Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

If you're a young mum and you have a son... What's his name?

(48 Posts)
RL20 Mon 02-Feb-15 16:12:27

I want to hear what young mums have called their sons!
I know I will probably get people asking why only young mums and older mums can obviously pick the same names. I'm just trying to find a way of seeing different boys names through the generations. I'm 22 and expecting a baby boy and struggling so much with boys names.
So far I only like Max, Theo, and my favourite - Freddie.
I don't like really cutesy names but also not a huge fan old names such as Tom, Ben or Jack.
I wish I wasn't so picky but I'm finding boys names a lot harder to choose than when we were thinking of girls names a a while back!

Whatever the name, write it here!

RL20 Mon 02-Feb-15 16:13:03

* as older mums.
Not "and older mums" grin

Heels99 Mon 02-Feb-15 16:14:23

The names you like are lovely. I am an older mum though. Avoid all kaydens/Jayden's they are names people stereotype for younger mums.

afreshstartplease Mon 02-Feb-15 16:14:39

I am 27 but had my first dc at 20 and 21

One of them has one of the names on your list

He has friends with the other two names

RL20 Mon 02-Feb-15 16:30:07

Heels yes I have to agree, I don't fall into that "category" as I'm not a fan of Kaydens or Jaydens and know quite a few. This is probably why I'm finding it so difficult to pick a name as a lot of girls my age have chosen names I don't necessarily like so I'm really having to think outside the box.
Afresh, how strange! What are his other friends names?! Ha ha.

afreshstartplease Mon 02-Feb-15 16:33:08

He has friends named

Finley
Finlay
Luke
Lucas
Harry

He could have been called Connor or Mason himself if i had gotten my own Way

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 02-Feb-15 16:35:11

My dsis wanted Theo for her son but has used it as a middle name. We're both 22 and I like Jayden but would never use it as it's very stereotypical and overused

Hurr1cane Mon 02-Feb-15 16:35:16

I was 19 when I had DS and he has a very normal name. My friend who is 40 has a son the same age as mine with the same name

ImNotWhoYouThinkIam Mon 02-Feb-15 16:36:46

I had ds1 at 19. His name is Dominic.
I had Ds2 at 22 . He's Joshua.

I'm not a fan of Jayden/Kayden etc although lots of my friends who had babies at a similar age used names of that 'type' iyswim.

DinoRAUR Mon 02-Feb-15 16:52:40

I had DS when I was 19 (22 now) and his name is Lucas. Friends have called their boys:

Oscar
Jacob
Christopher
James
Cody

I do know a Tyler, Jayden and a Kayden too but I'm not a fan as they're so popular with people from a bad crowd around here please don't flame me.

TeriyakiStirfry Mon 02-Feb-15 17:01:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Butterflowers Mon 02-Feb-15 17:04:16

I was 22 when I had my ds, his name is Levi. He's 16 now and I still love his name......though he once told me he didn't like having such an unusual name and wished he was called something different.

BlueberryWafer Mon 02-Feb-15 17:07:59

I was 21 when I had ds - his name is Archie. I will be 23 when my next child is born, if this one is a boy he will 99% be called Joshua, however Elijah is also in the running.

LetticeKnollys Mon 02-Feb-15 17:18:56

Zachary

Names I liked but my OH vetoed were Alexander, Edward, Thomas and Luke, so fairly traditional.

I like Theo the best from your list! Freddie is ok, but I'd go with Frederick on his birth certificate so that he doesn't feel out of place when he runs for Prime Minister.

HRMC87 Mon 02-Feb-15 19:44:35

My sister is a young mum, my nephew is Kyson. I really didn't like it at first but now I love it, probably because I love him smile

duzzlightyearsmum Mon 02-Feb-15 19:47:18

I was 20 (23 now) when I had DS he is called Jacob.

We also considered:
Joshua
Andrew
Michael (his middle name)

DancingLola Mon 02-Feb-15 19:49:06

I was 23 when I had DS1 & he is Samuel. Other friends who had their sons around my age or younger have:

Reece
Cameron
Charlie
Brandon
Bradley
Matthew

Shamazeballs Mon 02-Feb-15 19:49:10

I had a DS at 20. He's Jack.
Another one at 24. He's charlie.

I liked Max, Loki (ds1 would've suited this!), Jude, Henry, Archie and Ralph.

Tisiphone Mon 02-Feb-15 19:49:19

A friend has a Max and a Theo. She was 39 and 43 when they were born.

Ems1812 Mon 02-Feb-15 19:52:39

I had my DS at 21 & he is Harry smile

GotToBeInItToWinIt Mon 02-Feb-15 20:32:24

I know a max born to a 43 year old too. I know lots of mums of all different ages and haven't noticed a different 'style' of name dependant on the age of the mum. I know a 20 year old with a William, and a 22 year old with a Henry.

TheyLearnedFromBrian Tue 03-Feb-15 12:34:08

The three names you mention are all lovely - interesting yet not too faddy and made up - traditional but slightly less usual than the top choices, all easy to spell too. Go for one of those! Freddie is ace - would you have Frederick?

CheerfulYank Tue 03-Feb-15 12:37:30

I was 24 when I decided DS would be called Sam (he's Samuel but we rarely use it.) Almost eight years on and it suits him down to the ground. smile

I think your three names are nice. I like Max best but they're all good.

notonyourninny Tue 03-Feb-15 12:41:27

I hasmy first dc at 23, a girl, she would have been Harry.

YokoUhOh Tue 03-Feb-15 12:43:20

I'm an older mum (than you) with a Freddie (full name Alfred). It's a very sweet name, and he can be Alf or Fred when he's an old man ;)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: