Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

double barrel surname alternatives?

(5 Posts)
nataliekristin Sun 25-Jan-15 09:54:38

my partner and I aren't married or engaged and so I would like my child to have something from both of us in their name.

thing is, our surnames don't really work well together. does anyone have any ideas on how I can incorporate both me and my partner in the name?

GrinAndTonic Sun 25-Jan-15 09:57:56

Middle names.
So John Smith and Jane Jones have a baby. Baby is named Fred Peter Smith Jones but known as Fred Jones.

Zsazsabinks Sun 25-Jan-15 09:58:09

Can you go totally out there and do a 'blend'??

Some cultures don't double barrel as such, but give the mother's maiden name, or even Father's if you're not married as a second middle name. For example, my dh is Portuguese and so, not to 'out' him, I'll use his sister's name:

Suzanna Alexndre Almeida Martins Maia

Where Almeida is her Mother's maiden name....Martins Maia is the father's name. Does that make sense?

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 25-Jan-15 09:58:10

You could have your name as the last name and his as a middle name
Or you could amalgamate your last names into a new name. I know of people who have done this upon marriage.

wesH Sun 25-Jan-15 10:27:52

I don't think you need to worry about your surnames not "working" well together tbh. The longer you see them together the more natural they will look and sound.....unless of course its something like "Alley-Hooker" in which case avoid

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: