Talk

Advanced search

Nicknames for Harrison?

(39 Posts)
fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 22:43:50

We like this name and have sentimental reasons for being set on it.

however a relative lost a child who was named Harry. We don't want to steal this name in case it is wanted by others in the future who were closer relatives to him. (this isn't our sentimental reason for wanting to use the name Harrison, we actually didn't realise, duh! until wondering what we might nickname 'Harrison' after having our hearts set on it and referring to the baby as Harrison.)

Any ideas what we could use as a nickname? DH just informed me that Harris is a euphamism...??? I thought we could have gone with that.

Deerhound Sun 04-Jan-15 22:51:47

I have never heard the euphemism "Harris" hmm

Could also use Sonny

MiniTheMinx Sun 04-Jan-15 22:54:43

Harry

MiniTheMinx Sun 04-Jan-15 22:55:21

Oh sorry, not Harry, erm don't know then

itsnotjustastick Sun 04-Jan-15 22:55:42

H

but in reality you can chose a nickname and have it used if thats what you decide to call him.

for example...theodore and teddy.

dont naturally roll off your tongue but are accptable nicknames

fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 22:56:09

Yes apparently DH doesn't like sonny confused

Are there DC's out there that anyone knows called Harris? it just seems like the more obvious choice without family feeling we've stolen a name

or is it even possible to name your kid one thing and use a completely different name as a nickname? say "sammy" for example? when his name is Harrison, or will that just never ever stick with anyone?

fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 22:57:25

kinda cross posted with you there over using a totally different nickname, sorry itsnotjustastick

fishfingerSarnies Sun 04-Jan-15 23:01:36

Hal?

WorldWildWifeFund Sun 04-Jan-15 23:02:39

Harley

fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 23:05:37

oh I can see it, we are just the worlds most awkward couple.

I feel like Hal is an old mans name. And we have a Harley next door so that feels awkward.

Maybe we will have to call him something else after all and use Harrison as the nickname for that? though there's nothing bloody longer than Harrison is there?

TongueBiter Sun 04-Jan-15 23:05:50

"Aitch"
Haribo -> Beau

fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 23:08:26

Haribo was previously used for my relative so that's off limits too really.

H as in aitch (didn't realise that upthread sorry to the pp) is kinda cute.. will see if DH manages not to veto it right away...

Deerhound Sun 04-Jan-15 23:17:52

Harris seems totally fine to me. I think it's quite popular in Scotland.

fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 23:19:50

would henry be totally odd as a nickname for harrison?

or would it be even odder that I already know (though not well, only as a fb acquaintance from my schooldays who I guess I could delete without either of being too bothered) who has a Henry as a younger brother to his older child which shares the same slightly unusual (though increasingly more common) name as our bigger son?

mummyinlove Sun 04-Jan-15 23:21:59

Why do you need a nickname, why not just call him Harrison?
It's a fab name, we have a Harrison and I thought I would shorten it to Harris but instead call him Harrison Barrison (no idea why). His brother calls his Haz and dp calls him Aitch.

fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 23:22:20

oh dear. I cant see it pleasing my rather "proud to be welsh" grandmother if it's a popular scottish name.

Mind you, she did eventually recover from pfb's name

Was my DH just imagining it as a euphamism? He's rather "cockney" and I still haven't got a clue after 5 years of marriage about the various sayings he will come out with

fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 23:24:29

ooh I like Haz too. in my position would you have felt the need to tell relatives that he was "Harrison" not Harry at the start when you used it or did people just not assume Harry was the nickname anyhow?

mummyinlove Sun 04-Jan-15 23:36:14

It's a while ago now but I don't think anyone assumed he'd be a Harry. A few people did ask but because I didn't call him Harry no one did.

steppeupunderthemisletoe Sun 04-Jan-15 23:40:32

I know a couple of Harrisons and they are called Harrison, no nickname. Can't you just call him Harrison?

payuktaxrichardbranson Sun 04-Jan-15 23:42:51

your dh is probably thinking that Harris sounds a bit like arris which was another (polite) way to say arse.

marshmallowpies Sun 04-Jan-15 23:43:47

I think the euphemism is a bit cockney/geezer talk - if you say 'Arris without the H it sounds a bit like 'arse'. I've heard Russell Brand use it! (Sorry!)

I think Harrison is a great name though - Hal would be my choice of nn though, as Hal to me is Prince Hal from Henry IV (Shakespeare) who is a loveable scoundrel till he grows up to be heroic Henry V! To me he's a bit of a romantic tearaway figure.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 04-Jan-15 23:50:15

Harris/Arris is definitely a euphemism for arse in East London. Probably fine elsewhere.

I don't really understand why you need a nickname though. You like the name Harrison so why not just call him Harrison? It seems the obvious choice as that's the name you both like....confused

No doubt he'll develop a nickname that suits him over time, which may or may not have anything to do with his name.

fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 23:54:52

thanks, this is all very helpful.

yes its very true that he probably will develop a nn over time, I guess we just want to try not to offend from the outset if that's possible with family...

as it was a tragic death at a young age, I feel we would be cruel not to start out with something that was very different rather than leave relatives calling him Harry by assumption but feeling upset over it...

fishesfordishes Sun 04-Jan-15 23:55:47

I also kind of want to see if there's a way to avoid a "he's not going to be called harry" talk... as don't want to offend that way either.

badtime Sun 04-Jan-15 23:57:04

Aris(totle)=> bottle (and glass)=> arse is the rhyming slang, so it's not Harris, it's aris.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now