Advanced search

Baby boy names: Reuben or Arthur and open to suggestions!

(12 Posts)
Blondie87 Wed 21-Jan-15 19:49:15

So excited to be having our first child this year. We chose to find out the gender and we are having a boy. I have to say choosing boys names is proving quite tricky! Had lots of ideas for girls' names but not so many for boys. DH and I are quite keen on either:
Reuben William
Arthur Isaac
We plan on keeping the name a secret from friends and family until he is born so there is some surprise. We therefore are not discussing names with them and so it's hard to get people's views. DH really likes Reuben but I'm not 100% sure yet; I like it but don't know any Reuben's myself- what are your views on it? Thanks for any opinions expressed.

MaraThonbar Wed 21-Jan-15 20:00:01

Lovely names but both very popular in my experience, which may or may not bother you!

Blondie87 Wed 21-Jan-15 20:28:32

Thanks! I'm one of the first in my friendship group to have a baby so I'm not sure what the current trends are. No one in my peer group at university or work is called either Arthur or Reuben so I thought they were relatively uncommon. Doesn't bother me at all but I work in education so I'm trying to find names I don't often come across. Guess I'm behind the times!

florascotia Wed 21-Jan-15 20:43:45

Both very nice names. Congratulations!
If popularity bothers you, here are the latest stats:

BlueberryWafer Wed 21-Jan-15 20:50:42

I love the name Reuben and would have had it on my list had someone in my family not recently used it.

Blondie87 Wed 21-Jan-15 21:01:29

Thanks for link florascotia- really interesting to see the trends! I see that Reuben is getting more popular but not ridiculously so. That works for me!

carbolicsoaprocked Wed 21-Jan-15 21:20:57

Love Reuben, it is our front runner if we have a boy. Not so keen on Arthur, but lots of people are! x

picklesandfrittles Wed 21-Jan-15 21:49:06

I've got an Arthur and so am very biased! But I just wanted to say we were really worried that it was becoming very popular (he is 2) but
we have only met one or two others so far. I love his name and haven't regretted it for a second. Also get lots of compliments on it.

BlueStarsAtNight Wed 21-Jan-15 22:41:52

They are both lovely names - we would have used Reuben if it wasn't already taken in the family, and are considering both Arthur and Isaac for future DS! I haven't come across anyone with either name and I mix with a fair amount of under 3's

Sophronia Thu 22-Jan-15 10:26:07

Congratulations! I prefer Arthur, but both are nice.

D0nnaO Sat 24-Jan-15 19:39:37

both are lovely smile

Blondie87 Sat 24-Jan-15 20:27:59

Thanks everyone, thinking probably Arthur out of the two!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now