Talk

Advanced search

Rate these names plz

(45 Posts)
yasi6182 Fri 23-Jan-15 09:36:29

I like these names for baby boys , but wanna know what other people think about them. How unique or common they are? Please rate them from 1-10
1 Davin
2 Rohan
3 Noyan
4 Darman/Darmon
5 Damon
6 Arian

HearTheThunderRoar Fri 23-Jan-15 10:55:33

Never heard of any of those names apart from Rohan and Damon.

Davin: 2/10 - awful name, looks like a typo for Gavin.
Rohan: 8/10 - good name, best of the bunch.
Noyan: 1/10 - worst name of the lot and it looks made up. Don't even know how you would pronounce it.
Darman: 3/10 - Again looks made up but better than above.
Damon: 4/10 - Okay I guess but reminds of Matt Damon and the name Damien.
Arian: 2/10 - Looks like you forgot the 'd' for Adrian.

Honestly all of them are awful names apart from Rohan.

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 23-Jan-15 11:29:30

As these names form a non English culture?

They ones that work best in the UK are probably Rohan or Damon as they will be most familiar.

I like Arian but it is similar to Arrianne which a girls name and I presume it would be pronounced the same? Arry -ann?

Darman is quite nice and I'd rate it similarly to Davin but I am not keen on Noyan - it doesn't have a nice feel about it to me.

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 23-Jan-15 12:30:47

Davin - 1/10 seems made up and like a possible spelling mistake. I imagine the child would be saying "like Gavin but with a d" for his whole life.

Rohan - 4/10. Shouts "Lord of the Rings" fan but is one of the better ones in this list.

Noyan - 3/10. Never come across this before but apparently it means something similar to "mister" in Mongolian! It doesn't seem made up but I'm not massively keen on it.

Darman/Darmon - 1/10. These both feel made up and I don't like either version. Either one would inevitably end up being mistaken for Damon/Damian etc.

Damon 5/10. This is ok. I would assume you were a Blur fan.

Arian - 5/10. This means silver (or money/change) in Welsh. It's alright but some might interpret it as a girls name.

LollyLondon Fri 23-Jan-15 12:36:03

Davin - 4/10.
Rohan - 6/10 best of the bunch.
Noyan - awful, sorry!
Darman/Darmon - 3/10
Damon - 5/10
Arian - 2/10. May be mistaken for Aryan. A bit girlie.

squoosh Fri 23-Jan-15 12:50:59

1 Davin 2/10 bit too 'Dave' like
2 Rohan 7/10
3 Noyan 1/10 it's annoyin'
4 Darman/Darmon 5/10 for Darman (Darmon doesn't look as good)
5 Damon 5/10 make me think of Mr Albarn too
6 Arian -100/10 Far too Aryan for me. Would you not worry people would mistake you for a white supremacist?

shoobidoo Fri 23-Jan-15 14:22:50

I only really like Rohan and Damon from your list.

How about
Damian
Quentin
Rowan
Reuben
Adrian

Tattiesthroughthebree Fri 23-Jan-15 16:16:01

Damhan-allaidh, pronounced Davin-ali is Scottish Gaelic for spider. I've only ever heard Davin as a name for a spider!

wesH Fri 23-Jan-15 17:14:23

They're all equally ugly except Arian which sounds FAR too much like 'aryan' and is exactly what people will think of when they hear that name. Please never ever call your child this, as it will only lead to a lot of people whispering about you possibly being a nazi behind your back. Have you considered Orion instead? Like the constellation, Orion the hunter

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 23-Jan-15 18:11:24

Arian isn't pronounced like aryan really though. It's more like arry-ann. Although I suppose that if people only see it written down they might not work that out...

wesH Fri 23-Jan-15 18:37:44

People aren't going to notice a minuscule, barely-decipherable phonetic difference in those two words. Trust me

florascotia Fri 23-Jan-15 19:15:16

Of the listed names:

Davin = a version of Devin/Devon which is a surname. As well as being very similar to 'spider' in Gaelic, it's also similar to the Scottish girl's name, Davina.
Rohan = very nice Indian name but really popular (nothing at all wrong with that, but perhaps you are not looking for popular names?)
Noyan = Mongolian word for 'noble' or 'prince'. If you have Mongolian heritage, then fine, but in most cultures, titles are not used as personal names.
Darmon = another surname.
Damon = Ancient Greek. I rather think of it as the male equivalent of Phyllis.
Arian= agree with wesH above

HolyTerror Fri 23-Jan-15 19:15:52

If, as I assume, they are names from another language/culture, then unless responders on here are from the same background, they won't know how common or uncommon they are globally.

I like like Davin by far the best. Damon will forever be Damon Albarn, Rohan sounds like Rowan miss-spelled by a Lord of the Rings fan, Arian is a Neo-Nazi rock band, and Noyan sounds too like the French for drowning.

Wotsitsareafterme Fri 23-Jan-15 19:17:41

I think Rohan is lovely

yasi6182 Fri 23-Jan-15 21:48:53

Thank U all for ur honest comments! ;)
What do you think about Diba for a little cute princess ?

TestNamePleaseIgnore Fri 23-Jan-15 22:04:28

What about rayaan?

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 23-Jan-15 22:05:53

Are they Indian names? If so, I like Arjun for a boy smile

squoosh Fri 23-Jan-15 22:09:45

Does Diba rhyme with diva?

Theas18 Fri 23-Jan-15 22:11:01

Not sure where these names come from. To th uk English eye they look made up apart from Rohan and Damon.

Rohan is great. Damon - well at least it's a name....

Never Arian unless you are a white supremacist and in which case I'll get me coat as they say!

Op are you in the US ? People may feel differently about apparently made up names there.

Vijac Fri 23-Jan-15 22:22:35

I've only heard of Rohan and Damon but neither of these are common. I've never met a danni and never a child Rohan. I only like Damon from your list.

lemisscared Fri 23-Jan-15 22:25:20

are you taking the piss

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 23-Jan-15 22:52:24

I've never met or heard of a Diba, but it sounds ok and apparently has a nice meaning in Persian. People might mistake it for Diva, which would be a bad name for a baby girl!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 23-Jan-15 23:14:06

Firstly congratulations.
Davin. No. It's like Gavin gone wrong and it sounds like a mispronouciation of Devon.
Ronan. Don't like it but it's a nice name that will cause no problems
Noyan, Awful sorry. "Annoying" definate teasing risk there.
Darmon. Don't like it. Nothing wrong just don't like the sound.
Damon. Same as above.
Arian. Definitely not. It sounds like a pretty little girls name. Very very effeminate.
Sorry if I've came over like a bitch, but I guess you did ask opinion.

yasi6182 Fri 23-Jan-15 23:21:49

As some might have guessed i'm not living in UK. I'm from Canada with persian background.that's why my names look strange to most of U but they all have beautiful meanings in my langouage. On the other hand, it is extremley important to me that the names would have good first impression once other people hear them.looking for simple, unique and modern names, I'm open to any suggestion . Boys and girls names starting With D are my preferences.

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 23-Jan-15 23:32:55

Donya for a girl and Dariush for a boy?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: