Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Girl names

(15 Posts)
AnythingNotEverything Fri 23-Jan-15 22:54:00

Really struggling with girl names. Current list is long, and goes like this:

Georgie (Georgina)
Jemima (DH not keen)
Alice
Nancy (don't like the Cameron connection)
Maeve
Una
Tess (possibly from Esther, possibly just Tess)
Ursula (how do you pronounce that middle syllable?!)

Names I like but are too popular or are already taken:

Iris
Violet
Carys
Megan (Meg)

DD has a very rare but real, spellable name. Can't say what as it will out me entirely. Outside top 50 and spellable are pretty important to us.

DH likes Rosie but I'm not keen. I can't find a Rosie type name (Rosalind etc) that I like either.

Surname begins with a P.

And no -ia names please.

I have Irish and welsh heritage.

Our only boy name is Reuben, and I'm worried it's too popular.

What haven't we thought of?

Thanks!

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 23-Jan-15 22:56:50

Siobhan
Molly
Imogen

Penguinotterfoxbadger Fri 23-Jan-15 23:05:29

For Ursula I would say Urs-you - la.

I really Iike the meaning of Ursula (little bear), also like Esther nn Tess.

Penguinotterfoxbadger Fri 23-Jan-15 23:11:55

Have you considered
Roslyn
Roisin
Rosabel

Or Katherine nn Kitty?

jazzyjenbo Fri 23-Jan-15 23:18:52

I really like Maeve from your list. I dont like ursula at all.. Reminds me of the sea witch in little mermaid and i just dont like the sound of it (but each to their own)

How about Seren or merryn?

Alot of your names seem abit granny chic so how about
Betsey
Betty
Margot
Audrey
Florence
Dotty
Dolly

I have no idea for Mayster!

AnythingNotEverything Fri 23-Jan-15 23:36:22

Penguin I love Roisin. Must work out if we can get away with such an Irish name.

Jazzy - you know my real name. Seren and Merryn are lovely but try them with my surname?! Great suggestions though.

Rhubarbgarden Sat 24-Jan-15 09:32:44

I love Esther from your list. Second the suggestion of Margot.

Twinklestar2 Sat 24-Jan-15 09:41:42

My faves are Ursula, Nancy and Violet.

Zsazsabinks Sat 24-Jan-15 09:48:39

Margot is beautiful. I actually really like Ursula but I'd be worried about what the shortened versions would be....although tbh you can fix that pretty easily by correcting people and thinking up a short version that you like yourself and sticking to it. (Arsey Ursey.....? Although Percy could at a stretch be a super cool girls shortening!)

On the Imogen theme, what about:
Ishbel
Imelda (I LOVE Imelda but hardly anyone agrees with me, I think it's strong and old and beautiful).

Esther I really like.

Reuben is so, so popular now. I know at least four all in different parts of the country and all with different 'types' of parent (hippy, academic, wee bit chavvy...), so I think it's a generally super popular name rather than just a name 'type' IYKWIM.

Jackieharris Sat 24-Jan-15 09:57:39

Easy to spell and the first suggestion is Siobhan? hmm

Georgie (Georgina) I prefer Georgiana
Jemima (DH not keen) I think puddle duck, what about just Jem?
Alice I prefer Alicia and isn't this very popular atm?
Nancy (don't like the Cameron connection) I don't think most people will think of the Cameron connection. He'll be forgotten soon anyway.
Maeve I find this difficult to pronounce and quite old lady
Una it's not very pretty
Tess (possibly from Esther, possibly just Tess) too religious for me & working girl
Ursula (how do you pronounce that middle syllable?!) Ur-sue-la phoebe's not very nice sister in friends

Isis
Oralie
Mabel
Viola
Vivien
Rosabella
Rosemary
Roisin
Rowena
Rosabeth
Hazel
Heather
Carol
Carolyn
Lucille
Sylvie
Joan
Johannah
Cerys

Irishkez Sat 24-Jan-15 10:05:15

Love loads on your list especially Megan.

Orla
Connie
Niamh
Thea
Lois
Iona
Esme
Olive

jazzyjenbo Sat 24-Jan-15 11:22:05

Opps op, i didnt do the name test! Fail shock
U have had some lovely suggestions... I like lois, naimh and love roisin... I used to mind one and she was beautiful

wesH Sat 24-Jan-15 11:50:21

other Rosie type names:
Rosa, rose, rosalind, rosalina, rosalyn, rosalie, Roseanne, roseanna, rosamund

From your list I like maeve, Georgina (strong name and not everyone in the school is going to be called it) and Ursula. Would recommend Tess as a nickname with Esther as the full one, though.

Would advise against jemima and Alice - too twee, would only suit a flowery little girl or a mad old auntie who won't stop fantasizing about the good ol' days.

Reuben I agree is too popular, though it is a nice name. I'd say stay out of the top 10 most popular names, at least, to make sure he won't be known as 'Reuben P' for the entirety of his school days

AnythingNotEverything Sat 24-Jan-15 13:38:17

I find it really fascinating what names bring to mind for different people. I don't see Alice or Jemima as flowery or even very girly girly at all.

Such is the joy of the baby names topic I suppose!

Funny someone should mention Imelda - my mum keeps suggesting it, but to me it's a witch's name. No idea why.

Reuben was 56 on the list last year. I can cope with 56. There were fewer than 20 babies with DD's name in the year she was born. I can't achieve that again without making a name up.

loislines Sat 24-Jan-15 14:35:44

What about Theresa / Teresa with the nn Tess? Love Ursula, Maeve and Esther too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: