Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

At what stage of your pg did you start discussing / finally agree?

(30 Posts)
Guyropes Wed 28-Jan-15 19:17:21

How long a process was it? Did you enjoy the name game? Was it stressful? Did you feel strange discussing it early on?

We have talked about it once it twice, from about 11 weeks, which felt v early to me! But I just wanted to find out what kind of names he likes! Would love to know how others felt about it.

CakeMakesMeHappy Wed 28-Jan-15 19:21:30

We talked about it from very early on but didn't finally decide until dd was born (16 days late!!) we struggled to
agree on a boys name so no idea what she would have been.

Augustwedding Wed 28-Jan-15 19:23:03

Before we got pregnant! We are finding out the sex then will make a short list from there!

ShadowSpiral Wed 28-Jan-15 19:29:03

We started talking about it quite early, had a shortlist by the time DC were born, but we didn't make a final decision until after they were born.

I wouldn't say it was stressful as such but DH's vetoes got a bit frustrating - at one point it felt like he was vetoing every boy's name out there because it was either too uncommon or he'd known someone objectionable with that name.

puddock Wed 28-Jan-15 19:29:16

didn't finally agree at any stage of my pg (unless you count the "fourth trimester")... was a couple of days after birth with DS1 and over a week with DS2! Did start discussing / shortlisting soon after 20 week scan though...

invisiblecrown Wed 28-Jan-15 19:44:55

DH and I discussed names long before ttc!

shutupaboutstarwars Wed 28-Jan-15 20:05:14

DS1- had name picked 7 years before we started TTC. Changed our minds completely as the name felt chavvy by then. Decided on name by 7 weeks but kept saying that it couldn't be that easy to decide. Still love his name. DD I had decided on a name that early as we'll but took a lot longer to convince DH ! DS2 had us arguing for months.....
Still happy with the names that we chose

Zsazsabinks Wed 28-Jan-15 20:10:51

DD1 Not until she was in my arms immediately after labour! We'd talked about it but really we were a bit stumped and we were pretty young so trying to please everyone. It's a lovely name but possibly could have been a bit more adventurous!

DD2 about 3/4 of the way through the pregnancy. It's a name that we'd joked about at first but it actually grew on us until she couldn't be anything else. Really pleased with her name!

DD3: Probably decided last week and it's the same thing, a name that we'd kind of joked about but has grown on us. I don't know if she'll actually end up being called that as she's not here quite yet.

Jackieharris Wed 28-Jan-15 20:23:05

Can't remember start- I'd been making baby name lists since I was in primary school!

I was still dithering at the registry office!

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 28-Jan-15 20:29:03

During labour

Hedgehog1977 Wed 28-Jan-15 20:36:22

Had ideas long before I was pregnant then a shortlist early in the pregnancy. I knew which one I wanted from the beginning and dh agreed with me the week before he was born!

We agreed on a name for a dd about 3 years ago. I liked a name that is also a song, but dh preferred another. On a long drive with about 300 songs on the iPod he said that if the dong was in the next 5 to play then we could have it. As he stopped speaking it started playing!

wigglesrock Wed 28-Jan-15 20:38:26

We had a decision made by about 30 weeks or so, earlier I think with dd1. We had one boys name and one girls name & we didn't move from them. I think we had a shortlist of around 5 up to then, then we just picked our favourite.

NecklessMumster Wed 28-Jan-15 20:45:17

During labour. ..dp started a complicated vote system on a list of names, we all had allocated points for each name including the midwives, it took my mind off the contractionssmile

SophieBarringtonWard Wed 28-Jan-15 20:45:52

DC1 we had a girl name picked fairly early on, certainly by about 30 weeks. Didn't decide on a boy's name, luckily she turned out to be a girl.

DC2 we knew she was a girl but had a list of around 5 names when she was born. A week later we picked a name that wasn't on a list.

DC3 (in utero) we are pretending it isn't happening because we hate choosing names...

DramaAlpaca Wed 28-Jan-15 20:47:59

DS1 - was named the day after he was born. We were convinced we were having a girl and didn't have a boy's name picked out.

DS2 - we chose his name after the 20 week scan when we found out he was a boy. We gave him a name we loved that we had been considering giving to DS1 as a middle name, but eventually decided to keep in reserve in case we had another boy, and I'm glad we did.

DS3 - was named immediately after the 20 week scan as well. First name picked easily, then it took another few weeks to find the right middle name.

We didn't ever argue over names, just seem to have the same taste.

chillychicken Wed 28-Jan-15 20:48:45

Started discussing around 14 weeks. Girls name decided when 17 weeks. Could not agree on a boys name.

We had a boy grin

We chose his name when he was 5 days old and poorly in hospital and announced when he was 7 days as it took two days to be sure.

curiousgeorgie Wed 28-Jan-15 20:49:22

DD1 we picked her name before we even TTC. During the pregnancy I heard another name I really liked and stored it away for the future...

Then named DD2 that three years later grin

itssangriaoclock Wed 28-Jan-15 20:53:37

Discussed the whole way through. Decided on two of each about 4 wks before, decision made once ds made his appearance.

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 28-Jan-15 20:58:39

All four of mine were after the birth. I think the quickest we named one was Day 3. Slowest was 3 weeks. Didn't discuss at all beforehand, had a few vague ideas, but none of those cane to fruition.

ScrambledEggAndToast Wed 28-Jan-15 21:31:08

Had decided before the 20 week mark, can't remember when exactly. We had picked out names for both sexes as we didn't know what we were having. DS ended up being named after one of my ex-husband's friends as we both really liked the name.

BlueStarsAtNight Wed 28-Jan-15 22:05:07

Baby due in 5 weeks and I think we've had one very brief conversation so far (literally only mentioned about 3 names, none of which DH liked!)

Guyropes Wed 28-Jan-15 22:19:26

I'm so glad I asked! There are some funny and sweet stories on here!

Ok, I feel less strange about our discussing it soonish! Don't suppose we will decide any time soon.

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Wed 28-Jan-15 22:23:39

With our 1st we had a short list of 3 boys and 3 girls before the 20wk scan and as soon as we knew we picked from the list. For our 2nd I'm 40+2 and she has no name yet grin (I'm hoping when she arrives we'll just 'know')

GoooRooo Thu 29-Jan-15 11:29:16

We had a girl's names from the start. We were still discussing boys names in the car on the way to the hospital - and I was so convinced I was having a girl I wasn't that bothered.

We had a boy.

I got to choose the name ;)

DilysDerwent Thu 29-Jan-15 13:31:51

Had long lists for both sexes before finding out sex at 20wk scan.
Kept narrowing down until had 2 first names at about 7 months. Can't remember exactly when settled on one.
Middle name was decided a few weeks before he was born.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: