Advanced search

Bethan - how is it pronounced?

(29 Posts)
longestlurkerever Tue 13-Jan-15 16:34:15

I really love this name but am not Welsh. I grew up on the borders of North Wales with lots of Welsh-named school friends though and they generally pronounced it "Beth-An" with the emphasis on the "An" though they were not generally Welsh either - certainly not Welsh speaking though they probably had Welsh backgrounds. I've since heard "Bethun", with the emphasis on the "Beth" and I read a confusing thread with people from South Wales disagreeing about the correct pronunciation. Is it optional/variable depending on accent/dialect or is one of the pronunciations definitely wrong?

We would probably use Beth on a day to day basis anyway so I am not massively bothered if different people pronounce it differently but I am lobbying dh to make Bethan the official name and my cause is not helped by being unsure of how it's pronounced.

Beth-an rather than Beth-un. Emphasis on the Beth, usually.

WishUponAStar88 Tue 13-Jan-15 16:38:10

I only know one and she pronounces it Bethun. I wouldn't say emphasis on the un but definitely not an 'Ann' sound. She's not Welsh either though.

longestlurkerever Tue 13-Jan-15 16:39:48

Yes, I suppose I don't mean Beth-Anne with the emphasis properly on the "An" but the emphasis being balanced-ish, rather than Beth'n. Good - it seems the way I naturally pronounce it is OK.

longestlurkerever Tue 13-Jan-15 16:41:00

...or not! Crossed posts smile.

Walkingonsunshine00 Tue 13-Jan-15 16:42:04

Beth-Ann with emphasis on Beth

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Tue 13-Jan-15 16:43:43

Definitely BETH-an. (I grew up in South Wales from the age of 6, if it makes a difference) grin (Listening to the pronunciation, though, there's not a lot of difference between Beth-an and Beth-un). But of course, the emphasis should always be on the 'Beth' bit

longestlurkerever Tue 13-Jan-15 16:51:07

Thanks. The more I think about it the more I do emphasise the Beth, but the "An" bit is quite distinct too - more distinct than when some people say it.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 13-Jan-15 17:22:13

I know two - one is from a Welsh family and is pronounced Beth-Anne. One is not Welsh and pronounced Beth'n.

Sorry to be no help whatsoever grin.

VashtaNerada Tue 13-Jan-15 17:24:37

I think it's an accent thing. BETH-an (and MEG-an) are correct with a Welsh accent but sound odd if your normal accent is different!

Bue Wed 14-Jan-15 10:25:44

BETH-un. That's how the ones I know all pronounce it.

manicinsomniac Wed 14-Jan-15 10:31:07

I know two that both say Beth-'n (South East England)

nagynolonger Wed 14-Jan-15 10:35:28

Round here people say Beth-un, but Beth-an does sound nicer.

BestIsWest Wed 14-Jan-15 10:43:51

Beth- un. I live in South Wales.

passmethevino Wed 14-Jan-15 21:56:43

One of my best friends is Beth-un.

Belazu84 Thu 15-Jan-15 20:02:11

I know a Bethun. Welsh heritage but English accent.

CleverPlansAndSecretTricks Thu 15-Jan-15 20:04:58

Welsh accent "Beth-an"
English accent "beth'n"

Either way accent very much on the first syllable.

Allstoppedup Thu 15-Jan-15 20:14:43

My best friend is a Welsh Bethan.

We all say it Beth- AN (emphasis on the An)

She generally goes by Beth though! ��

FoxyMcFox Thu 15-Jan-15 20:27:18

Bethun round here.

What about Bethany? Nobody would say Bethuny surely? X

FoxyMcFox Thu 15-Jan-15 20:27:48

ARGGHHHH sorry about the "x" blush

longestlurkerever Fri 16-Jan-15 09:29:44

Thanks. I think the consensus is that there is no consensus! Which is fine.

Foxy Sorry to say that even though it's only one letter different I really dislike Bethany - it sounds made up.

spiderlight Fri 16-Jan-15 16:28:31

BETHan. South Welsh.

SouthernComforts Fri 16-Jan-15 16:31:20

Beth'n - the one I know is always called Beth through.

atticusclaw Fri 16-Jan-15 16:35:30

I think it entirely depends on whether you have welsh accent.

Similarly my best friend is called Angharad. Sounds completely different when she says it with a Welsh accent to the way everyone else around here says it with English accents.

CatsAreLikeChocolates Fri 16-Jan-15 16:37:31

I'm in Cardiff so I know a few of them. The main difference in the pronunciation seems to be that first language Welsh speakers say Beth-Anne (with the emphasis on the Anne) and the first language English, but are still very much Welsh, amongst us say Beth-an (with the emphasis on the Beth). Either way very pretty and the Welsh version of Elizabeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now