Talk

Advanced search

Etienne....for a girl?

(110 Posts)
Mammammio Fri 02-Jan-15 20:04:22

Is this a massive no no? I know it's 'Stephen' in French, we are not french and live in the UK but we both love this name and prefer for a girl. Would you assume this was a boy if you heard it? She would go by Etti as a nickname and be called that the majority of the time but I think that the full version is lovely.

I know a little girl called Elliotte and another called Dylan and no one seems too fussed but wondered what people think?

katandkits Fri 02-Jan-15 20:08:47

It is a boys name. I would think it a bit silly to be honest, as i would if you called your daughter Stephen or Mark or Jason. In my opinion it is not a unisex name. Perhaps you might like Fabienne if you like French names, it is the feminine form of Fabien.

bouncingbelle Fri 02-Jan-15 20:09:43

I,ve always loved the sound of Etienne and think it would make a lovely girls name!

MarchEliza Fri 02-Jan-15 20:11:11

I think it's very pretty actually. I wasn't aware about the Stephen connection though.

piggychops Fri 02-Jan-15 20:11:22

Boys name- sorry...

LordJabuJabu Fri 02-Jan-15 20:11:48

I would assume you were a football fan.

Chalalala Fri 02-Jan-15 20:12:22

Nope. Boy name. Definitely. (Ok I am French, so maybe biased, but still)

Mammammio Fri 02-Jan-15 20:12:59

What's the football connection? I don't think I know that?

DancingCrown Fri 02-Jan-15 20:13:23

I think it's a lovely name.

Thing is you might live in the UK but dd might travel. Lots of people will presume she is a boy/man before meeting her, could be a pain at work etc?

camtt Fri 02-Jan-15 20:14:46

I think it does sound more feminine than masculine to English speakers, however I would say a significant proportion of the population understand enough French to know it is Stephen in French - and will assume that you do not know this.

VerucaInTheNutRoom Fri 02-Jan-15 20:14:55

Could you change one letter and use Ettianne instead?

LillyEvans Fri 02-Jan-15 20:16:24

I'd probably think the parents had made a mistake if I met a female Etienne. Sorry!

zoemaguire Fri 02-Jan-15 20:16:38

Etienne is definitely a boys name, not even a slight ambiguity there, though again I am french. For me it would be like calling your daughter James or William!

loiner45 Fri 02-Jan-15 20:19:26

def a boy's name and well known as such, even over here I think. It would be an odd thing to do IMO

Sundayplease Fri 02-Jan-15 20:20:44

I know it's a boy's name but it sounds nice enough to be a girl's name too. Don't like the nickname Etti though.

Mammammio Fri 02-Jan-15 20:22:51

Hmmm Ettiane is an option, what do people think of this? And I've also found Ettiena which I believe is female but I do f really like it some much? Any thoughts or other suggestions.

I like Fabienne but it doesn't work with our surname unfortunately.

TaperJeanGirl Fri 02-Jan-15 20:23:02

I love it, but then I have a daughter named Abel so I am the wrong person to comment, if you like it, use it! ( Ettie is very similar to one of my other girls names too, so I also love your choice of nicknamesmile

MehsMum Fri 02-Jan-15 20:23:54

It would be very odd and if she ever ends up in France, on holiday/school exchange/ for work it could cause a lot of confusion.

So no.

RiverTam Fri 02-Jan-15 20:25:48

I think it's fine and actually quite pretty. Etti is a nice short. Had no idea about the Stephen thing. I'm sure it would be mad if you were actually French or in France, but you're not.

To me it falls into the Rowan catagory, sound-wise - not gender-specific.

KingJarethsBulge Fri 02-Jan-15 20:27:36

I've never heard if it. How do you pronounce it?

velourvoyageur Fri 02-Jan-15 20:28:09

I was just saying this to someone the other day! And they started tutting and saying oh don't be silly. But I think it's a great name, quite pretty and classic.

It will obviously also be a girl's name because it will be a girl sporting it on her birth certificate won't it (unless she isn't cisgender of course).

Abel is very cute too smile

RiverTam Fri 02-Jan-15 20:29:09

Eh-tee-en.

velourvoyageur Fri 02-Jan-15 20:30:13

Also I went through school with no one ever having the same name as me, it was judged slightly "exotic" in my northern comps and it didn't do me any harm....who care if you confuse people a bit.

netty7070 Fri 02-Jan-15 20:30:14

There are plenty of names that are genuinely unisex (or indeed, feminine) to negate the need to give your daughter a boy's name.

NickiFury Fri 02-Jan-15 20:30:23

I think it's lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now