Talk

Advanced search

Ottie or Pixie?

(154 Posts)
GingerbreadPudding Fri 02-Jan-15 15:41:15

Our little girl will be here in two weeks time and we were set on the name Ottie. Yesterday my husband said he likes the name Pixie which had been my favourite but he had said he didn't like it!

So now, after eight months of thinking this one would be called Ottie I'm now not sure. I love the name Pixie. And Ottie.

What do you think?

Fanfeckintastic Fri 02-Jan-15 15:43:16

Oh I love Pixie! It was top of my list but DP was having none of it!

MuttonCadet Fri 02-Jan-15 15:44:54

Couldn't Pixie be a NN?

Coconutty Fri 02-Jan-15 15:50:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GingerbreadPudding Fri 02-Jan-15 15:52:48

Ottie can be short for ottilie but we would have it as ottie.

BMO Fri 02-Jan-15 15:53:34

Bear in mind that you are naming an adult as well as a little baby.

GingerbreadPudding Fri 02-Jan-15 15:56:40

Yes BMO. I had hoped she'd live past infancy.

NadiaWadia Fri 02-Jan-15 15:59:11

What BMO said. It's cute on a baby, but don't you want her to be taken seriously when she's 40? Why not go for Otillie , and just call her Ottie for short? Otillie is a recognised name and IMO prettier anyway.

AuntieStella Fri 02-Jan-15 16:02:57

Of these two, I would go for Pixie.

Because Ottie, if you are ever in an area where aitches are dropped, will sound exactly the same as Hottie and I think that would be difficult to live with as actual entire name (if nn it could easily change to fit her preferences idc).

GingerbreadPudding Fri 02-Jan-15 16:07:20

Husband doesn't like the name Ottilie. He says he thinks it sounds like a boys name because of the ending, that's why we've thought about ottie. I hadn't thought of it sounding like 'hottie'.

I'm not at all worried about how it will sound when she's older. I'm a teacher and about 50% of children now have very unusual names so by the time our little one is older the concept of 'normal' names will be properly out of the window!

It's interesting to read what you all think. Keep it coming!

Inkspellme Fri 02-Jan-15 16:08:37

Pixie suits someone who is petite but seems frankly silly on a very tall or larger stature woman.

Both are cute child names but would require a very confident self assured adult to carry them off. Perhaps giving your child the option of a less unusual name would give them a choice at adulthood whether to carry on or change? so maybe the full version of Ottie would be good on a birth cert but called Ottie until they choose not too.

AlleyCat11 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:22:36

Otter. Sorry!
Pixie is nice.

GingerbreadPudding Fri 02-Jan-15 16:22:56

I'm not really, at all, asking anything other than what preference between ottie and pixie. I like them as they are.

SirChenjin Fri 02-Jan-15 16:30:21

I would think you were a huge fan of Pixie Lott or Embarassing Bodies, and Ottie sounds like Hottie as has already been said.

Which is my way of saying I have no preference and like neither.

GingerbreadPudding Fri 02-Jan-15 16:35:51

Fair enough. I have liked pixie since I was little name named my first pet pixie. I was a bit miffed when pixie geldof and then pixie Lott came along.

ELR Fri 02-Jan-15 16:37:22

Pixie is cute but I prefer Ottie.

AbbyCadabby Fri 02-Jan-15 16:37:28

I love Pixie. And Nixie. (Latter means water sprite.

I knew a Patrixia, nn Pixie. I personally do prefer a name with options.

Bartlebee Fri 02-Jan-15 16:39:10

I know 2 little Ottilles; I love the name.

Ottie is a cute nn, but I'd be inclined to give her a 'proper' name to shorten.

Can't abide Pixie I'm afraid.

burgatroyd Fri 02-Jan-15 16:40:08

Ottie is grim! What's there to like? Genuinely confused and I like all sorts of contentious names!

How about Ottiline or Otilia?

Pixie is OK but a bit sleb.

How about Dixie?

Other names you might like... Hettie, Hattie, Tallulah, Betsy, Elfine and have Elfie or Effie as nn, Queenie, Lainey, Winnie, Tiggy.

burgatroyd Fri 02-Jan-15 16:41:28

Beatrix, Trixie

BMO Fri 02-Jan-15 16:43:44

Pixie is nicer than Ottie, but if she is a stocky, awkward child it might verge on cruel.

Bert2e Fri 02-Jan-15 16:44:08

Neither are great business card names - far to cutsie for a grown woman I'm afraid and likely to be used to make snap decsions about your daughter without looking at her merits properly I'm afraid :-(

Viviennemary Fri 02-Jan-15 16:45:30

Both of them sound much too like nicknames. I quite like them but wouldn't think they were names.

Pandora452 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:47:13

Pixie Lott is a nicknamed Pixie

ThePrincessWhoSatOnTheSprout Fri 02-Jan-15 16:52:54

I love Ottilie! Though don't like it shortened.

I also love Pixie... but it reminds me of the cartoon mice Pixie & Dixie...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now