Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

What do you think of double barrelled names?

(11 Posts)
Pyjamaramadrama Mon 19-Jan-15 17:21:01

I'm in a bit of an awkward situation.

My ds has my surname, several years on and in a new relationship I'm expecting baby number two.

I want the dc's to have the same surname, ds definitely doesn't want to change his name to dps, I have no intentions of changing my name on marriage, love my name, but I feel as though giving the baby just my name is unfair on dp.

So I thought a good compromise would be baby my name-his name. Both are two syllable names but they do sound ok together.

I thought perhaps at school baby could just use the first bit if he/she feels it's too long but will still have dads name recognised.

I'm not opposed to double barreling mine in the future either and ds if he wants to, so we'd all be family my name-his name.

Starlight9 Mon 19-Jan-15 19:24:44

I am in the exact same situation and will give baby number 2 both names. I didn't want my first born feeling like there was some sort of divide when she is a little older

CleverPlansAndSecretTricks Mon 19-Jan-15 20:22:31

Ask DP if he wants to change his to yours?

TellmetogetonwithmyWork Mon 19-Jan-15 20:24:44

If the names are not too cumbersome together then that is a good solution

Pyjamaramadrama Mon 19-Jan-15 20:35:25

There's no chance. He already thinks I'm a bit mad for saying I wouldn't change my own name, as he just thinks that's what everyone does.

We did joke about just choosing a new random name that we all like but realistically I think we both just like our own names and identities.

I generally don't like double barrelled but I figured little one can just be known as mine for school and to be the same as big brother. Then as an adult he she can choose either or both.

It's not ideal and I know dp would accept the baby having my name but I feel it's a little unfair not only to dp but to the baby who may want dads name later in life.

Littleturkish Mon 19-Jan-15 20:52:53

It's nice having both. I had both my parents names (who were married) and I really liked it. I used them together and separately, depending on what I was doing!

Now I'm married, I've taken my husband's name, but double barrelled surnames are really common now and I don't think you'll do your child a disservice by giving he or she one.

avocadotoast Mon 19-Jan-15 23:29:48

DH & I double barrelled when we got married (so baby will be too). I think if I'd really been bothered he would have changed his name to mine, but I kind of like us having both; it makes us kind of feel more of a team almost.

I knew a girl who was only given her dads surname and chose to have it changed to be double barrelled and include her mum's when she was only about 9.

I don't think they're as unusual these days as they once were, and like you say, there's always the option to just use part of it smile

squoosh Tue 20-Jan-15 10:35:58

Give Child2 both surnames and he can choose to use both or drop one as takes his/her fancy.

I'm a fan of double barrelled, even if the names don't 'go'!

Kym134 Sun 01-Feb-15 20:29:22

I double barreled my name after getting married and DH changed his to match so we both have both names smile

ThisFenceIsComfy Sun 01-Feb-15 20:36:36

I can't stand it tbh. My son has a double barrelled surname but then his father's family have had a double barrelled surname since the 16th century. I wouldn't triple barrel my son's surname to include mine.

wesH Sun 01-Feb-15 20:54:28

The double barrelled surname sounds like a great idea. Other than that, I might be an old fashioned sort of man but I think that whichever partner who has to expel a human being from their lower orifice should have the final say.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: