Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Help me find a really pretty, princessy girls name

(91 Posts)
babyblabber Fri 23-Jan-15 11:32:55

DD is Sophia (DS is Noah). DD2 is arriving by section in 4 days and we still don't have a name. I LOVE the name Sophia, it's everything perfect for girl IMO. i know it will get shortened to Soph at times but that's not the worst. I can't find something I like as much for poor DD2!

DH has vetoed Poppy, Penelope (my favourite at the moment), Aurelia, Lola, Layla, Mila, Annabel, Alannah, Alexa, Phoebe, Arabella.

Names I love but don't want to use coz i don't like the shortened versions are: Juliet, Elodie, Rebecca, Eloise, Julia, Aurora, Isabella, Valentina, Vivienne, Olivia. These are the exact type of name i want but can't get around the shortenings which i really don't like.

I also love Clara but we're in Ireland and most people pronounce it differently to me (like Lara as opposed to Clar like Car -ah) and that would annoy me!

I LOVE Rosa and Elena but can't use them due to friends and family.

The only name we remotely agree on is Chloe and while it is a lovely name I'm not sure if it's fancy enough, especially as it's been so popular for so long, I'm worried it's a bit boring now.

Bowlersarm Fri 23-Jan-15 11:35:41

Jemima
Marina
Iona
India

SoupDragon Fri 23-Jan-15 11:41:23

Louisa
Imogen
Annabel
Alice/Alicia

SoupDragon Fri 23-Jan-15 11:42:46

Serena

Zamboni Fri 23-Jan-15 11:48:17

Anastasia
Cora
Tabitha
Ameila
Sabrina
Georgia
Grace
Marianne

charlyn Fri 23-Jan-15 11:52:20

Cecily
Elvira (Elva/Elvie)
Delphina
Florence
Ophelia
Rosalie
Carissa
Graciela (Grace/Gracie)
Eliza
Zara
Madeleine
Adelina
Hermione

wigglesrock Fri 23-Jan-15 11:52:46

I have 3 daughters and you've named them all in your OP and in the names you can't use smile.

What about Sadie, Violet, Amber?

Ps my dd1 is Sofia, her name isn't shortened normally, a few people call her Fia. One classmate called her Soph once, she told her to stop, she didn't like it.

Only1scoop Fri 23-Jan-15 11:55:19

Jasmine
Celeste
Annabelle
Jessica

confusedandemployed Fri 23-Jan-15 11:56:07

Alicia
Beatrice
Elodie
Flora

Only1scoop Fri 23-Jan-15 11:56:28

Sorry just read the vetoed list of your DH....

How rude that is MY name grin

Purpleflamingos Fri 23-Jan-15 12:03:18

Merida
Eriana/Eliana
Luciana/Lucia
Dulcie
Larissa
Eleanor

....why not check out South Americana and Spanish top 100 girls names if you like Sophia?

MsHap Fri 23-Jan-15 12:14:57

Beatrice
Cecilia
Louisa
Alexandra
Lydia

rainyevening Fri 23-Jan-15 12:19:09

Lots of lovely names here. I'm just wondering, though, why you want your daughter's name to be 'princessy'?

beakerandburette Fri 23-Jan-15 12:24:53

My DD is called Kate. I like traditional names like Emma, Anna, Elsie, Mary, Joan, Mirren, Beatrice, Elinor, Greta, Rose, Phyllis and Freya.

HolyTerror Fri 23-Jan-15 12:24:58

Yes, your mention of a 'princessy' name immediately makes me think of whatever that unfortunate daughter of Katie Price is called. Princess Tiammii?

sticklebrickstickle Fri 23-Jan-15 12:28:27

Lydia
Charlotte
Ottilie
Elena

Angelto5 Fri 23-Jan-15 12:28:49

The initial names I thought after reading your OP are-
Evangeline
Madeleine
Grace
Elizabeth

NameNumber2 Fri 23-Jan-15 12:30:56

Liliana

NameNumber2 Fri 23-Jan-15 12:31:06

Jasmine

LollyLondon Fri 23-Jan-15 12:31:08

Polly
Valentina (gorgeous name, have heard it shortened to "Vivi")
Christina
Angelina
Emilia (Milly)

MsHap Fri 23-Jan-15 12:31:39

agree, I don't see Sophia as princessy - I see it as a lovely strong elegant name. Maybe a bit regal if you want to use that term (so go for other royal names like Elizabeth, Catherine, Isabella, Eleanor etc which are all lovely too I think.)

Princessy names to me are Lucy, Alice, Sophie, Poppy,

babyblabber Fri 23-Jan-15 12:34:49

By princess's I just mean girly & pretty (Sophia is obsessed with all things princess so maybe I'm being influenced by her!!!)

Some good ones there but not sure I've found "the one".

Wiggle rock please tell me your other DDs names?!!! Our Sophia is never soph either but I think when she's a teenager we may have less of a say!

wigglesrock Fri 23-Jan-15 12:37:35

Anna and Olivia (Liv).

ActionManEyes Fri 23-Jan-15 12:39:20

Claudia
Lena
Zenobia
Colette
Ivana
Esther
Antonia
Octavia

wigglesrock Fri 23-Jan-15 12:40:48

Juliet, Tess, Rebecca, Elena, Claudia, Stella were on the list for our youngest.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: