Talk

Advanced search

Annabel, Imogen, Ingrid or Alexandra

(25 Posts)
PontypineNumber9 Tue 06-Jan-15 17:33:14

We don't know if we're having a boy or girl but I have worried about girls names all the way through this pregnancy as DH and I have totally different tastes. We want something long-ish (short surname) and not too popular. The short list seems to be:
Annabel - I like this but is it too frilly?
Imogen - DH likes but I'm a bit 'meh' about it
Ingrid - I think this is my favourite although I know it's a bit of a marmite name
Alexandra - DH's favourite but I don't like any if the shortenings and it's too much of a mouthful on its own.
Any thoughts? Please be kind as this list is the result of a lot of compromising!

sammyj85 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:06:54

I really love alexandra or alexandria but agree with the shortening, she'd just become Alex.

I like imogen too.

marshmallowpies Tue 06-Jan-15 18:21:36

I like Ingrid a LOT (& Astrid too).

The others are all nice although personally Annabel is a bit 'Baby Annabel' (aka Tiny Tears) for me.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 06-Jan-15 18:21:49

Love love love Ingrid. Ds was going to be an Ingrid. Or possibly a Simone.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 06-Jan-15 18:25:04

Like them all! Imogen is my favourite, followed by Annabel.

Itsjustanopionion Tue 06-Jan-15 18:34:06

Defiantly ingrid! Love it!

Chatty987 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:50:31

Ingrid is very sophisticated IMO.

loislines Tue 06-Jan-15 20:24:08

Ingrid is lovely. Annabel and imogen are very popular here. Don't like Alexandra and not keen on any of the shortenings either.

elismom Tue 06-Jan-15 20:27:00

Imogen!

Seriouslyffs Tue 06-Jan-15 20:37:39

Sasha is also a diminutive for Alexandra.
Alex is a very nice name- easy to spell, short, recognisable and nicely neutral. smile

guineapig1 Tue 06-Jan-15 20:38:44

Imogen is my favourite. Also really like Ingrid.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 06-Jan-15 20:44:36

I really like Imogen but where I am (big city up North), it seems to be popular with chavvier families. I don't like any of the shortening a either.

Ingrid is lovely.

TheQuibbler Tue 06-Jan-15 20:52:56

I agree that Annabel is a bit frilly. I would choose Amabel. Similar but stronger, somehow and Mabel is a great nn.

Imogen is nice. Very popular in my neck of the woods if that sort of thing influences you.

Alexandra is lovely - I like Lexie and Sasha as nicknames (and Alessandra and Alexia are nice too).

PepperMallow Tue 06-Jan-15 21:24:21

Love Ingrid.

unclerory Tue 06-Jan-15 21:30:33

All sre good names so there would be no eye rolling at any of them here, but you know that already. Least keen on Annabel, don't mind Imogen but Alexandra is my grandmother's name and I love it and DD was almost called Ingrid but we didn't purely because she would have had exactly the same name (first name, surname) as an old school friend of mine which seemed a bit funny. What about Inga?

Sophronia Tue 06-Jan-15 21:51:09

I like Ingrid or Alexandra. Not keen on Imogen or Annabel.

demoska1 Tue 06-Jan-15 21:55:14

Definitely Alexandra.
Alex, Ally, Al, Sandy,
My alexandra will be 20 soon and people always comment on such a pretty and strong name.

roastpots Tue 06-Jan-15 23:28:53

I like Alexa as a shortening for Alexandra.

I like Imogen (considering it for our shortlist) but I don't like Immy as a shortening and I'm not quite sure what else it might be shortened to.

I'm less keen on Annabel - although I like Anna

marshmallowpies Tue 06-Jan-15 23:33:01

@roastpots I've heard of Imogens being called Imo, which is better than Immy I think, though both are a bit 'sloaney pony' for me, like girls called Felicity being called 'Flick' or 'Fliss' - I like the long name but not so keen on the nns!

PontypineNumber9 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:05:15

Thanks for all the responses. I'm surprised they're so positive! Especially for Ingrid but I'm pleased about that as its my favourite and by some miracle DH likes it too. Any ideas for middle names that go well? Our surname is very short so something long would be good.
I like the nickname Mimi for Imogen but don't really like the full name so I think that's bottom of the list for me.
Amabel is nice but wouldn't it constantly be mistaken for Annabel and need explaining?
Thanks again for all the feedback.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 07-Jan-15 08:31:03

Haha marsh I have a Felicity and want Imogen if DC2 is a girl, I'm not at all 'sloany pony' confused. Worried now that people will think I'm being pretentious!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 07-Jan-15 08:32:35

Ingrid Alice
Ingrid Elizabeth
Ingrid Penelope

I think as it ends in a consonant you have quite a large choice of middle name.

loislines Wed 07-Jan-15 09:00:04

We nearly had an Ingrid Rose. Still tempted if this one is a girl...

marshmallowpies Wed 07-Jan-15 09:55:32

GotTo I do think they're both lovely names, it's just the nicknames that make me think of Made in Chelsea types! If you really love a name that's not a big enough reason to put you off, just a silly thing. My DD's name has all sorts of silly nn she could be given and it didn't put me off using it!

Rhubarbgarden Wed 07-Jan-15 10:58:24

Ingrid Annaliese

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now