Advanced search

Austen, Heathcliff, Jacob or Leonardo - vote!

(37 Posts)
Abeline Mon 26-Jan-15 19:45:37

These are the final contenders for DS. Vote please!

PartyFops Mon 26-Jan-15 19:50:34

NadiaWadia Mon 26-Jan-15 19:55:06

Jacob is nice. Leonardo is a bit flamboyant, although I suppose you could call him Leo day-to-day. Heathcliff is a bit specific to the character. What if he's not mean and moody (and do you really want him to be)?? Austen's OK but shouldn't it be Austin? I can see you are going for a literary theme though!

MincePieDiet Mon 26-Jan-15 19:55:12

Jacob. The others are awful.

Bowlersarm Mon 26-Jan-15 19:57:00

Only Jacob.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 26-Jan-15 19:57:29

Jacob or Leonardo. The other two are terrible, sorry!

Sophronia Mon 26-Jan-15 19:58:07

TheFillyjonk Mon 26-Jan-15 19:58:12

I second Jacob. Or Austin, but definitely not Austen.

Why Heathcliff? Have you read Wuthering Heights? He's really not admirable.

CPtart Mon 26-Jan-15 20:13:43

Jacob is nice. The others.......are not!

florascotia Mon 26-Jan-15 20:14:42

Sorry. Your baby, your choice of name, absolutely. And many congratulations. But:

After Jane, Austen sounds rather female. And it's a surname, rather than a first name. Austin/Augustin is a male name, centuries old. I like it.

Heathcliffe - another surname, and, for a child today, surely rather cruel? In the book, Heathcliffe is supposed to be attractive because he represents 'the exotic other', in a way that I find rather insulting to his heritage and appearance (in the book he's said to be of Roma ancestry and dark-haired and dark-skinned). Also, why name a child after a man prone to domestic violence, a kidnapper, a vandal who disturbs graves and vindictive murderer, even if he felt desperate because of his circumstances?

Jacob - a perfectly nice name.

Leonardo - nice, but in the UK perhaps a bit flamboyant? Depending on other popular local names for you, perhaps fine but perhaps a bit difficult for a child to live up to? Leo and Leonard are the more usual English-language versions. If you have Italian or Italian-American connections, then of course Leonardo, why not? But otherwise, some people might ask 'why?'.

molesbreath Mon 26-Jan-15 20:15:41

skylark2 Mon 26-Jan-15 20:16:49

Jacob is mediocre, mostly because it's so massively trendy. The others are hilariously bad.

OP, you do realise that you can just tell people what your cultural tastes are, right? You don't need to use your child's name as an advertising billboard.

The others are, imvho, dreadful.

seaoflove Mon 26-Jan-15 20:19:37

Austin (that spelling, as in Texas) is OK. I don't like the Austen spelling, and you would have to correct people a lot.

Jacob seems a bit run of the mill compared with the others.

Kundry Mon 26-Jan-15 20:22:52

Jacob. Only because the others are so awful.

LemonYellowSun Mon 26-Jan-15 20:27:02

I like Leo on its own.

My son had a friend called Heathcliff. He was known as Heath and tbh it always sounds like people were saying Keith!

Azquilith Mon 26-Jan-15 20:29:02

I do wonder if people actually name their children the things they suggest in these threads.

austenozzy Mon 26-Jan-15 20:36:21

ahem hmm

sianihedgehog Mon 26-Jan-15 20:40:59

Bucking the trend, I love Austen and Heathcliffe, Jacob is UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY BORING, and Leonardo sounds notably Italian, which is cool if that's what you're going for.

Abeline Mon 26-Jan-15 20:59:07

Thanks for the input - I appreciate the choices aren't for everyone!

Fizzyplonk Mon 26-Jan-15 21:04:43

Like Heathcliffe if went by Heath
Then Jacob
Like Leonardo if known as Leo
Then Austen as I'm not keen on Austin

DramaAlpaca Mon 26-Jan-15 21:19:25

Jacob or Austin (that spelling)

Leeds2 Mon 26-Jan-15 21:40:03

squoosh Mon 26-Jan-15 21:44:48

Lordy me that's quite a list!

Austen does look a bit feminine. Austin if you must but I'm still not too keen.

Heathcliff - You cannot name your kid after that psychopath. Heath is gorgeous though.

Jacob - Nothing wrong with it but it's a bit 'meh.

Leonardo - bit frilly for a non Italian child. Leo is a good name though.

carbolicsoaprocked Mon 26-Jan-15 22:41:54

Jacob. Love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now