12

Nina/Tara for girls, Kiran/Kieran or Arun/Aaron for boys. I work in a UK office with a large offshore help desk, and we have both onshore and offshore people with those names.

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Feb-15 19:56:51

Would Anna and Adam work ?

Belazu84 Mon 02-Feb-15 20:07:59

Ella
Lila
Anya
Sara
Lara
Una

Harder for boys-

Jay
Luca
Zane
Sascha

meditrina Mon 02-Feb-15 20:09:17

Ash/Ashok/Ashley for a boy?

MadameMayberry Tue 03-Feb-15 18:16:20

Thanks for your suggestions. Lots of food for thought!

SensAbility Tue 03-Feb-15 18:34:35

Nevaeh it's Heaven backwards and my youngest grandaughter's name, but I guess it could be used for boys also.

VixxFace Tue 03-Feb-15 18:49:39

Navaeh is ghetto. Dont do it! grin

Rivercam Tue 03-Feb-15 18:53:51

Maria
Christina
Natasha
Mary
Helena

Lucas
Stephen
Alexander
Joseph
Nicholas

Sonoma Thu 05-Feb-15 18:24:37

I have bumped a similar thread for you. I tell you, this only gets harder the more children you have smile

kindersurprises Thu 05-Feb-15 21:13:54

I think it's really hard. We have the same sort of mix and had similar thoughts to you. We have one DD with the name in your first post. After that, we couldn't think of such an international name that appealed so we chose names that we liked but avoided names that were v traditionally English/ Indian.
A few ideas: Anya, Calla, Cassia, Dahlia, Helena, Marina, Natasha, Sophia.

Boys are really hard. We chose European names. I'm happy to tell you what they are if you want to PM me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: