Talk

Advanced search

Juno? Otto?

(19 Posts)
LeOrange Sun 21-Dec-14 21:37:29

I am toying with names for DC3 - no idea whether we are expecting a boy or a girl, but at the moment Juno and Otto are the forerunners. We are both teachers, so tend to go for names we are unlikely to hear in the classroom.

So, my questions are, what else might be like and what might be nice middle names for the aforementioned.

TIA

InanimateCarbonRod Sun 21-Dec-14 21:43:27

Juno I love. Funky yet girly.

Otto I'm not liking. I just keep thinking of stoner Otto from The Simpsons.

LeOrange Sun 21-Dec-14 21:45:16

I hear that. We like Germanic or Old Testament names for boys (family connections) and slightly gutsy ones for girls (we have an Isaac and a Nancy already).

Beangarda Sun 21-Dec-14 23:59:42

Otto I really like. I met a cool one year old called that in London at the weekend. Juno I do also like, but it does also always call up 'Junoesque', which might be a lot to live up to as a rib-thin, flat-chested fourteen-year-old. Or differently problematic if she's plumpish. I suppose I'm always wary of names with connotations of body type like 'Willow'.

VainVulva Mon 22-Dec-14 00:11:14

I love both names, and had bith on my list. So I will share what other names were on my list as we may have similar taste!

Flora
Fleur
Mabel
Aphra
Iris
Posy
Kitty
Effie
Astrid
Polly
Pearl
Juniper

Rex
Sonny
Ezra
Jude
Arlo
Asa
Wilder
Cassius
Kit

AlfAlf Mon 22-Dec-14 00:20:01

Love both those names. Isaac and Nancy too smile impeccable taste, op!

30somethingm Mon 22-Dec-14 00:22:23

The only Otto I know are rugby players and of course Otto von Bismarck

30somethingm Mon 22-Dec-14 00:22:47

*Ottos

DramaAlpaca Mon 22-Dec-14 00:23:12

Juno is wonderful, I love it.

Not so keen on Otto, but I like the vibe you're going for.

I like Jude, Arlo & Kit from Vain's suggestions for boys.

For middle names I think you need something simple & classic to offset the quirky first names.

Happy36 Mon 22-Dec-14 00:24:10

I think they´re both lovely.

feckawwf Mon 22-Dec-14 00:34:36

Otto is a fab name.... Although it does come up as ottoman on auto correct blush

burgatroyd Mon 22-Dec-14 06:24:38

Both lovely!

Other suggestions:
Cleo
Thisbe
Juniper
Vera
Judy
Bonnie
Delphi

Orson
Sven
Arlo (trendy but lovely)

moxon Mon 22-Dec-14 11:35:50

Otto is great. I like Juno, but know quite a lot of pets with that name too...

moxon Mon 22-Dec-14 11:36:51

How about Jane instead of Juno? Old fashioned, strong, not very popular choice nowadays.

Bowlersarm Mon 22-Dec-14 11:49:43

Really like them both.

I know two great, popular teen Otto's, so it's a cool name for me.

shellbyville Mon 22-Dec-14 21:41:02

Love Juno so much.

Jenni2legs Tue 23-Dec-14 15:21:23

I think I'd go with a three syllable middle name with Juno, having trouble thinking of any I love with it though...

LeOrange Tue 23-Dec-14 18:23:12

Thanks all - VV, unsurprisingly, I love lots of your choices. Thanks for listing! I haven't heard the word Junoesque before and I thought I knew lots of words.

LeOrange Tue 23-Dec-14 18:31:03

I hadn't realised we had a type of name: we have Orson, Otto, Rex, Hector on the boy list and for girls; Rita (she would be Rita May), Juno, Esther and Edith.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now