Advanced search

Sibling names beginning with the same letter?

(19 Posts)
Brambles34 Sun 01-Feb-15 08:21:45

So what are you views? Would you? I know the issue of 'the post will come address to B. Smith but is it for Bill Or Beatrice?' Etc but that isn't an issue as it would be brother/sister so the miss or Mr sorts that one out.

Bowlersarm Sun 01-Feb-15 08:23:47

Our dc have different initials, but if I loved names with the same initials I would have gone ahead and used them.

HoggleHoggle Sun 01-Feb-15 08:27:00

I will more than likely use the same initial as my ds if I have another ds - there aren't many boys names I like.

Personally I think it's a bit weird to avoid a name you love just because it happens to share the same starting letter as your other child, but there was a thread on here a few months ago on the same thing and it would seem I'm possibly in the minority! Too cutesy, apparently hmm

MadameJosephine Sun 01-Feb-15 08:28:44

Both my parents, my brother and I share the same first initial and it has honestly never been an issue. If it had been then i perhaps wouldnt have then married a man with the same first initial and given both my children, DS and DD, names beginning with the same letter. (it's J if you are wondering)

zippyandbungle Sun 01-Feb-15 08:32:32

My two dds start with the same initial. Not weird at all. Although I do shout some weird variants of their names merged together sometimes.

Nolim Sun 01-Feb-15 08:35:42

Go for it

Giraffeski Sun 01-Feb-15 08:37:43

We have two ''E's but different middle names and different genders. Not really thought about it tbh.

Brambles34 Sun 01-Feb-15 08:38:11

Thanks guys.... grin

MothershipG Sun 01-Feb-15 08:41:42

Not a problem, but as I sometimes mix up kids and dogs names it probably wouldn't work for me! grin

Do they sound quite different apart from the initial letter?

DH has exactly the same name as his dad, first, middle and (obviously!) last, I wouldn't do it myself but he appears to have survived unscathed.

Cliffdiver Sun 01-Feb-15 08:43:26

I think alliteration of names with 2 siblings is ok, but 3+ is a little odd and cutsy.

BikeRunSki Sun 01-Feb-15 08:44:06

My brother and I have the same first initial. As children we had the same surnsne.

DH and I have the same first 2 initais and now the same surname. DD also has the same initials! We did deliberate about giving her the same initials as dH and I (but not DS!) but loved her name, so did it anyway.

Having the same initials as much of my family has ever been a problem for any of us.

The only time I've had an initials related problem was when I worked in an office with someone with the same 3 initials as me, in the same team, and we used to get confused over the minutes of meetings where initials were recorded against actions.

Don't let initials hold you back from using nanes, unless they spell something silly or rude.

Cliffdiver Sun 01-Feb-15 08:44:15

It's not as odd as rhyming names.

I know a Kelly and Shelley hmm.

Tzibeleh Sun 01-Feb-15 08:45:32

I think it's awful. I've known 2 families where the parents' names had the same initial, and they decided to give all their dcs matching names. 5-6 Mr/Mrs/Miss J Smiths at one address.

In one of the families all the dc are now known by their middle names - none of them chose to use their first names as adults.

Guin1 Sun 01-Feb-15 13:50:14

I don't see why it's a problem at all. As far as the 'not knowing who the mail is for' argument - by the time the children are old enough to receive mail, communication by letter will be practically a thing of the past anyway! Everything will be electronic.

The only thing that would be a bit odd would be if sibling names had been chosen specifically to have the same initials, Kardashian-style.

Chocoholic21 Sun 01-Feb-15 13:55:06

I'm one of four siblings and our names all start with the same letter. My older brother and I also have the same middle initial and my younger two siblings have the same middle initial. I think it's a bit weird tbh and so do lots of people when they realise. Three out of the four of us use a completely different name to our "proper" name so for example if my sisters real name was Jessica, she is known as Molly within the family! Hard to explain! I agree with someone who said previously that it is ok with two DCs, but three or more is a bit too much!

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Sun 01-Feb-15 14:02:47

I used to know (very slightly) a family where not only the four children but also both the parents had first names starting with the same initial. The father's surname started with that initial too! I think his children had hyphenated surnames, and fortunately the mother's surname started with a different letter, but as this meant all the children had the initials S O-S, I'm not sure that was much of a help.

In principle, I don't have a problem with it at all, but there is some scope for confusion on school lists and so on.

RL20 Sun 01-Feb-15 14:37:06

I know of a few families that have done this. I don't really have a strong opinion either way but my partner wants our baby boy to have a name beginning with the letter of his other child's name. Personally I don't really want that as I don't want to limit myself down to a letter, it's hard enough choosing a name as it is without letter restrictions! Ha ha.

clary Sun 01-Feb-15 14:41:04

DS2 if he had been a girl would have (maybe) had the same initial as DS1; this would have been annoying as I have a habit of writing on the calendar "B piano lesson" or "D athletics meeting" so if there were two people called D it wouldn't be clear.

Otherwise it's not a problem IMO as long as it isn't extended to a series of children; I know a family where four children and the mum and dad all have names starting with L, which I find a bit odd.

Methe Sun 01-Feb-15 14:42:52

I'm got 2 G's it never really occurred to me that it was weird. I would probably avoid another G though.. Not that it's ever going to happen :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now