Talk

Advanced search

English forenames beginning with K - a socioeconomic marker?

(52 Posts)
howtodrainyourflagon Sat 17-Jan-15 19:54:50

Db teaches y4 and has had a hell of a time last term due to a difficult class. The class have been hard work for every teacher that's dealt with them and apparently the root of the trouble is a group of kids who mostly have names beginning with K.

Db has a theory that k-names are usually associated with less educated parents and he's found that classes with lots of them are hard work. Apparently A-names and O-names are the hardworking ones who behave themselves.

I think db is clearly being driven mad by the little buggers but having pondered the k-name issue the only mc k-name I can think of is Katherine. Is there something in this theory?

usualsuspect333 Sat 17-Jan-15 19:57:47

He sounds like a knob.

ChutesTooNarrow Sat 17-Jan-15 20:00:09

Ffs, no there is nothing in that theory, it really does people with k names no favours when people spout crap like that. Ask your db to read about the power of labelling and self fulfilling prophecy. And have a guess at what my name begins with!

FiveLittlePeas Sat 17-Jan-15 20:00:10

mm I don't know... but thanksfully my kids' names begin with A and S. My DS's best friend begins with K but she's a sweet, shy creature.

elQuintoConyo Sat 17-Jan-15 20:00:18

Oh, shit <looks worriedly at little Kebab nursing on left book>

Imvho it sounds like a load of wank.

Twitterqueen Sat 17-Jan-15 20:01:46

Clearly a very stupid, ill-educated, ridiculous theory. What does your name begin with? I think your DB needs to change his career. I would SO not want my child to be taught by him.

KatieKaye Sat 17-Jan-15 20:02:29

Keren
Kerenza
Kester
Kay
Kenneth
Kirsten
Keir

meditrina Sat 17-Jan-15 20:02:43

I think it's inevitable that teachers make associations depending on whether their pupils have been angels or demons (must make naming their own even harder).

Not so long ago it was T names that were in the firing line.

floatyflo Sat 17-Jan-15 20:03:17

Wow. The judgey patrol are certainly out in force on MN tonight.

Of course a name doesn't make a person ffs.

SmileAndNod Sat 17-Jan-15 20:08:20

Ooh. What if you have a K and an O <conflicted>

Blackforestdonuts Sat 17-Jan-15 20:09:33

I'm a teacher. What a sad way to talk about 9 year olds (and pretty snobbish too, don't you think?)

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 17-Jan-15 20:10:55

Well I own loads more than any teacher and have a K name . So judge away !

KatieKaye Sat 17-Jan-15 20:12:00

Karen
Katrina
Kieran
Keith
Kerr
Kingsley
Kirsty

I reckon your brother's an idiot to make such silly judgements based on the first letter of a name.

Proud to have a forename beginning with K in RL and I don't fit into your brother's narrow-minded theories.

KatieKaye Sat 17-Jan-15 20:14:07

I used to have a K forename and an O surname, smile.
Do I get a special prize? <hopeful>

sydenhamhiller Sat 17-Jan-15 20:14:11

Oh no! Have old-fashioned Scottish name beginning with K.
Had no idea I was constantly being judged by others as having behavioural issues for this reason...

OverAndAbove Sat 17-Jan-15 20:14:33

Our next queen will be Kate. Ok, Catherine in full. But Kate.

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Sat 17-Jan-15 20:19:05

My god he's a fucking stupid, ill educated twat silly man

howtodrainyourflagon Sat 17-Jan-15 20:24:02

I have a cat with a k-name and was mildly offended on his behalf but I am feeling sympathetic and giving him a shoulder to cry on as he's being run ragged by his current class.

I think teachers can have their opinions of certain names really shaped by individual kids and he's just had some bad luck with these ones.

usualsuspect333 Sat 17-Jan-15 20:26:43

Maybe he needs a new job.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 17-Jan-15 20:28:35

If that's his thought pattern I can understand why he's being run ragged .

QueenofLouisiana Sat 17-Jan-15 20:38:18

I'm a K, i could also be his line manager...except no-one I work with is so up their own backside.

Perhaps a career re-think may be a good option? Teaching children who you look down upon to this extent is never going to end well.

FWIW, both parents and children can do stuff to annoy me, but I wouldn't lump them together in such a way.

mrsminiverscharlady Sat 17-Jan-15 20:45:24

So he's saying that less well educated parents produce naughty children. Hmm. The naughtiest child I know has Oxbridge educated parents with a PhD apiece!

blahbloodyblah Sat 17-Jan-15 20:52:01

Kimberley
Khloe
Kourtney
Kendall
Kylie
Kris

He's right

YoullLikeItNotaLot Sat 17-Jan-15 21:04:42

Db has a theory that k-names are usually associated with less educated parents and he's found that classes with lots of them are hard work.

having pondered the k-name issue the only mc k-name I can think of is Katherine.

You sound as bad as each other. Thankfully my kids aren't in year 4.

HermioneWeasley Sat 17-Jan-15 21:10:55

Names are a socio-economic marker (there's a chapter in Freakonomics about it if you're interested) You don't get many people on FSM called Tarquin and you don't get many people in Eton called Kayleigh.

Not a predictor of behaviour or intelligence though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: