Talk

Advanced search

Boys name Tyrion

(41 Posts)
tatt2guy Fri 19-Dec-14 09:17:38

So my partner and i have 3 months till little one is born. We have gone through loads of names but are struggling. We both however love the name Tyrion. Neither of us are bothered about game of thrones we both just love the name. Id happily use it but im concerened whether it is suitable.
We want something unique and dont want something mainstream. Has anyone on here named there child Tyrion?

Persipan Fri 19-Dec-14 10:06:10

I'm all for unusual names and have no issue at all with names lifted from books/films/TV/wherever, but I do worry about using a name that's very strongly associated with a character in a story that isn't finished yet, just in case it later takes a turn you weren't expecting. I also think people will assume a level of GoT fandom on your part and you'll have to spend a lot of time saying "no, really, we just like the name". That said, of its the name you guys like best, go for it.

Teeb Fri 19-Dec-14 10:09:34

It's hard when a name you've always liked suddenly becomes very topical. Would you be okay with the assumption being you lifted it from a tv show?

Hakluyt Fri 19-Dec-14 10:15:34

Does it exist as a name outside Game of Thrones?

cadidog Fri 19-Dec-14 10:15:57

Before GoT it was a relatively popular Welsh girls name so not only do you risk looking like a Got fanatic you also risk taking 'foreign' name out of context - assuming you're not Welsh of course

Hakluyt Fri 19-Dec-14 10:16:40

But anyway, it does seem a bit contradictory to say you want something unique and not mainstream but then choose something associated with one of the most popular TV programmes ever................

QueenofKelsingra Fri 19-Dec-14 10:35:51

don't do it.

I completely love the name Kettricken, nn Tricks, but it is a fictional character from a book and for that reason I wouldn't use it. It is my favourite name ever but I couldn't do it to my child - they have to live with the name and will spend their life going ' yeah, my mother gave me an invented name from a book' which isn't fair.

my plan is to get a cat to use the name instead! all our pets have had 'names we wish we could have called the children but they are too weird'!

Hakluyt Fri 19-Dec-14 10:38:30

My DS is Patrick and was sometimes Trick until he was old enough to object you could try that?

shakemysilliesout Fri 19-Dec-14 11:40:35

I don't watch game of thrones so have never heard this name and it's association. In isolation I don't like it. I also don't know how to say it. Is it similar to Tyrone? Or tyrese? With the ty sound.

emeline Fri 19-Dec-14 11:43:49

Never heard of the name. First thought was it sounds like the name of a tap range or a bathroom fitting.

On hearing it's Welsh, I get the hang of it more and like it. But if you aren't welsh... Then it's a bit random and your son will be asked all his life if he's Welsh and have to say..errr....

moxon Fri 19-Dec-14 12:22:13

Welsh girl's name? But GOT boy's name?

Deerhound Fri 19-Dec-14 12:27:59

I don't think it's a good idea. What about Tierney or Tiernan instead?

UnrelatedToElephants Fri 19-Dec-14 12:29:49

Teifion?

tatt2guy Fri 19-Dec-14 12:40:01

Well, we've still got 3 months to decide. If Tyrion causes to much negativity we will just have to go with our back up plan of Frodo! smile

Hakluyt Fri 19-Dec-14 12:45:00

Just be prepared for the wry smiles if you tell people that you wanted something unique and non mainstream so you chose Tyrion........grin

tatt2guy Fri 19-Dec-14 12:51:48

When i said we wanted something unique, i meant we didnt want the usual john, james, paul etc.
Nothing wrong with those names, just want something a little bit different.

Hakluyt Fri 19-Dec-14 12:56:18

John and Paul would stand out much more in a reception class than Tyrion!

TotleighTowers Fri 19-Dec-14 12:58:02

I really like the way the name sounds, but wouldn't choose it because of the GoT thing - even though I like the character and the show. My DH also pointed out that his backstory isn't very auspicious, not even taking into account what could happen to the character in the future.

I would identify what you like about it - scansion, sounds, fact it is unusual, medieval/Welsh sound - and then try to find other, non GoT, names that fit the bill. There is a Welsh boys' name Merrion, for example, which has a similar feel (and Merry is a cute nickname if you're Tolkien fans...)

Beehatch Fri 19-Dec-14 13:06:49

I know it as a Welsh girls name (not a GoT fan). It was actually on my list for DD

divingoffthebalcony Fri 19-Dec-14 13:11:11

There must be a lot of babies and toddlers with GoT names right now, and they're going to date REALLY badly.

I know you love the name outside of the show, but no one is going to know that. I wouldn't use it.

tatt2guy Fri 19-Dec-14 13:13:23

Just reading through a few other threads. NO matter what anyone says, Tyrion is still a hell of a lot better than Dorcas

shakemysilliesout Fri 19-Dec-14 13:14:33

I don't know any Paul's under 30!

Hakluyt Fri 19-Dec-14 13:26:18

Yep- being a boy called Dorcas would be grim.grin

But it is a perfectly well established English first name. It's not just lifted from a television programme!

Hakluyt Fri 19-Dec-14 13:27:56

And I have a child whose name was heavily influnced by a television programme 18 years ago.nit was an incredibly unusual name then- and caused quite a few raised eyebrows..........

burgatroyd Fri 19-Dec-14 13:33:17

It sounds like tyrant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now