Talk

Advanced search

Marianne

(42 Posts)
elfride Thu 22-Jan-15 13:02:39

How would you pronounce this? Marry-un? Or Marry-Anne? Do you think it's awkward? I'm taking a liking to it.

BiancaDelRio Thu 22-Jan-15 13:05:35

Marry-Anne. Emphasis on the Anne.

Marian/Marion would be the other pronunciation.

It's fine. Not rocking my world but a fine name. I grew up with a few so it feels a wee bit 80's to me.

squoosh Thu 22-Jan-15 13:09:23

Marry-Anne equal emphasis on both. As in the wonderful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDj5T8-H2R8

happyelf Thu 22-Jan-15 13:10:28

My friend is called Marianne. It's pronounced Marry Anne. I think it's a lovely name. However she gets called a range of alternatives that drive her batty. Anne Marie and Marion and Maureen grin

BlueStarsAtNight Thu 22-Jan-15 13:11:58

I love the name, it makes me think of Sense and Sensibility. I hate Marion though so that possible mispronounciation would put me off a bit

Jackieharris Thu 22-Jan-15 14:02:02

Marry Anne there can't be many of those these days.

loislines Thu 22-Jan-15 14:16:13

Marry anne. Lovely name. Makes me think of sense and sensibility and the great Leonard Cohen song.

CruCru Thu 22-Jan-15 14:24:48

I love this name and had it on my list. I pronounce it Marri Anne. What put me off was the idea of people pronouncing it Mary Anne or Marian.

LovethenameDaphne Thu 22-Jan-15 15:48:52

Lovely name. I know an adult one, only downside is the nn Maz which isn't great imo. I suppose that's not inevitable though.

NadiaWadia Thu 22-Jan-15 16:38:34

Absolutely beautiful name. But be aware that Americans (annoyingly) pronounce it exactly the same as Mary Anne. See this song by the Four Seasons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqupS8x0i1c

Or what sounds just like it to British ears. They are wrong of course! It should be 'marry-ANNE'. Anyway, hopefully that shouldn't affect you, so I would go for it.

TheNewStatesman Fri 23-Jan-15 07:48:49

Marry Ann.

Lovely name.

ChickenWireIsSharp Fri 23-Jan-15 10:16:09

My mum is called Marianne.

We say it Marry-Anne, it's a lovely name.

ChickenMe Fri 23-Jan-15 16:44:18

I love this name so much but we have already picked a name.

gymboywalton Fri 23-Jan-15 16:45:27

i know someone with the name who pronounces it marry-ann-ay which i think is very pretty

thecaroline Fri 23-Jan-15 16:59:29

I'm a poor American thick-tongued peasant. I'd say Mary Anne, equal emphasis on both. Mary and Marry are the same sound to me. When you say Marry-Anne does that mean it begins with the MARR sound (as in marred, for instance)? Or like MAH-ry as in mattress?

I think it's beautiful and underused. Mariana is also nice.

gymboywalton Fri 23-Jan-15 17:04:48

marry like you are going to marry someone

you wouldn't say you were going to mary someone would you?

ma-ree

squoosh Fri 23-Jan-15 17:05:39

In an American accent you might.

gymboywalton Fri 23-Jan-15 17:05:45

mah- makes a long vowelled mar sound here

marry has a short vowel

squoosh Fri 23-Jan-15 17:06:29

Yes, it's mah as in mattress thecaroline. Mah-Ree-Ann.

NadiaWadia Fri 23-Jan-15 17:37:01

short 'a' as in 'apple'.

NadiaWadia Fri 23-Jan-15 17:41:54

Does 'Mary' rhyme with 'Harry' to you, then, Caroline? (BTW I am sure you're not a thick-tongued peasant!) I am not really saying anyone's wrong, just genuinely interested in linguistic differences.

Trinpy Fri 23-Jan-15 17:42:57

I know an adult and a toddler Marianne. I don't love them name but I think it's sweet on the toddler and sensible on the adult, so best of both worlds.

ChickenWireIsSharp Fri 23-Jan-15 18:19:18

Mah-Ree-Anne is how we say my mums name. Equal emphasis on all.

Marry-Anne. I love it. Wanted it for dd1 (huge Austen fan) but it didn't go with dp's surname.

thecaroline Fri 23-Jan-15 22:35:20

Yes, Mary and Harry rhyme to me. We say Harry like hairy here, and I think that's a reason the name hasn't really taken off in the US.

Mary, Merry, Marry - all the same to me (I'm from the Southeastern US)

gymboywalton - yes, I mean, they're homophones in American English. They sound exactly the same but are spelled differently.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: