Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just how popular is Theodore?

(12 Posts)
avocadotoast Sat 03-Jan-15 21:08:15

We're expecting our first child in May and have our girl name sorted (thinking of Molly, unsure of a middle name), but flummoxed on a boy name.

DH just suggested Theodore, which I do like, but just concerned it might be a little popular at the moment.

For those of you in the know (because I really don't know any boy babies!), how popular is it?

I'm also wondering if it goes with our surname (double barrelled, first word starts with T, so could be a bit of a gobful), but that's another issue!

WishUponAStar88 Sat 03-Jan-15 21:10:17

I have met a fair few baby Theos, none were Theodores that I know of though.

loislines Sat 03-Jan-15 21:43:53

Theo was number 41 and Theodore number 78 in 2013 according to the ONS. So fairly popular, but then so is Molly, I think. Both lovely names.

avocadotoast Sat 03-Jan-15 21:55:07

I know I did some maths and even the #1 boys name is usually only given to 2% of boys... I think once you get to #30ish it drops to something like 0.5%. So realistically even the most popular names aren't super popular, you just never know!

NorbertDentressangle Sat 03-Jan-15 22:00:11

I only know of one Theo (10yo), but no Theodores.

I'm quite surprised that it's so high in the popular names list, not because I don't like the name because I do (in fact we considered it for DS) but just because I've not really come across it.

crispycookie Sat 03-Jan-15 22:03:39

I have a Theodore. smile He is mostly called Theo but he knows his name is Theodore. I think it's adorable. I have met other Theos but not Theodore! He is a very sensitive boy who loves his mummy and is five going on 35!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Sat 03-Jan-15 22:11:47

Very. Depends where you are though.

totiredtosleep Sat 03-Jan-15 22:16:33

I live in the southwest (uk) and know 2 Theodores, both under 2 yrs old. One is nn Theo, the other is nn Teddy.

shoobidoo Sat 03-Jan-15 22:39:25

We know lots of Theos under 10. Some of them are possibly Theodore. So yes, fairly trendy.

Sprink Mon 05-Jan-15 08:03:16

Blame Theo Walcott.

itssangriaoclock Mon 05-Jan-15 20:15:14

I have a theo, born 2013. Haven't met another one since. Dispute being 49th according to bounty that year. There seem to be more Leo's

avocadotoast Mon 05-Jan-15 21:21:22

Thanks all. Something to be thinking about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now