Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Marital harmony

(22 Posts)
roastpots Thu 08-Jan-15 00:13:24

OK we are really struggling to reach agreement on a name for DD2. DD1 is Alice May.

My shortlist: Imogen, Rose, Hannah, Rebecca, Harriet, Naomi, Cara
DH's shortlist: Jessica, Hazel, Rosie, Iona

Potential family mn: Josephine, Eleanor, Dove, Margaret

Any help with reconciling all of this into a nice name that we both agree on?! Or any other ideas of names that we might both like? I really like DD1's name, although I was almost put off because of the popularity of Alice. So I would prefer something a little less popular for DD2 if possible.

VanitasVanitatum Thu 08-Jan-15 00:19:59

Rose aka Rosie? Would seem to be your only area of agreement.

AuntieStella Thu 08-Jan-15 00:21:58

How about a 'Rose' name, which you can each shorten the way you prefer?

Rosa, Rosemary, Rosamund, Rosalie, Rosalind?

And I think any of your family middle names (with possible exception of Dove) would work.

acatcalledjohn Thu 08-Jan-15 00:22:06

Why not find a longer version of Rose/Rosie: Rosalee, Roseanne, Rosemary. A short Rosie might well develop to Rose later in life.

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 08-Jan-15 00:22:50

Rosemary?

acatcalledjohn Thu 08-Jan-15 00:23:41

Actually, I am with Auntie on the spelling of Rosalie.

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 08-Jan-15 00:24:20

What about Rachel or Romana?

roastpots Thu 08-Jan-15 00:26:44

Thanks for your replies. I've been trying to find a longer Rose name that might worked but I don't really like any of them. And the main thing that would put me off calling her Rose is that people might call her Rosie, which I find a bit cutesy. So it doesn't bode well that DH already prefers Rosie!

Deerhound Thu 08-Jan-15 07:59:22

I like Roslyn myself (like Roslyn chapel near Edinburgh whuch us beautiful).

Deerhound Thu 08-Jan-15 07:59:39

*which is

Annietheacrobat Thu 08-Jan-15 08:18:50

I like Marital but Harmony doesn't do it for mewink

Dailylurker Thu 08-Jan-15 08:25:39

My little girl is Rosie and she has never been called Rose as it's a separate name, I wouldn't think Rose would become a Rosie for the same reason.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 08-Jan-15 09:22:13

Eleanor?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 08-Jan-15 09:23:21

Ps I love Imogen and Harriet. Am trying to persuade DH on Imogen for DC2 but he isn't keen and we have a close relative called Harriet. He also likes more 'cutesy' names.

Rhubarbgarden Thu 08-Jan-15 10:03:49

Hazel Dove is wonderful. Love it.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 08-Jan-15 10:09:25

Ooh just saw you have eleanor as a middle name (really need to read more comprehensively).

Love:
Harriet / Naomi / Hazel

I'd go for:
Naomi Elinor
Hazel or Harriet Rebecca
Harriet Naomi

Don't like Josephine or Margaret much and hate Dove, sorry.

Love Alice May.

marshmallowpies Thu 08-Jan-15 18:39:21

Love Hazel - can't use it as plant/flower names don't work with our surname. Would avoid Rose names for the same reason but I do have a secret hankering for Rosalie (don't usually like names ending in 'or' but do like Rosalie for something!)

Josephine and Margaret were/are my grandmothers so I think both names are great!

roastpots Thu 08-Jan-15 20:04:15

Thanks everyone. The thing that puts me off Imogen is the shortening Immy. Do you think that's inevitable?

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 08-Jan-15 20:09:16

I know 2 Imogens and neither are shortened at all.

FraterculaArctica Thu 08-Jan-15 20:12:38

Perhaps not much help but I love your taste - I'm a Harriet (and like being one!) and Imogen is top of my shortlist if I ever have a DD! Think Eleanor is by far the nicest of your middle names (Ellie for a nn puts me off it for the first name). I like Jessica and Hazel of your DH's names too and don't think the two of you are too many poles apart in taste, compared to some I've seen on here!

BikeRunSki Thu 08-Jan-15 20:12:43

Iona Josephine would be lovely! Two of my favorite names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now