Talk

Advanced search

Florence/Beatrice/Penelope

(9 Posts)
isthisjustfantasy Mon 19-Jan-15 23:45:57

What are your thoughts please and what other names might we like? Looking for something classic but not overused.

ChickenMe Mon 19-Jan-15 23:55:43

All lovely names but I fear Florence is somewhat popular now, followed by Beatrice then Penelope the least well-used.
I think the latter two are still not uber popular though and they are lovely.
I suppose I would think of names like Marianne, Jemima, maybe Juliet as being in a similar vein.

northernlurker Mon 19-Jan-15 23:58:27

Beatrice is just one of some excellent Shakespearean names -

Beatrice
Juliet
Ophelia
Perdita
Miranda
Celia
Rosalind
Portia
Viola

charlyn Tue 20-Jan-15 10:19:19

I think Florence is getting very popular now.
Other ideas..

Aurelia
Cecilia
Rosalie
Madeleine
Eloisa
Isadora
Arabella
Estella
Cecily
Romilly

ChewyGiraffe Tue 20-Jan-15 10:28:28

Have you considered whether you'd like what they're bound to get shortened to? You'd quite probably end up with Flo, Beattie (we had a Great Aunt Beattie, seriously) or Penny (as in Miranda's mum).

mrsnec Tue 20-Jan-15 10:30:15

Those were all on my shortlist. As were Phoebe, Sophia, Abigail,Constance,Melissa and Marguerite.

TheyLearnedFromBrian Tue 20-Jan-15 10:31:16

If you don't want overused, just avoid Florence.

I've known a couple of Beatrices and they've both been Bea, and Penelope I would shorten to Nell before Penny - but like Penny too.

looki Tue 20-Jan-15 13:21:20

I really don't like Beatrice. I'm not sure about Florence really. I'm used to hearing it but initially I really didn't like it. Its not the worst name but there are nicer. Out of the three, Penelope is my favourite.

What about Imogen, Matilda, Theadora, Sophie, Margot?

SK28 Tue 20-Jan-15 18:46:04

I love all three of these names and they were all on my initial longlist of names!

Someone else suggested Isadora - I ADORE Isadora. We've chosen another girl's name for reasons closer to my DH but Isadora is top of the list for a subsequent girl if we get the chance!

How about:

- Delilah
- Jemima
- Anastasia
- Theodora
- Dorothy
- Genevieve
- Evelina

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: