Talk

Advanced search

Will a Glaswegian Kit get called Tit?!

(11 Posts)
GiganticTeacake Thu 08-Jan-15 00:26:57

We love this name but we are (proudly) from Glasgow and are worried that, knowing the Weegie sense of humour, we are potentially consigning our son to a lifetime of getting called Tit or other similarly lovely rhymes.

What do people think- especially any Scottish or Weegie Mumsnetters?!

Thanks!

duckwalk Thu 08-Jan-15 00:29:27

Would never have crossed my mind tbh, although I do admit I'm not overly keen on the name ... would just think 'very unusual name'. Sorry if I've offended flowers

noitsbecky Thu 08-Jan-15 00:31:25

DH is a 30 year old Scottish Kit - I've known him for 12 years, and I've never heard anyone call him Tit.

I call him Kitstopher though. He just about tolerates that.

noitsbecky Thu 08-Jan-15 00:33:21

I have called him Kitoris (as in clitoris) a few times too, come to think of it.

noitsbecky Thu 08-Jan-15 00:37:41

Oh and Kitten. They're all flooding back to me, there are loads actually!

CLJ52 Thu 08-Jan-15 00:43:27

Hmmm. Depends what part of Glasgow. Might be okay in Kelvinside or the "mearns but anywhere else it might just sound like a glottal stop.

My inlaws struggled with Katie -pronounced it K'eh. But they were from Hamilton...

I do think it's a nice name.

LoisWilkerson15 Thu 08-Jan-15 00:43:27

I like it op but I think your right to be worried. Sorry! Although nicknames can come from anywhere so if you love the name, use it. I'm near Glasgow and silly nicknames are rife among boys! Mostly in jest though.

mrscumberbatch Thu 08-Jan-15 00:51:35

I think in Glasgwegian the 'I' in Kit is very harsh. So either Khit or Khut.

Depending on whereabouts in Glasgow I suppose.

It is difficult. We had to abandon our original name choices after hearing my mum mangle them.

Deerhound Thu 08-Jan-15 08:09:19

He'll probably get called worse than tit whatever you name him grin

Seriously, children are very imaginative and will think up unflattering nicknames from anything if they want to. Kit seems like a pretty sensible name to me.

freerangeeggs Thu 08-Jan-15 19:50:01

I'm Glaswegian and I think he would definitely get called Tit/Kit the Tit at some point but it could be much worse. I'd still use the name.

I knew a Christopher nn Kit at school and he actually was a massive tit but sadly I never heard anyone call him that - missed opportunity

GiganticTeacake Thu 08-Jan-15 22:35:10

Thought I'd managed to post earlier but obviously technology defeated me...just to say thanks for the views. We have decided to go with Magnus instead, we just felt Kit might be a bit of an open goal and I realised my own glottal stop might be an issue! Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now