Talk

Advanced search

Fighting over baby names.

(37 Posts)
Kelko Tue 23-Dec-14 14:35:44

I'm changing my baby daughter's name for personal reasons. I had a list of around 4 names and asked her dad's opinion, but he dislikes them and won't really compromise. He wants her to be called Erin, which I don't particularly like and doesn't sound right with my elder daughters' names. A couple of days ago, he suggested Francesca, which isn't a favourite of mine but I was willing to go with as a compromise. Then he decided (again), she'd definitely suit Erin much more.

I don't know whether to just go with what I'm happy with and what would suit her, or just go around in circles with him and pull my hair out. confused

loislines Tue 23-Dec-14 15:21:35

I don't think it matters too much if it goes with your other daughters' names but I would try to find a compromise that you and baby's dad are happy with. Francesca has more nickname choices than Erin so could work for you both. If you really don't like Erin I'd just tell him that and ask him for other suggestions. Could you use Erin as a middle name? Or what about something similar like Esme, Elsie, Ellie, Ellen?

Congratulations on your little girl!

IsabellaRoarsome Tue 23-Dec-14 15:33:09

Congratulations! As above poster says Francesca has more nn choices (Frankie, chessie, Fran etc..) so would prob be better compromise then Erin. But! If you don't like either name and aren't really happy with them then don't give in! He won't why should you? If he likes Francesca would he like other Mediterranean sounding names? (Cosima, Aurelia, Isabelle/a, Paloma?) or other Irish names like Erin ( Cora, Aoife... Loads more I just can't think of any!) hope you settle on a name you both like soon smile

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 09:45:00

Thanks! Sorry I couldn't respond yesterday, it's been like a madhouse here!

I really don't like Erin. My daughter and 2 nieces all have reasonably similar sounding names. I think her dad knows I don't like it and just being awkward. 3 of my suggestions are Mediterranean sounding and unusual. My other suggestion was a name that's a little more mainstream, but he didn't like that either.

Her middle name is Grace. My eldest chose it, so it's important that it stays. grin

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 09:46:48

*reply to your responses yesterday blush

YouCanDoItNow Wed 24-Dec-14 09:50:18

Erin is a soup to me. A packet soup.

You arent married? You are pushing this baby out? He doesnt get to choose.

Whatis your first choice?
Will baby have your sur name?

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 09:52:25

Also, my elder 2 have 3 syllable names. Of course my girls need their individuality, but it's nice to have a similar 'flow', I suppose.

(where's the edit function when you need it?! blush)

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 09:57:41

I'm not married, no. I've already pushed her out!

There isn't a first choice as such, but my choices were Aglaia, Amara, Athene or Gracelynn. I like Athena, but that doesn't work well with DD2's name!

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 09:58:58

She will have my surname smile

Deerhound Wed 24-Dec-14 10:12:19

Would you consider Grace as a first name? I know it's shorter than your other children's names but it's beautiful and it's lovely that her sister chose it

Deerhound Wed 24-Dec-14 10:15:57

Also, as youcandoitnow said - you did the pushing, you get to chose!

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 10:17:31

Grace is a very nice name, but just too common. I wouldn't like my daughter to have 5 other children in her class with the same name, when she goes to school.

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 10:29:34

I was considering Grazia, but perhaps that's a little tacky due to the Italian magazine.

YouCanDoItNow Wed 24-Dec-14 10:31:38

Graziela?
Gabriella? Tres monagusque!

Deerhound Wed 24-Dec-14 10:31:56

Fair enough. Gracelynn is also pretty and close enough to what her sister chose. Has he given a reason for not liking it or is he just being an arse?

YouCanDoItNow Wed 24-Dec-14 10:33:19

Althea or Alethea

Artandco Wed 24-Dec-14 10:34:13

leonora
Giselle
Erica

YouCanDoItNow Wed 24-Dec-14 10:34:25

Sadie is a bit like Gracie but fewer of them

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 10:35:45

I like Graziela, but I'm thinking it sounds a little bit as if I'm trying too hard to give her an unusual name, iyswim.

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 10:43:29

Deerhound - I think he is just being an arse. He wants her to be called Erin and he isn't prepared to agree to her being called anything else. He hasn't came up with any rational responses to why he even wants her to be called that name. He has no Irish roots and he doesn't know/ hasn't known anyone with it!

I like Althea, that's really nice.

Deerhound Wed 24-Dec-14 11:02:06

In that case I think you should just tell him calmly and firmly that Erin isn't happening. He can help you chose a different name or otherwise you will chose one by yourself. Would you consider Erin as a mn? Gracelynn Erin or Althea Erin Grace? N. B. If you don't even like it as a mn then tell him so! Gracelynn Francesca is also nice imo

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 11:39:52

I've let him know that Erin isn't happening, to which he tells me to name her what I like as I'm not involving him! I would only consider Erin as a middle name if Grace was used in her first name somewhere, but to be honest, I find Erin doesn't sound right with other names. My eldest daughter's involvement means a lot more to me than baby's dad's involvement in the naming situation.

I really like Althea Grace and Gracelynn Francesca. I think Aglaia Grace sounds really nice, but I'm not 100% sold.

Artandco Wed 24-Dec-14 11:46:13

Theodora Grace?

WowserBowser Wed 24-Dec-14 11:49:53

Althea is lovely. I would have considered it if Ds was a girl as Dh's favourite name is Thea.

Kelko Wed 24-Dec-14 12:11:01

I don't particularly like Theodora, as it's a little bit too old fashioned for my tastes. I don't mind Theodore or Theodoros, but I don't have a son!

Yes, I really like Althea. I don't think I've heard of it before. I also like Althaea, which according to Wikipedia, is the version used within Greek mythology.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now