Talk

Advanced search

Anyone genuinely not been able to find a name for their child so had to "make do" ?

(24 Posts)
Mammanat222 Sat 03-Jan-15 18:49:44

Sorry for another thread, just curious really.

We were lucky with DS and I love our girls name for baby due in a few weeks but OH isn't massively convinced.

This got me thinking, we were team yellow with DS and never agreed a girls name back then. We had a few but would have been 'settling'

Is it common to have to do this? [Make do with an OK name as opposed to a name you love?]

loislines Sat 03-Jan-15 19:04:38

We're expecting number 3 and have a girl and a boy already. We've found names really hard this time as we used our favourites on the other two. DD would have had DS's name if she had been a boy and we never settled in a girl's name for DS so thankfully he was a boy!

That said, I think the name becomes the child so we'll end up loving the name we give DC3 just as much as the first two because we'll love the child.

avocadotoast Sat 03-Jan-15 19:11:29

I'm worried about this. We had our 20 week scan earlier in the week and chose not to find out what we're having, but I feel like it's a boy, and neither DH or I like any boy names! I'm hoping we get struck with inspiration nearer the time... Or that it's a girl, because our girl name is perfect!

turdfairynomore Sat 03-Jan-15 19:11:31

Yep. That was us! We used our girls name and then our boys name-thankfully our 2nd was a boy as we genuinely had no girls names that time! I sort of liked some, DH sort of liked some but anything each of us really liked, the other hated! (I loved angharad-still do! He loved saskia-and wanted suki as a nickname!) so had DS been dd2 then she would have had an "it'll do" name!! Caoimhe was in the list but DH couldn't reliably spell it!! And felicity -but dd1 has a name beginning with F.

babyblabber Sat 03-Jan-15 20:08:40

Think I'm about to!

We have a DS who's name I absolutely adore and a DD who's name was always going to be Sophie since I was a kid myself. It was super popular for years on end (in Ireland) when she was born so we called her Sophia (which isn't half as popular here) and now I love it even more than sophie.

DD2 is arriving in 3 weeks and I have been trying for 8 months to find a name for her that is girly, as pretty as Sophia, not too common etc and I just can't. At least not one I can get DH to agree to! Am on baby name websites and forums about 5 times a day!!! So it looks like she will be called Chloe. It's also a name I've loved since I was young but again, has been very popular for many years which has taken some of the sheen off it. I have a very common name myself, 2/3 everywhere I go and want to avoid that for my kids. But there's no adding an "A" this time to make it more interesting!

I do love it but feel I'm letting her down a bit as compromising whereas I had no doubts with the other two.

loislines Sat 03-Jan-15 20:14:54

Chloe is lovely and just as good as Sophia!

babyblabber Sat 03-Jan-15 20:18:47

Thanks loislines!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sat 03-Jan-15 20:42:44

I think we're about to be in this position. DD is Felicity and I absolutely adore it, not a 'common' name but not too unusual or made up, pretty and has a lovely meaning.
DH and I agreed on it straight away. Currently 14 weeks pregnant with DC2 and if it's another girl I think we're really going to struggle. So far we can't agree on anything but to be honest I'm only 'meh' about the ones I've suggested.

PontypineNumber9 Sat 03-Jan-15 20:57:24

We are in this position. Sorted for boys' names but if its a girl she will definitely have a compromise name.
We were the same with DD though - we have completely different taste in girls names and had to choose one we could both live with. She's 2 now and I love it and can't imagine her being anything else. I'm hoping it will be the same this time if we have another girl. Very quickly you can't separate the child from the name so I firmly believe whatever you choose you will end up loving.

Mrsgrumble Sat 03-Jan-15 21:00:08

Would Olivia or Elsie be an option

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 03-Jan-15 22:02:09

I was a single mum having d.d do it was only my choice. She's called Molly after Molly in ghost. My mum took me to see it when I was 15 I did even particularly like the film but I fell in love with the name and stuck with it. She coincidentally had her name wriiten all over her face.
I don't neven like the name now, but it suits her though

SmallBee Sat 03-Jan-15 22:05:47

What's team yellow?

