Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

kaitlyn - opinions and middle name ideas

(41 Posts)
fraggle84 Wed 28-Jan-15 08:59:50

Dd1 is due tomorrow, the only names we both like are sophia and kaitlyn but sophia seems very popular at the moment so leaning towards kaitlyn.

Honest opinions please

Also middle name ideas welcome, needs to be more than 1 syllable to flow with our surname

AmysTiara Wed 28-Jan-15 09:05:20

I prefer it spelt Caitlin but i do like the name. I love the name Sophia though so if probably go with that.

If you do decide on Kaitlyn, Sophia would go nicely as the middle name.

Mrwillywonkasbitch Wed 28-Jan-15 09:20:29

My friends daughter is called Caitlin (I know spelt differently) and her middle name is Louise

CitronVert Wed 28-Jan-15 09:23:24

I think Caitlin is a much nicer spelling but prefer Sophia.

fraggle84 Wed 28-Jan-15 09:39:00

I didn't even realise its normally caitlin!!

momb Wed 28-Jan-15 09:41:33

Nice name, odd spelling, as others have said.
Caitlin Sophia,
Sophia Caitlin
Either would work and they are lovely together.

YoureMyWifeNowDave Wed 28-Jan-15 09:41:58

My DD is a Caitlin grin her middle name is Ellen

Timetoask Wed 28-Jan-15 09:44:17

Lovely name (whatever spelling you prefer is fine).
Caitlin Elizabeth?

loislines Wed 28-Jan-15 09:44:56

I agree with previous posters that Caitlin is a better spelling and it's a lovely name.

Sophronia Wed 28-Jan-15 11:50:05

I prefer it spelled Caitlin.

anothernumberone Wed 28-Jan-15 11:51:32

Just saying but Caitlin actually is pronounced correctly as Kathleen. It is an Irish name.

Showy Wed 28-Jan-15 11:55:33

I know a couple of Caitlins (never seen Kaitlyn before) and both pronounce it Kathleen. Sort of. More Cotchleen when they say it though if that makes sense? I'm sure I mangle it completely whenever I say it! They are both quite clear that it's Kathleen though, not Kate Lynn.

Twistedheartache Wed 28-Jan-15 11:57:29

Prefer Caitlin spelling wise. Never seen Kaitlyn before.
Kathleen Irish pronunciation is why I ruled it out because my mum said she'd call her Kathleen (nothing wrong with Kathleen but it wasn't the name I chose)
How about Maria as a middle name if it flows with your surname?

pharoahinthebath Wed 28-Jan-15 12:02:22

I like Kaitlyn - but it is very popular, albeit usually spelt Caitlin,.

Interesting that pp are saying it's an Irish name - I always thought it was Welsh - re Dylan Thomas's wife.

anothernumberone Wed 28-Jan-15 12:04:16

showy you have it there with the 'caught leen' admittedly it needs an ín for the een too.

anothernumberone Wed 28-Jan-15 12:06:22

Here is some details on the name.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caitlin

I do reference Wikipedia too much on Mumsnet but I love it.smile

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 28-Jan-15 12:09:29

Also like the name Caitlin. Definitely with this spelling. Caitlin Sophia is a beautiful name.

Showy Wed 28-Jan-15 12:15:46

anothernumberone, I can't type it how they say it at all! Caught Lin is better. But with some other sounds in there which I can't wrap my mouth around. It's beautiful but I'm useless. grin

SkilledatSkiving Wed 28-Jan-15 12:18:10

Lovely name, but please spell it properly.

pinkhousesarebest Wed 28-Jan-15 12:22:43

Caitlin (catch-ling) as the Irish pronounce it, has been sprinkled with American fairy dust and sent back to us as Kaitlin. A bit like Halloween.

squoosh Wed 28-Jan-15 12:26:46

Kathleen is much more common in Ireland than Caitlin. Any Irish Caitlins I've come across seem to use the Americanised kate-lynn version.

SunnyBaudelaire Wed 28-Jan-15 12:29:10

it would be nice if it was spelt properly.
There is no K in the GAelic languages.

squoosh Wed 28-Jan-15 12:31:16

No there's no K in Irish but lots of names like Kathleen, Kevin and the surname Kavanagh are much more common these days in their anglicised state.

SunnyBaudelaire Wed 28-Jan-15 12:32:30

oh yes...Irish and English is so mixed up.
Still think it should be Caitlin tho.
So squoosh, would we say it like 'Kat-leen'?

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 28-Jan-15 12:33:48

The Kaitlyn spelling is nice imo but do prefer the C spelling. Sophia would be nice as middle name.

Kaitlyn Rose
Kaitlyn Marie
Kaitlyn Louise
Kaitlyn Nicole

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: