Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Barnaby ??

(29 Posts)
samza10 Sat 10-Jan-15 19:02:37

Love it for a baby and little boy - don't know any adults with the name, and does Barny sound like a bear or a purple dinosaur? Have a one syllable surname so three for a first name could work - thoughts? Others we like are:

Archie
Rory
Albert

Bowlersarm Sat 10-Jan-15 19:03:45

As I only know one uber cool teen Barnaby nn Barny, I love it.

florascotia Sat 10-Jan-15 19:18:53

Rather prefer Barnabas, the original version. More dignified.

Sophronia Sat 10-Jan-15 19:34:56

I prefer Barnabas too.

MehsMum Sat 10-Jan-15 19:41:55

It can work on an adult. I know one. He's v nice.

shakemysilliesout Sat 10-Jan-15 20:19:31

My eurocamp rep was called barnaby

gildedlily Sat 10-Jan-15 21:07:55

I love Barnaby. I think it's one of those names that sound cute, cool and dignified depending on age.

BrightestAndBest Sat 10-Jan-15 21:13:42

I know two boys called Barnaby (aged 10 & 8). Neither gets called Barny - they are both always called Barnaby. I quite like it.

rockybalboa Sat 10-Jan-15 21:13:50

I have one. We have had nothing but lovely comments. We also have a Rory smile

rockybalboa Sat 10-Jan-15 21:14:35

Oh and mine (age 6) actively dislikes being called Barney. For the moment....

Slavetominidictator Sat 10-Jan-15 21:17:36

I absolutely love this name and am currently 29 wks pregnant and do not know the sex. It is my favourite boys' name ever. Unfortunately my dh has vetoed it because he has truly terrible taste in names.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 10-Jan-15 21:22:34

My dh vetoed barnaby/barnabus but could possibly be swayed for barney for some reason if we get a ds2.
I love all of them only every met an adult barnaby.

FatherSpodoKomodo Sat 10-Jan-15 22:06:50

I have a Barnaby (age 7) and he is Barney for short. Or I call him Bear. Only 1 person has ever mentioned the purple dinosaur.

I do actually prefer Barnabas, but his middle name and our surname begin with S and I thought it sounded a bit hissy all together. We sometimes call him Barnabas anyway!

And he's the only one in school, which I like!

upthewolves Sun 11-Jan-15 13:23:09

I know a v cool Barnaby in his 20s. He never gets called anything else ( and this is I'm Australia where people insist on shortening everything).

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 11-Jan-15 18:44:55

Love it. Don't like your other choices, sorry.

Naomip88 Sun 11-Jan-15 20:39:11

I like all of the names but archies are a bit ten a penny at the moment, barnaby is a lovely name and I love albert, especially if its shortened to bert or bertie

elQuintoConyo Sun 11-Jan-15 20:46:41

Love love love Barnaby, but DH vetoed it at the 11th hour sad he is now 3yo, it would TOTALLY suit him.

We are abroad and it would still be easy to spell and pronounce here. We don't know any.

am v jealous!

misseskimo Mon 12-Jan-15 13:02:21

I used to work with a Barnaby. He was in his early-30's (about 5yrs ago) and "very well educated" think harvard type studies and to look at him, would be like something from wall street... BUT he actually preferred being called Barney as although he was this well-educated and well-spoken bloke, he said it made him sound more approachable and less pompous to be called Barney... It did however get many snide comments from customers when asking for the Manager's name, and he would say Barney. So I have mixed opinions on it!

lebkuchenlover Mon 12-Jan-15 15:09:05

I like it!

pinkipanther Tue 13-Jan-15 10:24:38

Barnaby is SO much nicer and less overused than Archie or Albie imo.

PineappleLump Tue 13-Jan-15 20:50:10

Flipping LOVE Barnaby/Barney and had my DS2 not been a total Monty, we would have gone with that. Definitely do it!

guitarosauras Tue 13-Jan-15 20:52:50

I love it. I know a grown up Barnaby. He's known more as barney though.

samza10 Thu 15-Jan-15 09:55:27

Thanks all - great to hear all opinions - I know it is such a personal decision, but always interested in what other people think..and glad to know there are so many Barnaby fans out there :-)

Bobian123 Thu 15-Jan-15 17:06:07

Oh this is so nice to read...I have a 15 month old Barnaby but remember wobbling a bit after he was born (saw some negative comments towards it on mn!) Of course, not everyone's going to like it, but it's lovely to hear of others out there who love the name grin

ChaosK Thu 15-Jan-15 17:48:30

I've got a Barnaby - aka Barney. He is a teenager and knows no other Barneys. I love it - very good name for young and old and not too different!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: