Advanced search

Does this name work?

(15 Posts)
seanranson Mon 12-Jan-15 13:40:40

Hi, I'm new to mumsnet and this is my first post.

We're looking for a name for our little girl due 22 Feb. We both like Clara but I wanted to gauge opinion. Particularly given our surname is Ranson.

Do the two names run into each other a bit - given they begin / end with 'ra'?

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 12-Jan-15 13:54:24

Remember she won't be addressed by her full name all the time. It's a lovely name and not overused. My first name and surname have the same ending and it's never been commented on. Go for it!

squoosh Mon 12-Jan-15 13:58:34

I'm sure some name purists would hesitate but I think it works fine. Nice name.

WowserBowser Mon 12-Jan-15 14:00:00

No, I understand what you are saying but it is fine. Clara is lovely.

CompletelyIncompetent Mon 12-Jan-15 17:03:48

Clara is beautiful. I guess the names do run into each other a bit but I don't think it's a big deal.

Benchmark Mon 12-Jan-15 17:46:05

I don't think it's the best combination ever but if I loved the name it wouldn't be enough to put me off.

EmpressOfJurisfiction Mon 12-Jan-15 17:50:33

Clara's lovely. I'd go ahead.

LesleyKnopeFan Mon 12-Jan-15 17:53:10

I love Clara, one of my favourite names.

LesleyKnopeFan Mon 12-Jan-15 17:53:33

Sorry, forgot to add I think it sounds absolutely fine with your surname.

PeppermintTeaForMe Mon 12-Jan-15 17:57:11

We just gave our daughter a name which is not brilliant with our surname (alliterative, and slightly rhymey). We really debated over it, but just couldn't find a name which we loved as much. I posted on here (without giving the name), and the general advice was that if we were still considering it it probably wasn't all that bad, and if we loved it to use it.

Our backup name was actually Clara, which sounds fab with our surname, but when she arrived I just knew that she was 'other name'. I'm really glad that we used it anyway, I'd have regretted it if we didn't.

FWIW I think that Clara Ranson falls into the same category as DD's name - not an absolutely brilliant combination but such a lovely first name that I would use it anyway - it is fine as a whole name. She will only use her first name the vast majority of the time anyway.

DramaAlpaca Mon 12-Jan-15 21:26:11

It's fine with your surname. Lovely name.

PrimalLass Mon 12-Jan-15 21:43:24

My DD is called Clara. It clashes a wee bit with her surname too, but it is still beautiful.

Bowlersarm Tue 13-Jan-15 06:24:08

I think it's fine. Not absolutely perfect, but not worth not using Clara if you love it.

JellyMould Tue 13-Jan-15 06:28:59

I don't like the combination, sorry.

BlueStarsAtNight Tue 13-Jan-15 07:52:45

Clara is lovely but I would be put off by the sound of them together I'm afraid, but the flow of names is really important to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now