SmallBee Sat 03-Jan-15 22:06:15

What's team yellow?

Fcukfifa Sat 03-Jan-15 22:08:57

Yep, I'm not too keen on my youngest ds's name.
We registered him the day before the 6 weeks was up and even as we walked in was still deciding.

There wasn't one that I loved but he suits his name now

HaveTeaWillSurvive Sat 03-Jan-15 22:10:19

Yep, still a bit hmm about DS name if I think about it but it was the only one we came close to agreeing on and there are many nicknames for it so we use a babyish one now but can change if he prefers something more grown up when he's older.

Don't really think about it now though - it's just his name.

StetsonsAreCool Sat 03-Jan-15 22:12:38

I fear I've just done this with DS. We had Gabriel or Hamish as our options - one was my favourite, the other DH's. When he was born neither of them fitted. So we spent a day trying names on him and he seemed to be a George.

It's not a name I love. It's perfectly nice - just a bit, well, meh. And it's really popular. But it suits him. I just don't get the same feeling that I do about DD's name - even now she's 4.7 and I should be used to it smile

ArchangelGallic Sat 03-Jan-15 22:17:02

Suspect soon to be born DS will have a make do name. We had a girl name sorted (Seren) but the 5 or 6 boy names we like, don't jump out as The One.

LizzieMint Sat 03-Jan-15 22:22:32

We were, for our youngest. Already had a boy and a girl so had used our favourites. We didn't find out what we were having so once she'd arrived, we spent the first week trying to pick a name. We decided on one and told DD1, who misheard and thought we'd said another name. The sudden realisation that she'd likely spend all her time correcting people mishearing put us off completely, so we had a rethink and came up with her name. But for years I wished we'd used the original one. She's 4 now and suits her name perfectly and I love it, but it took a long time to get there.

cigarsofthepharaoh Sun 04-Jan-15 00:21:08

We argued so much over names, it was ridiculous. DP likes names in the top 10 with no nickname potential, I like very unusual names. My own name has on average one baby a year named it; DP's is in the top 10 for her birth year.

We had so many bust ups over names - she slept on the sofa more than one night over it blush. So eventually we picked compromise names - neither of us love the DCs' names but we like them both, so it'll have to do. They both suit their names though, which definitely helps.

AggressiveBunting Sun 04-Jan-15 00:28:05

I wasn't wowed out by either of my DC names- I just don't get that excited about names in general if I'm honest- plenty of people called John have gone on to be interesting and fulfilled people. Plus DH and I had few preferred names in common and I'm pretty fickle- none of the shortlist for DC1 made the shortlist for DC2 only 18 mths later. I like both their names now, but mainly because they're their names rather than because I like the sound or look of the word.

We compromised on both, because we had quite different taste in girls' names. It's what you do, surely?

lecherslady Sun 04-Jan-15 01:27:41

DD1s name was chosen over a year before I even got pregnant. DH and I both loved the name.

With DD2, there was another name we both liked, but that didn't go with our surname. After that, there were no names that DH and I both loved, so we ended up with a compromise name.

Now, DD1 doesn't use her full name, which is okay but not my favourite and DD2 uses a shortening (her choice, not mine) that I do really like. So DD2s compromise name has ended up being the one I prefer.

Orangeisthenewbanana Mon 05-Jan-15 20:15:35

We absolutely loved our girl's name and were so pleased we got to use it with DD. I liked our boy's name, but it didn't have the same wow factor for either of us. We just liked it better than anything else we thought of.

We're totally screwed next time as I can't think of any girls names I love as much as DD's, and a close family member has since used the boy's name we had!

cheapandcheerful Tue 20-Jan-15 15:20:23

Some friends of mine 'made do' with a name that they knew wasn't right and then changed it once they had found 'the one'. Baby was 8mo by then but it wasn't a problem. Everyone just started calling him the new name.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: