Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Xander

(27 Posts)
Choccyhobnob Mon 05-Jan-15 12:52:03

Just Xander, not Alexander. What is the general consensus? Also does your opinion change if it was to be used as a middle name instead of a first name?

perfectlybroken Mon 05-Jan-15 12:53:44

oh, did you get the idea from the matched books?
I think I like it, and who else will have the first initial 'X'??

bahfinghumbug Mon 05-Jan-15 12:54:35

My Ds is called this albeit a different spelling , never had any negative comments etc

Notso Mon 05-Jan-15 13:01:05

I know one, he is 5 and very cute. It's great as a middle name too although not if first and surname initial are both O!

squoosh Mon 05-Jan-15 13:04:15

Don't like it at all.

I picture a Xander to wear an ankle length black leather coat, gelled back pony tail and a fondness for torrid online affairs with fellow Dungeons and Dragons gamers.

Choccyhobnob Mon 05-Jan-15 13:06:31

NoI haven't heard of the matched books? Alexander is a family name but DH doesn't like 'Alex' but does like Xander. Also our surname begins with a Q and those are some pretty cool initials grin

All just talk at the minute though as a distant fb friend named their son that at the weekend and sparked the conversation as we are ttc.

Bowlersarm Mon 05-Jan-15 13:07:49

I do like it. We considered Xander short for Alexander for DS1 but didn't go with it just in case he got called Alex which I don't like; but I prefer using the full name version.

I like the X spelling, but not quite sure whether it sounds like a proper name or not.

I'm undecided OP! <helpful>

Choccyhobnob Mon 05-Jan-15 13:07:55

Haha Squoosh I thought people would say posh and pretentious not weird gamer!

DropYourSword Mon 05-Jan-15 13:13:53

I really like it.

Also wondering what's wrong with Squooshs long haired leather coat wearing D&D fan?! grin

AuntieStella Mon 05-Jan-15 13:15:54

I know one who is Alexander in full but invariably uses Xander, and one that is just Xander.

I think it's a great name. But don't call any future siblings Richard.

o0 Mon 05-Jan-15 13:22:34

I have an Alexander who I sometimes call Xander. He thinks it's a cool name. grin

Deerhound Mon 05-Jan-15 13:42:20

It makes me think of Buffy! I know one Xander, aged about 8. Personally I'm not that keen and would only really like it as a mn, but having said that the initials XQ would be ace!

MyballsareSandy Mon 05-Jan-15 13:46:39

Love it, I know a 14 year old Xander. Great name.

Angelto5 Mon 05-Jan-15 13:54:10

I have one & he's 8.
Great name. He's very popular because of his unusual name & a bit of a character.

If it was a first name what middle names do you have in mind op?

RiverTam Mon 05-Jan-15 13:56:30

I'm not too keen. I prefer Sasha as a short for Alexander, tbh.

SirChenjin Mon 05-Jan-15 13:58:42

I don't like Xander at all - it's one of those twee names you hear called in the West End of Glasgow in a slightly fey accent (which is a meaningless reference point for anyone outwith the Central Belt, I grant you grin).

Butterpuff Mon 05-Jan-15 14:13:04

One of the Scooby gang in Buffy. So I think of it as an American name, for a guy with a lovely character.

missnevermind Mon 05-Jan-15 14:16:31

Myballsaresandy.
I have a 14yo called Xander.
Do I know you hmm

HumpsLumps Mon 05-Jan-15 14:16:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 05-Jan-15 14:58:50

I know several (in Scotland) so not that unusual to me though a few of them are Zander - I quite like Sandy instead.

Keptmanskeeper Mon 05-Jan-15 15:04:57

Ooh - yes. I have a son with a name starting with X and it's rather nice, I think! I don't think it needs to be short for Alexander, though normally I'm not a fan of names that are shortened versions of longer names (e.g. named Artie instead of Arthur). In this case, I think Xander is valid in its own right.

Sandy short for Alexander? Don't like that - used to have a misogynistic headmaster who went by Sandy.hmm

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 05-Jan-15 15:57:42

Alec or Sandy are the normal shortenings for Alexander - Alistair and all it's varieties also come from Alexander.

Marcipex Mon 05-Jan-15 16:04:41

Xander is a cool name. Surfer dude,

SirChenjin Mon 05-Jan-15 16:10:01

Humps - exactly that grin

CocktailSausage Mon 05-Jan-15 16:24:49

I have an Alexander shortened to Lex.

I once witnessed a woman getting snippy in HV clinic for calling her infant son Alexander when it was Xander. I just sat there bemused.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: