Talk

Advanced search

Pronunciation of 'Eva'

(33 Posts)
Wigeon Sun 11-Jan-15 08:52:43

Would you pronounce it Eeeeva or Ava, or maybe expect people to ask? DD1 (6yrs) is Eva, our background is English. So we pronounce it Eeeeva. But over Christmas a couple of sets of people have got in a fluster about whether it's Eeeva or Ava (DH's aunt and uncle, in their 70s, and a new extra curricular teacher).

When we named her we thought it would be obvious she was Eeeva - I know people from Eastern Europe sometimes pronounce it Ava, but as that isn't our background then you'd just say Eeeva.

What do you think?

meandjulio Sun 11-Jan-15 08:55:08

I would always say Eeva. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I assumed that ds's name was literally impossible to pronounce more than one way, but it turns out there are two ways, and I only like one of them - I just have to grit my teeth.

Does your dd seem bothered? As she gets older I would think she would point out the correct pronunciation, hopefully politely grin

museumum Sun 11-Jan-15 08:59:13

I grew up with an Ewa pronounced Eva so id assume that unless I heard you say Ee-va first.

afreshstartplease Sun 11-Jan-15 09:00:53

Eeva

Maybe they're just confusing it because of avas popularity

marshmallowpies Sun 11-Jan-15 09:01:47

I knew an Ewa who was Polish & her name was not pronounced Eeva or Ava but more like Ever.

BikeRunSki Sun 11-Jan-15 09:02:52

I would say Eeeeva too.

shoopshoopsong Sun 11-Jan-15 09:05:40

Definitely eeeva. I would have thought it would be pronounced Ava if it was spelt Ava

Mrsteddyruxpin Sun 11-Jan-15 09:07:40

Eeeva

Definitely

burgatroyd Sun 11-Jan-15 09:08:46

Eeeeeva

HollyBdenum Sun 11-Jan-15 09:09:23

I would assume Ava.

TotleighTowers Sun 11-Jan-15 09:09:36

I am English and would probably pronounce it Ay-va, although I know one who pronounces it Evva (she is Polish but I don't know if Evva is the Polish pronunciation or an Anglicisation). I think the long 'ee' sound would be more common with Eve or Evie.

RipplesOnTheEventHorizon Sun 11-Jan-15 09:10:01

EEvie and EEve, but all the Evas I know, many different nationalities as it is a popular name everywhere, are pronounced like "Ev-er" EV-a (Ava for you?)

Jazzhandsrule Sun 11-Jan-15 09:11:10

Ee-va, not sure how you could mix it up with Ava? Smile sweetly and correct, correct, correct!

JessieMcJessie Sun 11-Jan-15 09:13:59

Spanish speakers pronounce it "Ava" too- Eva Peron, for example.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to ask if they see it written down before it is said, but what do you mean by saying they "got in a fluster"? Surely you just ask once and then pronounce as instructed?

Many names have alternative pronounciations- I would always ask someone who wrote "Sara" if it was "say-ra" or "sah-rah".

seaoflove Sun 11-Jan-15 09:14:46

I agree with marshmallow, the Polish pronunciation of Eva (usually spelled Ewa) is more like "ever" with a short E sound. The long E sound is the English version.

As for Ava, that's just a different name grin

JessieMcJessie Sun 11-Jan-15 09:18:42

Jazzhands you sound like you don't get out much if you have never come across Eva pronounced Ava before!

And the OP wouldn't be "correcting" people, because saying "Ava" is not wrong, objectively, it is just not the variation chosen by the OP. So she would be explaining, not correcting.

HollyBdenum Sun 11-Jan-15 09:19:41

Yep.

Eve is Eev
Evie is Eevie
Evelyn is either Eevelin or Evvelin

I would say Ehva for Eva. I had no idea that people would pronounce it Eeva, but that is probably because I don't know any English Evas.

BeeInYourBonnet Sun 11-Jan-15 09:21:47

I would say Eeva. But can see the issue with older generation. Eva Peron (probably the best know Eva?) Is pronounced 'Ava'.

Artandco Sun 11-Jan-15 09:24:44

I would say is like 'Ehva' rather than Eeeva

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 11-Jan-15 09:51:14

I would say Ee-va

But Ay-va appears common in some European countries - SPAIN and Germany for example.

In France it seems to sound different again, more like Eh-va.

HaplessHousewife Sun 11-Jan-15 09:56:39

I would say Ee-va but I know an Italian Eva that's Ava.

museumum Sun 11-Jan-15 10:00:27

I've only heard Ava pronounced Ay-va and can't see how that could be any pronunciation of Eva.

However, I think Eh-va is a more common pronunciation than Ee-va and I would use Eh-va for Eva Peron.

Wigeon Sun 11-Jan-15 10:49:20

Ah, thanks for replies. We have had Ever and Eh-va too. She's not too bothered and does politely correct people usually. Have just been surprised that it's even an issue! Fortunately not too big a deal atm!

sleepybee Sun 11-Jan-15 10:58:57

I would pronounce Eva as Ava & I do know a girl about 8 who is Eva pronounced Ava blush

Pandora37 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:03:30

I would pronounce it ee-va, especially if I knew you were from an English background. If you weren't, I'd probably ask how it was pronounced. I guess people are confused because of famous women like Eva Peron and Eva Braun (I would pronounce both of those as ay-va) and I can understand that from people in their 70s. Eva has only really become popular again recently so they've probably never known any Evas other than the famous ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now