Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Section in a few hours, girk's name advice!

(43 Posts)
babyblabber Tue 27-Jan-15 12:00:28

Am in hospital waiting for me ELCS which is this afternoon. I know it's a girl, DH doesn't and we still can't agree on a girl's name! We're in Ireland so not all the top UK names are as popular here. Surname is very common so would prefer something not so common.

Penelope - is my top choice, vetoed by DH.
Ella - is his, vetoed by me as too common/boring.
Juliet and Elodie - we both like but I HATE jules and Elle/Ellie and think they would be inevitable especially when she's a teenager and that would really annoy me!
Chloe - is a name I've always loved & DH likes but having been so popular for so long, I wonder is it boring? It's top 10ish last 5 years at least. And with common surname it just doesn't dound special enough!
Eva - is one we both like but so many Ava, Eve, evies etc it's not exactly unusual.
Clara - I like but most irish people pronounce it like Lara which I don't like, would that wreck my head or would I learn to live with it?!!
Layla - was just on the radio & DH thinks that should be it now!

Why do I have to find a problem with all of them?!!! I could love Chloe, Juliet or Clara (especially Juliet I think) but they all have some "issue"!

velvetmoon Tue 27-Jan-15 12:02:41

I think choosing a name with a nickname that you hate is probably a bad idea - you're right that as a teenager she'll probably end up with a nickname, and as those two are the most obvious for the names, I think it might not be terrifically sensible.

Chloe & Clara are lovely, and for what it's worth I think Ella is also very pretty.

Tea1Sugar Tue 27-Jan-15 12:07:58

I'm biased because I have a Chloe!

cosmicglittergirl Tue 27-Jan-15 12:20:45

Clara or Penelope.
Good luck.

Makeoneupnow Tue 27-Jan-15 12:24:01

I like Juliet and Clara best good luck

schopenhauer Tue 27-Jan-15 12:24:43

Phoebe? Chloe is quite nice, prefer Layla tho!

CeartGoLeor Tue 27-Jan-15 12:27:12

I'm Irish but UK-based, OP, and I'm not sure what you're getting at about a different Irish pronunciation of Clara - everyone I've heard pronouncing it in England or Ireland has pronounced it to rhyme with Lara.

Clara or Juliet. Chloe is very 15 years ago, Penelope has a jodhpurs-and riding-hat ring to me, and Eva and Ella are just everywhere - you might as well call your baby 'Girl'.

GooseyLoosey Tue 27-Jan-15 12:31:27

Would go for Clara too.

Also confused about the pronunciation of Clara in Ireland. Dh is Irish and would say it the same way that I do.

babyfedleaning Tue 27-Jan-15 12:32:30

Romilly?

LollyLondon Tue 27-Jan-15 12:35:02

Really lovely names.
Juliet, Chloe (not boring), Eva (bit different to Avas and Evies) and Clara are fab.
Good luck this afternoon!

GlitzAndGigglesx Tue 27-Jan-15 12:37:42

I wanted Chloe for dd but we couldn't agree so didn't use it. So wish I had as I haven't met a little one. So I say go for that! The rest are fairly nice apart from Layla which I really dislike

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 27-Jan-15 12:37:45

I'm English and also pronounce Clara to rhyme with Lara... How else is it pronounced?

I love Juliet. I know two and neither are shortened at all.

squoosh Tue 27-Jan-15 12:40:30

Penelope - bit too frilly for me
Ella - I know two little Irish Ellas
Juliet and Elodie - I really love Juliet. Call her Juliet at home and remind yourself that it really doesn't matter what her teenage friends abbreviate her name to. Elodie is nice too.
Chloe - so boring.
Eva - As well as two Ellas I know two little Irish Evas. Nice name though.
Clara - I don't know what you mean re. Irish pronunciation either. Do you mean that the first 'a' would be quite flat compared to a Southern English pronunciation?
Layla - prefer it spelt Leila, Layla is too 'Laaaaaaaaayla, you got me on ma knees'

squoosh Tue 27-Jan-15 12:43:37

Oh and good luck today!

babyblabber Tue 27-Jan-15 12:54:09

Thanks all. I think at this kate stage it'll be Chloe. Or Juliet if I can accept someone someday will say jules!

Clara to me is Clar, like Car, -ah. Most people here pronounce it more like Clah-rah. Does that make sense?!

squoosh Tue 27-Jan-15 12:59:37

Don't just choose Chloe because you think it won't cause you nickname pain, loads of people will call her Chlo.

I think I know what you mean re. clah-rah. You'd prefer the first 'a' in Clara to be pronounced like the a in 'car' rather the a in 'dad'.

I'm sitting here like an idiot saying 'Clara, Clara, Clara' to work out how it sounds when I say it.

Nonotthatagain Tue 27-Jan-15 13:04:24

Juliet with nn of Lettie?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 27-Jan-15 13:05:12

Ah ok, I would pronounce Lara like car-ra but without the c so that's probably why I'm confused. I wouldn't use a flat 'a' like in dad for Lara or Clara.

MissWimpyDimple Tue 27-Jan-15 13:08:27

I love Layla! It'll also be a little story for her about how you heard it in the hospital and "knew" it was for her

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 27-Jan-15 13:09:06

Ps I also like Layla but prefer the spelling Leila.

squoosh Tue 27-Jan-15 13:13:54

And if you say your surname is a common one, along the names of Murphy for example, well I bet there are a million and one Chloe Murphys knocking about in Ireland whereas Juliet Murphys will be far and few between.

CeartGoLeor Tue 27-Jan-15 13:14:08

Still don't entirely see what you mean about the 'a' sound in Clara. You mean you want a short 'a' like in 'dad'? I've never heard it pronounced as anything other than 'CLAH-ra.'

squoosh Tue 27-Jan-15 13:16:11

No I think she's worried that it would be pronounced with a short a. In Dublin names like Lara and Tara are often said with a short first a.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 27-Jan-15 13:16:45

I think she means she doesn't want a short 'a' but that is how people near her pronounce it. I've never heard it pronounced anything other than 'clar- rah' either though.

HoneyIsBeePoo Tue 27-Jan-15 13:18:22

Julianna?
Eloise?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: