Talk

Advanced search

My boys' names short list - which do you prefer?

(39 Posts)
TashaD80 Fri 19-Dec-14 23:12:23

It's so much easier to think of names for a girl than it is a boy, I think, because there's so much more acceptable variety for girls. I found out at my 14 week scan that it's 90% certain we're having a boy though so now I'm trying to focus just on boys' names.

My husband is rather difficult to encourage in this area - he just glances at my list, guffaws, and walks away. Not helpful! But at least he's now vaguely saying he likes Otis, which is my current favourite, so there's hope yet!

Here's my list - which do you like most and which do you think are awful? In case it's of any use, our surname is Davey.

Austen
Archer (nn. Archie)
Arthur (nn. Artie)
Oscar
Felix (nn. Fox)
Jasper
Maxim (nn. Max)
Sawyer
Otis
Lochlan (nn. Lockie, Lox)

Drake (middle name)
Oates (middle name)
Arlo (middle name)
Frost (middle name)

My ideal name is Otis Fox Davey. Any First name combinations with the listed middle names that you like most?

Thanks! smile

Hedgehogsbuzz1 Fri 19-Dec-14 23:16:07

Otis

Sawyer

Bowlersarm Fri 19-Dec-14 23:16:15

Nice list. I like Otis, although as it is so uncommon I think putting it with Fox is a bit overkill.

Otherwise archer/Archie for me.

carbolicsoaprocked Fri 19-Dec-14 23:39:12

I like Felix Jasper/Jasper Felix. Oscar is lovely too. I know a kid called Fox (not short for anything) and although I thought it was weird at the start I love it now.

divingoffthebalcony Fri 19-Dec-14 23:42:23

I think Austen is more commonly spelled Austin (as in Texas) rather than Austen (as in Jane).

Depends on the pronunciation you would go for, I suppose, because I would pronounce the two differently.

Guin1 Sat 20-Dec-14 03:55:15

My favourites are Felix, Lochlan and Otis. Arthur Davey sounds too much like Arthur Daley, but that won't mean anything to your son's generation!

montyandmabel Sat 20-Dec-14 08:48:22

Oscar Fox Davey sounds awesome!

I also like Austin (spelt this way) & Sawyer.

Fox & Drake are great middle names too!

Good luck!! x

baskingseals Sat 20-Dec-14 09:02:26

Love Otis.

VertdeTerre Sat 20-Dec-14 09:03:07

Otis reminds me of the lift manufacturer, sorry. Not a fan.

Felix is nice but reminds me of the cat food.

Of the others on your list, Jasper and Oscar are the nicest I think, with Fox or Arlo as the middle name. In case popularity is a concern, I've noticed these names are becoming a bit more common round here (London), as is Austin/Austen.

AnonyMust Sat 20-Dec-14 09:07:25

Love Otis Fox Davey

AnonyMust Sat 20-Dec-14 09:09:25

Don't go with oscar and fox in same name. Sounds like police code.
Lovely separately.

florascotia Sat 20-Dec-14 11:10:09

Although the name is pronouced 'Lochlan' (with a Scottish 'ch' sound in the middle), the normal Scottish spelling is Lachlan, with 2 'a's.

Irish Mumsnetters may want to correct me - please! - but I think the usual Irish spelling is Lochlann.

Arthur is lovely. I also like Jasper and Felix, but since Felis is so well known as the biological name for the cat genus (as well as the cat food), it perhaps seems a little bit strange to use the nickname Fox - an unrelated animal.

HollyJollyXmas Sat 20-Dec-14 11:16:24

Otis is lovely, my favourite by a mile.

zaracharlotte Sat 20-Dec-14 11:20:44

I wouldn't use Maxim. I can't get past the lad's mag.

Castlemilk Sat 20-Dec-14 11:57:39

Go for Otis! Unusual yes, but known, and easy to spell and say.

Otis Felix better than Otis Fox I think.

claracluck1978 Sat 20-Dec-14 12:33:39

Although its an ancient show, Arthur, with your surname makes me think of Arthur Daley and Minder!

I love Fox tho!

Sophronia Sat 20-Dec-14 12:57:42

I like Arthur, Jasper, Max, Otis and Lochlan (prefer sp. Lachlan)

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 20-Dec-14 13:09:08

My favourites are Austen, Oscar and Felix (but not called Fox). Not keen on the surname ones (Sawyer, Frost, Drake, Oates). Like all the rest.

bluewisteria Sat 20-Dec-14 20:13:27

Oscar Arlo Davey

I like Otis Lochlan Davey v v much.

bluewisteria Sat 20-Dec-14 20:14:59

Ahhh but initials spell O.L.D...

Hum.

Lochlan Otis Davey? You can always call them Otis but it looks better on paper this way around. My mum and cousin both have that set up.

Arthur or Oscar. Must admit I'm with your husband on most of them.

WowserBowser Sat 20-Dec-14 20:20:30

Otis Fox is ace!

AlfAlf Sat 20-Dec-14 20:24:51

I actually know of siblings called Austin and Sawyer! They're American.

I prefer your more traditional first names: Otis, Felix, Oscar, Max, Jasper. I like Lachlan too, but would spell it as I have.
I'd steer well clear of Archer, because of the awful Jeffrey, and I agree with Clara about Arthur with your surname.

I love Fox as a middle name smile

BrowersBlues Sat 20-Dec-14 20:36:51

Otis Davey or Arthur Davey - completely love the name Artie. There was an Irish musician called Arty McGlynn who was very talented. Loved the name Artie the first time I heard it.

WowserBowser Sat 20-Dec-14 21:22:42

Arthur Davey is like Arthur Daley

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now